1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retro video game collecting thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

A couple of years ago I set up a retro game area in my house. I have an NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Atari, XBOX, PS1, PS2, Wii, N64 all hooked up to a couple of TVs on this pretty neat shelving system I purchased for this purpose. I already had a bunch of games from my childhood for those systems, but bought a few big lots on eBay, scoured a few garage sales and have put together a pretty large collection of games.

My best games are some pretty rare Genesis games that I found in a poorly described eBay auction...a couple game that go for $50 to $100 a piece and I bought the whole lot of 25 games for like $75. My other good games are a pretty good collection of SNES games I personally had from my childhood. They are open and played, but in great shape and I had a "box of boxes". I was pretty meticulous as a kid, I think because I collected comics, toys and cards: so I had all the paperwork, manual, maps, and boxes for the various Zelda titles, from NES, SNES, and N64...also Metroid and Super Metroid, etc. Not extremely valuable if they were mint in box, but having the manual and boxes even if opened really increases the value.

I just like playing them every once and a while, and since they were the actual consoles I had as a kid, its kind of cool.

My biggest regret is quite a few of my NES and SNES games "walked away" with friends while I was in college. Mega Man X is the one cart that I really miss. Strangely enough I still have the box and manual, just not the game. Not terribly expensive to replace, and I might do so soon, but it was one of my favorite games.

2. BleedsRocketRed

Man, you are a few years too late. Getting into the retro scene is very expensive right now. Its about at its peak cost wise. Prices shot up majorly around the 2015 mark. Getting those gems and awesome finds ended around 2010. I have been in it since about the late 90's. Still have my original systems plus a mix of various other NIB and CIB systems and games.

I have a massive Nintendo collection, all consoles, a nearly complete N64 set. All RGB modded systems, original CIB's, Ultra HDMI N64, HiDef NES and all my RGB modded systems displayed via 2 PVM's (20M4U and a 20L5)

What are you looking to achieve with a collection? I have done it all so I can point you in the right direction.

3. Beezy

Beezy Member

Yeah, I'm probably going to start selling off my some of my Saturn and Sega CD stuff in the near future. Prices are good and I don't want to be left holding the bag.

4. what

what Member

Speaking of retro video gaming I just bought Space Invaders for the Super NES. An old boy, this damn game is just about perfect. So addicting. So therapeutic. The Thump Thump Thump of the squid creatures coming down line by line and your gun making the Ping sound every time you hit something.

Before I bought the game I watched some reviews by some kids and they thought that Space Invaders was stupid what's the point. They Don't Know Jack schitt.
    This game is probably one of the most varied and challenging games there is, even today. if you don't know what the hell you're doing you won't even clear stage 1.

5. Beezy

Beezy Member

Currently in the process of going all digital for my retro game collection.

Sold off all my Genesis and TurboGrafx 16 stuff over the last year or so. I bought a Mega Sg (https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg) to replace my janky Genesis. Also bought the latest EverDrive flash carts for all my Nintendo consoles.

Just finished my Dreamcast overhaul. Had a DCDigital HDMI board installed by a modder to get native digital audio and pixel perfect video output. He also upgraded the fan and Replaced the optical drive with a MODE optical drive emulator along with a 1TB hard drive and a SD card extension mount. Got a Brook adapter so I can use wireless PlayStation or Xbox controllers. Pictures of the install and the MODE/HDMI mod in action:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Installed a GC Loader ODE in my GameCube. Got a Carby HDMI dongle, which will let me sell my rare GameCube component video cable.

I have a PSDigital HDMI mod kit and another MODE kit waiting to be installed in my PlayStation. Also working on installing a MODE kit in my Saturn.

#45 Beezy, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  6. likestohypeguy

I play the mini nes classic and ps mini classic, Activision anthology on PC with some of their acquired imagic titles like demon attack. Over the years I've tried different Atari 2600 plug-and-play TV game things. They have been coming out with some great ones lately, more games, legit controllers with the actual plugs that work with the old consoles including paddles.

Thinking about picking this one up at Sam's for $150, saw it in person just yesterday. everything about it solid. Roller balls sometime feel to light, everything about this feels great.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/legends-...OMgbwvZ1x7gyIFZVOx5FUQ&pubNAME=Slickdeals+LLC

7. what

what Member

you should buy some real hardware.
    Like the super nt, mega sg, or an original gameboy.

8. likestohypeguy

[​IMG]

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

[​IMG]
    When I was a boy, we had one of these. The Magnavox odyssey. You actually had to place something on the tv screen. One of my brothers may still have this game.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Am building a shed, with switchers and lots of shelving - as I have most consoles......need to get stuff out of the closet and playable.

DD

11. lpbman

lpbman Member

Retro consoles are cool and all... but emulated games look amazing

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is this the thread where dudes are talking about all the hot girls they’re banging?

DaDakota and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  13. VanityHalfBlack

I Have a SNES with like 15 games.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You're just jealous because we're talking to hot chicks on the internet all day.

DD

15. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I’m lazy and bought the NES and SNES classic editions when they came out, hacked them via watching a YouTube video and each one has basically every game produced for each console.

17. Beezy

Beezy Member

Emulation is certainly the best option for most people - lowest cost of entry and most convenient. I'm going to make a cheap RetroPie setup sometime. I do like the authentic experience of playing on original hardware as well though, which is why I'm modernizing my older consoles.

The mini consoles have a considerable amount of input lag that is noticeable on games that require precise inputs like Mario or Mega Man. I do own the NES, SNES, Genesis and TurboGrafx mini consoles because they are pretty cool though.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

My altar to my childhood

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut and Beezy like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I moved cross country from Houston to Anaheim when I was thirteen, and we rented storage for all the stuff until we could find a house. That spot was robbed and I lost my Sega Genesis with all the games.

Still miss my Street Fighter. :(

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

the only reason I post here still is in the hopes that one day I can pay or become good enough friends that @Xerobull will find pity and mercy in his heart to help me / build for me a cabinet with "a thousand games" ..pgabs might even call it dick riding but xero looks at this thread and laughs