1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retro video game collecting thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Jul 19, 2018.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Pong was most definitely my first console game.
    Coleco Football first handheld.
    My first Arcade game was depth charge.

I have no desire to play any of them. But I probably would.

2. what

what Member

Is the Earthbound in German or is it in English?
    If it's in German that's the reason why it's so cheap.

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Cleverly disguised "I'm so rich I can spend $230 on a 25-year-old 16-bit video game" thread.

RudyTBag likes this.
  4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Ok, I may have worked there, got the job by calling an ad for the place in the back of an EGM or something. They'd let us take home whatever we wanted to play, best thing was the arcade like system called Neo-Geo..

5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Speaking of $230 games...

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Oldest stuff I have is just PS1 games, mostly because I can still play them on a PS3. Also got DS games (playable on 3DS), PSP games, OG Xbox games (all playable on 360 + possibly XB1 in future), GC games (playable on Wii).

I think there's a little bit of a collecting bent to it, but that's accidental more than anything. I have them to play them. I will never bother collecting older stuff like NES/SNES/Genesis, because it's too easy to just get that stuff on emulator if I want. I still play Powerball and Streets of Rage on emulator, and I'm planning to play the fan-made ROM hack Chrono Trigger "sequel" soon-ish.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  7. what

what Member

Not really. I just look at it like this. I can sell the game, if I wanted to get rid of it, for $210. And it would be an easy sell.

It isn't like it loses that much value when I buy it, because the demand is so high.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So I put out some old nes games recently .. I found a box of my childhood games complete w/ box/manual. . Megaman 2, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, Zelda 1 & 2 and about 20+ others complete

Note* I'm married, hahah

9. what

what Member

All NES games?

Anyway I don't even know what he's talking about because most chicks are into videogames bigtime, even hot chicks.

I myself originally owned an Atari 2600, and I bought the original NES. I think I only bought 1 game for that system, Zelda. It came with Super Mario Bros. I stopped playing it around 1987. I never own another video game system until I briefly owned the GameCube, which I pawned a month after I bought it.

I then briefly owned the Nintendo switch, but I got rid of that as well.

But in the process of playing some switch games, there was a game that I played on it which peaked my interest and that was Shovel Knight.

Shovel Knight single-handedly got me into Retro collecting, believe it or not. I love that game so much. Then after I found the super NT I was pretty much hooked.

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

In case someone here is interested. Letting it go for 350 OBO. Send me a PM

[​IMG]

11. Buck Turgidson

Somewhere in storage, in the same box as my Atari, NES and Sega Genesis, is a Dreamcast with every game they made (my housemate at the time knew where to find them and burned them all). Haven't owned a game console since, yall have me tempted to bust that guy out again.

12. what

what Member

That rat-b*stard m***********.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

It was a pretty sweet deal for me: I bought the console, he provided all the games.

Now if I just knew where that box was.

14. what

what Member

I just realized that the super NT comes with a cheat code system built in that allows you to enter the game genie cheat codes. Lol, now I can super jump with Mario right off my screen, haha.

You don't even need the game genie cartridge to do it.
    Man this super NT was the best purchase I made in a while.
    now if they would just make an Atari 2600 like that and I can play Pitfall till my hands bleed. And Frogger of course.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I have an original brand new in box NES from the 1980's. When we were kids we won it in a raffle although we had a second one we used to play with over the years. So it has never been opened after all these years.

A few years ago my mom was about to give to some neighbor kids and I was like mayne hold up. Then I looked online and realized it was worth at least a thousand. It's still in the box in our home. What's funny is that some thieves broke into my parent's home after the recent hurricane when everyone was flooded out. They took some random items of questionable value but left this item not knowing what it was.

I was also driving through rural Texas one time and I came across a guy who had an original Super Mario Brothers arcade system (from the 1980's) in his donut shop. His kid used to play it, but it wasn't working anymore. Some power supply issue. He said he would sell it to me for $200 if I ever came back to pick it up.

16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Y’all should definitely check out the Classic Game Fest in Austin at the end of this month. Lots of cool stuff and they have classic games to purchase of course along with panels. Last year they gave out coupons to get free games at a local game shop in Austin

17. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

18. Beezy

Beezy Member

I need to photo my retro game collection sometime. I've got a bunch of CIB stuff for NES, SNES, Genesis, TG16, Game Boy, and newer systems. I stopped collecting years ago when the prices started to get crazy.

Some of the best bargain finds in my collection are new copies of Demon's Crest (SNES), Lufia 2 (SNES), and Rule of Rose (PS2) that I got for about $30 each. I think the most valuable game in my collection is a mint CIB Snatcher (Sega CD) that I got for $40. I regret selling my copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga years ago though.

19. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

I bought a bunch Super NES games from my local Gamestop back around 2002-2003. Some good titles too. Super Metroid, Mario All Stars, Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, all the Donkey Kong games, Secret of Mana, Super Mario World 2, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG. In total I bought around 20 games. The most I paid for a game was $20.

Just for the LULZ I ocassionally post my collection for sale on the local facebook groups. No way in hell am I parting with my collection but it's funny too see people try to low ball me.

#39 vaioavan63, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  20. what

what Member

I wouldn't mind having Demon's crest. but I wouldn't want one that was Factory sealed because I mean you wouldn't want to open it.

As far as snatcher is concerned you better sell that before the CD rot screws you.

The good thing about Super Nintendo cartridges is that they're probably never going to have any degradation like CDs do.