1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retro video game collecting thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Jul 19, 2018.

1. what

what Member

I thought I'd start a new thread. I have just started getting into Retro video game collecting and I was wondering if anybody else here collects and plays old video games.

I bought the super NT by analogue, and have been collecting some Super NES titles.
    My biggest purchase has been Earthbound and I spent about $230 on that.
    I just won an auction that had Kirby dreamland 3 with a manual and Kirby Superstars with box and manual and a few other scattered games Aladdin for example.
    I got this lot for $145!!!
    If it's as clean as I think it is I got a bargain because the games all totaled out would be at least $300.
    Also have Secret of Mana, Castlevania and pretty much all the Super Marios, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, Etc.

Are there any other collectors here?

Killatron 2000 and NateNate like this.
  2. what

what Member

Also if there's anybody selling any Super NES titles hit me up because I might be interested.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I got that level 3000 Charazard pokemon card. Hit me up on ICQ, if interested.

Invisible Fan, Yung-T and ramotadab like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You really are a 40 year old virgin.

Invisible Fan, Zboy, King1 and 3 others like this.
  5. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Nope. I played them back in the day. They were cool for a bit, then I moved on. I have a life, family and such. Playing some old games for the heck of it when I could be playing Fortnite, blizzard games, steam games...meh, just not worth it and frankly a waste of time. I mean, hell, you might as well play jacks, or hopscotch, or marbles if that floats your boat and want to play some real old stuff. Me...I prefer new stuff. But to each his own.

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Never heard of any of that crap you're spewing. Some new stuff is ok, but old school is typically what I prefer.

That said, I bought an SNES USB controller and got an emulator. I can play every game on that console for free.

IMO, if you're going to collect for collecting sake, get a Dreamcast or Wii U library.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  7. what

what Member

I think old school games are coming back and especially the 16 bit era.
    Also definitely think Super Nintendo games are the ones people start collecting first.
    You can probably get better deals on Wii U games for sure.
    The Sega Dreamcast they're going to be really high dollar games on that too.

8. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I still have the Playstation 1 with my memory cards. I know I still have Tekken 3, and I might have Twisted Metal 2. I also have an N64. I use that mainly for Perfect Dark. Like @Roscoe Arbuckle, I too am using an emulator for most of my retro gaming. Lately I have been playing NBA Jam (original, not tournament), Rampart, Legend of Zelda: ALTTP, and Castlevania: SOTN. I haven't started any formal collection of old titles, but I have been thinking about it recently. I really want an original Castlevania: SOTN disc (all black disc) for the Playstation, and a Legend of Zelda: OOT cartridge for the N64.

ramotadab likes this.
  9. marky :)

marky :) Member

I don't know about collecting but I kept a bunch of my SNES games + SNES. Plugged it in couple of months ago and it was still working fine. Played some of my old games and looking at that pixelated crap got me crosseyed.

10. droxford

droxford Member

I don't collect, but still have our first home gaming system: Magnavox Odyssey (the very first home video game system).

..(or, maybe it's in my brother's possession...don't really remember...)

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  11. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I got one of these for around $20 a month ago. It was cool to play some of my childhood games for a day or two but it's collecting dust now.

[​IMG]

ramotadab likes this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Homebound for $250? I played it on my mini ones and spent $60 for it.

I do have a SNES cartridge collection. Turtles in Time is my baby. I have NES and N54 games too. Lost my SNES and N64 during Harvey though.

13. body slam

body slam Member

curious how you hooked it up? I know longer have the special A/V cord that came with my super nes. Plugging in threw the antenna jack does not work because the tv is digital.

14. what

what Member

If you're talking about the super NT that I bought it actually converts to 1080p so you can use an HDMI cable.
    If you're trying to actually hook up a regular Super Nintendo you can do that with a converter called the framemeister.
    Or you could buy regular CRT TV with some people prefer because of the scan lines.
    The super NT is a hardware emulation system that recreates the game almost perfectly.
    They have other emulation systems that are software-based like the Retron 5. but one disadvantage of the Retron 5 and other software emulations is sthat they lag.
    If you want a super NT you better get to pre-order in it because after this order when they come out in September you probably won't get one without paying significantly more.

body slam likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Just be ready for some really horrible graphics cause the pixels are stretched on 16:9 tvs

body slam likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't collect old junk. But I do still have a Saturn with the Japanese version of X-Men vs Street Fighter & RAM cartridge. Someone make an offer. Also, Chrono Trigger and SF2 for SNES.

17. what

what Member

I might be interested in Chrono Trigger. Can you take a picture of the cartridge the front and back and post it here.

18. droxford

droxford Member

Here's an internet pic of the Magnavox Odyssey system that we have:

[​IMG]

Invisible Fan and Torn n Frayed like this.
  19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Anyone recall that old Japanese video game store corner of Westheimer & Chimney Rock called Gametronix? This is like 91/92? They had Famicon and Megadrive games way before they were made into games here. Epic place...!

TMac'n and LFE171 like this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Still got all my SNES games and the console, always surprised when seeing how expensive retro games are in the US.

U can get stuff like Earthbound for <30 bucks here on German ebay, I also bought my favourite game Terranigma for like 15€ ~five years ago after my original cartridge turned bad. Guess they produced far less copies in the US and ish is rare.