1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Resigning Cole

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Stros, Jul 1, 2019.

?

Would you offer Cole a mega contract (e.g. 5 years $150M) if it means losing Correa and Springer?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    73.4%
  1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I know there’s a trade rumor and FA moves thread but felt this needed it’s on thread.

As good as JV has been, after yesterday’s start, Cole has arguably been even better this season, which is pretty crazy in itself given how good JV was the first couple of months and there were a few starts Cole looked human.

Given how the current state of our top pitching prospects, I think it’s reasonable to start getting a bit worried about our future rotation if we don’t show Cole the $$$. When you think about what our advantage is over the Yankees and Twins, it’s the fact we can throw JV and Cole at you at least four times in a 7 games series.

With that said, if I’m Lunhow, I think I’d be prepared to offer him market value, which I’m assuming will be VERY high. Given Alvarez looks to be a star and Tucker will in all likelihood be an average RF at worst, it might be best to let Springer and Correa walk...especially Correa (Springer is older and seems like the type of guy who may take a team friendly deal so maybe we can keep him).

We have Reddick, Brantley and Gurriel coming off the books after next year and Chirinos after this year...all of those can be replaced by cheap prospects. In other words we should have the room to offer Cole a huge contract and I think we’d be foolish not to do so...the guy is an absolute stud and anyone who thinks we can find someone to replace him is misguided IMO.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think they can afford Cole even if they give up trying to extend Correa and Springer. I think Springer is the only other core player they can hope to extend. Springer is older and 30+ year old CF haven’t fared well in free agency. Both Correa and Cole have hope for huge deals that would be out of the Astros price range.

3. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros are not resigning Cole

4. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I’m not questioning whether or not you’re right, because I assume you are, but have you heard that from people around the organization? Or more of an educated guess?

Nook likes this.
  5. AstrosRockets1818

At least he will for sure sign a big contract and not be a douche like Keuchel.
    Will we get our draft pick if Cole walks?

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He would be worth every penny

7. Grydian

Grydian Member

Yes we will absolutely offer Cole a qualifying offer. Cole will refuse and teams will be fighting to sign him. Springer is the heart of this team we have to resign him.

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

We cannot allow the music to stop

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Cole and Correa are history once they get to FA.

Springer may be back. The market will be much thinner for him due to his age and position, but I'm sure the Astros will have the same reservations about signing him that everybody else will.

No Worries likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

2019 offseason checklist:

1. Re-sign Chirinos
    2. Extend Springer
    3. Flip Reddick for an overpaid BoR innings-eater SP or late inning reliever
    4. Collect draft pick when Cole signs elsewhere.

11. Nook

Nook Member

The last I heard anything about Cole and an extension was either this winter or fall and their belief was that they would not be able to afford what he would get on the open market based on other players and contractual obligations.

My personal opinion is also that they will not keep him, although I would like to be wrong.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's nothing stopping them from offering a competitive offer. Things that likely have changed from last off season to now are what the front office truly expects from their farm system products. Going into last off-season, Whitely was expected to make a push at some point this year (now looking unlikely). There was also optimism that James could move into the rotation, and they wanted to see if McHugh could become a viable starter again.

Thus far, this season has offered more questions than answers. In the end, there very well could be mutual agreement between Cole and the Astros. He's become every bit the ace pitcher here that was always expected of him as a #1 pick.... I don't think that weighs lightly on a player at all.

If he truly feels this is the best place to succeed... and the Astros can compensate accordingly, deals can happen.

13. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on the willingness of the Astros to pay for going into luxury tax penalties for multiple seasons.

The Astros have a lot of free agents and arbitration eligible players, so there will be spots to fill. The biggest sticking point is that resigning Cole puts them in line for being in the luxury tax multiple years. Unless the rules change, the amount of the tax goes up by % for each season you are in the tax. I believe we are in the tax right now for the first time. Being slightly over the tax isn't a huge problem (a few million), it becomes an issue when it becomes 10-15 million or more. Also, the Astros do have budget issues, it is a chief reason Morton isn't an Astros player anymore.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. vince

vince Member

Cole is most definitely a cornerstone guy. He is on the cusp of his dominance, he’s about to get into another stratosphere. I think the Astros can and should offer him a Market competitive offer. You don’t find Aces like Cole just anywhere... Never count your chickens before they hatch, for all we know Springer might be inching to sign with the Red Sox; if Cole wants to be here you ink him on a contract!

One thing we know is that the market can’t be assumed. Keutchel thought he was a shoe in for a 150 million dollar contract, he got a rude awakening.

jcee15 likes this.
  15. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Cole wants to go west, I imagine he will be a Dodger, Angel or Padre next season...

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The Astros tried during spring traning. They quickly realized Verlander was a bargain at 33 million a year for 2 years compared to what Cole wanted.

The extensions for Verlander, Pressly, and Bregman ate up a big part of the salary that will be coming off the books after the season. Then you have Correa and Springer probably costing about 15 million more next season combined. McCullers, Diaz, Marisnick, and Peacock will be getting raises too. The Astros then have to fill the voids left if Harris, McHugh, Rondon, Miley, and Chirinos aren't resigned.

Astros will likely be in a position to need to dump some salary just to fill out a decent bullpen and keep Chirinos or get another catcher.

Unless Crane makes a decision to pony up the money Cole is gone. Also, Crane answers to a board so it makes it even less likely.

17. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

Correa is gone regardless. We can keep springer and Cole because Brantley will walk after next year filled by Alvarez or Tucker

18. HTown2017Champs

I'd love to see Cole re-signed, but it really doesn't look likely. And I don't think this will have any affect on Correa, he's already as good as gone once he becomes a FA. Springer is the most likely to be extended, but we'll see. What others said is true, we'd have a hard time coming up with the money for him.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Bregman said it best a while ago. One day we’ll look back and realize how much talent was on the same team together. Crazy good. Let’s get another ring this year.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I like Cole and would be open to him continuing to be an Astro. But, the OP is putting too much weight on one start. Looking deeper, he has been very good in June as a whole as well, true. But lets not forget his ERA was north of 4.00 in April and May.

By all means we should make an offer. To my eyes, he was better (more consistent) last year over this one though.