1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Research says there are ways to reduce racial bias.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Pretty lengthy article on untangling the discourse we're seeing online through time, empathy and connecting rather than defending, judging and deflecting. Worth taking a dump or two to read through.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/11/15/13595508/racism-trump-research-study

In 2016, researchers stumbled on a radical tactic for reducing another person’s bigotry: a frank, brief conversation.

The study, authored by David Broockman at Stanford University and Joshua Kalla at the University of California Berkeley, looked at how simple conversations can help combat anti-transgender attitudes. In the research, people canvassed the homes of more than 500 voters in South Florida. The canvassers, who could be trans or not, asked the voters to simply put themselves in the shoes of trans people — to understand their problems — through a 10-minute, nonconfrontational conversation. The hope was that the brief discussion could lead people to reevaluate their biases.

It worked. The trial found not only that voters’ anti-trans attitudes declined but that they remained lower three months later, showing an enduring result. And those voters’ support for laws that protect trans people from discrimination increased, even when they were presented with counterarguments for such laws.

“Telling people they’re racist, sexist, and xenophobic is going to get you exactly nowhere,” said Alana Conner, executive director of Stanford University’s Social Psychological Answers to Real-World Questions Center. “It’s such a threatening message. One of the things we know from social psychology is when people feel threatened, they can’t change, they can’t listen.”

Arlie Hochschild, a sociologist and author of Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right, provided an apt analogy for white rural Americans’ feeling of neglect: As they see it, they are all in this line toward a hill with prosperity at the top. But over the past few years, globalization and income stagnation have caused the line to stop moving. And from their perspective, people — black and brown Americans, women — are now cutting in the line, because they’re getting new (and more equal) opportunities through new anti-discrimination laws and policies like affirmative action.

As a result, Hochschild told me that rural white Americans “feel like a minority group. They feel like a disappearing group. Both minority and invisible.”

So when they hear accusations of racism, they feel like what they see as the “real” issues — those that afflict them — are getting neglected. This, obviously, makes it difficult to raise issues of race at all with big segments of the population, because they’re often suspicious of the motives.

What’s more, accusations of racism can cause white Americans to become incredibly defensive — to the point that they might reinforce white supremacy. Robin DiAngelo, who studies race at Westfield State University, described this phenomenon as “white fragility” in a groundbreaking 2011 paper:

White people in North America live in a social environment that protects and insulates them from race-based stress. This insulated environment of racial protection builds white expectations for racial comfort while at the same time lowering the ability to tolerate racial stress, leading to what I refer to as White Fragility. White Fragility is a state in which even a minimum amount of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves. These moves include the outward display of emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress-inducing situation. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium.​

Most Americans, white people included, want to think that they’re not capable of racism — particularly after the civil rights movement, overt racism is widely viewed as unacceptable in American society. Yet racism, obviously, still exists. And when some white people are confronted with that reality, whether it’s accusations of racism against them personally or more broadly, they immediately become very defensive — even hostile.

DiAngelo’s paper explained that white Americans have a range of “triggers” that make them defensive about race, from suggestions that a person’s viewpoint is racialized to the rise of people of color into prominent leadership positions. All the triggers that she listed were present in 2016 — through President Barack Obama’s elections and Black Lives Matter protests against the dominance of white privilege.

Consider how often throughout the 2016 election people would respond to even the slightest suggestion of racism, whether in media or everyday life, with immediate vitriol, disdain, or dismissal. This, DiAngelo argued, is a defense mechanism to confronting questions about privilege. And it makes it difficult to have a reasonable conversation about race.

We need to develop a way to have this conversation that doesn’t make some people feel condemned

The innate resistance and defensiveness to conversations about bigotry don’t mean that you should never talk about racism, sexism, homophobia, or other kinds of hate. But those conversations may have to be held more tactfully — positioning people into a more receptive position to hear what these problems are all about.

That was crucial in Broockman and Kalla’s transgender canvassing study. In a traditional canvassing session, the canvasser does most of the talking — throwing out all sorts of statistics and reasons the person on the other side of the door should take a specific side on a certain issue. But in the transgender canvassing study, the person getting canvassed often did as much or even more of the talking.

As one example, consider an actual conversation from the study, as reported by Brian Resnick for Vox:

In the beginning of their conversation, Virginia asks Gustavo how likely he'd be to support transgender rights legislation. Gustavo says he wouldn't support it because he's worried about predatory men using the law as an opportunity to enter women's bathrooms.

Virginia asks why he feels that way.

"I'm from South America, and in South America we don't like fags," he tells her.

This next moment is crucial: Virginia doesn't jump on Gustavo for the slur, and instead says, "I'm gay," in a friendly manner. Gustavo doesn't recoil. Actually, he becomes more interested.

Gustavo and Virginia go on to discuss how much they love their partners, and how that love helps them overcome adversity. Gustavo tells Virginia that his wife is a disabled person. "God gave me the ability to love a disabled person," he says, and that taking care of one another is why love matters.

"That resonate a lots with me," Virginia responds. "For me, these laws, and including transgender people are about that. They're about how we treat one another."

Now that Gustavo is in a place where he's more open, Virginia asks him to imagine what the worst thing could happen if he used a bathroom with a transgender person. He admits he wouldn't be scared. Then comes the breakthrough.

"Listen, probably I was mistaken," he says of his original position on trans rights.

Virginia asks him again if he'd vote in favor of banning transgender discrimination. "In favor," he says.
    Hochschild shared similar stories in her book...

Actually having these conversations will be incredibly difficult and time-consuming

Of course, there is a balance to strike here. Insofar as absolutely any mention of racism triggers a backlash among some people, that may just be an unavoidable consequence of a long-neglected but necessary conversation. After all, we can’t just ignore the real racial disparities in policing, the criminal justice system, health, wealth, housing, and nearly every other aspect of American life until everyone is ready to talk about these issues openly. We could be waiting forever if we did that.

And the work of reducing racial bias can’t fall solely on people of color. White Americans need to work within their own communities to combat prejudice.

Thankfully, researchers have come up with several ideas that strike the right balance.
    https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/11/15/13595508/racism-trump-research-study

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Really good article. Thanks for sharing.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Seems like common sense. Attacking someone's character is just about the worst way to get them to see things the way you see them.

snowconeman22 and B-Bob like this.
  4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I find high heels too tight and wobbly.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Invisible Fan

It's ok if you need a little hand holding. ;)

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not surprised that this thread gets very little popularity. Encouraging difficult, patient conversations is going to be a hard sell in 21st century America.

I was thinking about the article though, and I have one main criticism. It is a white perspective, for sure, but here goes.

The article takes for granted this kind of failing of white people to understand, admit, and share their privilege. Okay, fine. I think there's a lot of truth in that. But can we not see why this is a tough sell to white people? You could read that entire article (and also a lot of today's identity politics) as suggesting that white people have an inherent flaw that is ruining the world. I actually think some of my colleagues in university settings, and in the far left in general, have tacitly come to believe this.

My own take is that, if we're really going with "all are created equal" that we have to admit that any human subgroup that attains a distorted share of power will be reluctant to give it up and defensive, etc, etc. If we're really all equal, then we have to admit that if a different group had held the keys to the chains in the slave trade, that it could all be inverted, and in fact would all be inverted.

I just think it would be more persuasive to start an article like that with the general phenomenon and not just a white one. Of course, the white one is relevant right now in America (and Europe, and more). But I think white people might be better able to hear this stuff if we say, "in general, throughout history," and then citing all kinds of examples from other continents, and even Sunni versus Shia muslims, Protestants versus Catholics, castes in India, or whatever. (My examples might suck, but you get the idea.)

I honestly think part of what drives this white nationalism and resentment is less "hey, you've been privileged," but an undercurrent of "you white people are a uniquely nasty group," and for the most part, none of us really mean that (except a few extreme leftists).

Cheers. Good article.

durvasa likes this.
  8. MexAmercnMoose

it seems like common sense....unfortunately, its not...good article

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I agree with the article.

However the issue is when we start talking politics and/or beliefs, people often become intentionally antagonistic to 'trigger' them. The amusing part is both sides understand this concept and that is the justification for doing it.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Some, on both sides, seem to even relish being triggered. It's like, in some circles, there are trip wires everywhere and people are just waiting for their cue to get really self-righteously pissed. I hate that part.

Space Ghost and Invisible Fan like this.
  11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I was talking about white fragility two years ago. o_O

Anyway, I don't think trans applies well to race. Trans is mostly a new phenomenon in general public discussion for which there's not a lot of information and most people just don't know anyone that's transgendered. Race is an entirely different ball of wax.

JayGoogle likes this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The story of a black man who befriended members of the KKK and got them to quit.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...ing-about-race-with-the-klu-klux-klan/388733/

The most important thing I learned is that when you are actively learning about someone else you are passively teaching them about yourself. So if you have an adversary with an opposing point of view, give that person a platform. Allow them to air that point of view, regardless of how extreme it may be. And believe me, I've heard things so extreme at these rallies they'll cut you to the bone.

Give them a platform.

You challenge them. But you don't challenge them rudely or violently. You do it politely and intelligently. And when you do things that way chances are they will reciprocate and give you a platform. So he and I would sit down and listen to one another over a period of time. And the cement that held his ideas together began to get cracks in it. And then it began to crumble. And then it fell apart.

#12 durvasa, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    cml750 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Super cool story.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

this looks to be a positive thread, so putting this here

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Atlantic is an excellent source for news and much else. If people don't regularly check it out, they should, in my opinion.

16. Invisible Fan

I think it's because the norms of debate has been regimented into some dispassionate battle of wits, logic, and facts while the reality is that people strain to carry the appearance of all three rather than accomplishing them.

Even with a won debate, there aren't any conditions attached that the bested takes on the others views or even has to like or respect them. What's happening online and on the media is an overglorified popularity contest wrapped up in the guise of discussion.

17. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm friends with the authors of this study (really good friends with one of them from college!) :D

Glad to see it referenced here of all places!