1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Republicans sickened by Trump Campaign's dishonesty, welcoming help from Russia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Apr 19, 2019.

1. adoo

adoo Member

Sen. Mitt Romney on release of Mueller report:

"I am sickened at the extent and pervasiveness of dishonesty and misdirection by individuals
    in the highest office of the land, including the President." https://abcn.ws/2Xs7fTG

B-Bob, tmoney1101 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While its notable that romney is speaking out against a president that who is dishonest and has directed people to also be dishonest, it would be more notable if romney knew of a collection of duly elected people that might be able to do something about this. Heck, he and they might call themselves The United States Senate. Heck, they may even become an co-equal part of the U.S. government...

B-Bob, tmoney1101 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Mitt Romney wanted to trade for Thon Maker.

4. Buck Turgidson

All the likes to you.

Thon Romney just wins. You can read it in my newsletter.

@jopatmc

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. biff17

biff17 Member

I think he might run again.

He has a strong attack against Trump and I think he would have a chance against the Democratic field since it is so crowded.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Mitt does not grab enough p***y for Social Conservatives. If only he knew that in 2012.

mdrowe00, Rashmon and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've said it elsewhere, but this is the ultimate marriage of convenience and Faustian bargain and it's going to last just as long as Trump gives Republican leaders access to the levers of power. Once Trump and Republicans no longer have anything for each other it is going to get U-G-L-Y between the two.

mdrowe00, RayRay10, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

wait a second...a politician is calling out lying....

Do they even realise that their wanton dishonesty is why people didn't care about Trump's BS artist thing?

or is it that they actually believe they're honest people?

9. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

From Timothy Snyder:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1119619184785264642.html

1/10 After the Mueller report, everyone admits that there was a Russian campaign to elect Mr. Trump president of the United States in 2016. Amidst all the noise and spin, this is worth noting and remembering.
    2/10 Many of those who now admit that there was a Russian campaign to elect Mr. Trump knew this in 2016. Why were there zero patriots in his campaign or in his party who said so at the time?
    3/10 Now that everyone accepts there was a Russian campaign to elect Mr Trump, we can ask whether it made the difference. Mr Trump's a talented orator who spoke to American problems. But Russia made him possible & tipped the balance. See Jamieson's Cyberwar or my #RoadtoUnfreedom
    4/10 Democracy depends upon being able to change one's mind. If no one does so after everyone admits that Mr. Trump owes a debt to a foreign power, our democracy is in trouble.
    5/10 American political life is under a double shadow: that cast by a foreign intervention to choose a president, and that cast by those who knowing this exploited this circumstance for their own purposes.
    6/10 The only defense offered by the White House is that Mr. Trump was an insignificant actor in the foreign plot to get him elected. That is true.
    7/10 That the president of the United States is a minor player in his own drama is not good news. It means that there are major players to whom he owes debts.
    8/10 Russia favored Mr. Trump over both his Republican and his Democratic rivals. Regardless of party, all Americans should want their presidential candidates selected in the United States.
    9/10 Russia chose Mr. Trump because of his ability to wreak havoc, "to drive the Western locomotive right off the rails." Regardless of personality, Americans should oppose foreign assaults on democracy.
    10/10 This president cannot defend American democracy from foreign attack, because he owes a debt to foreign attackers. Congress, federal agencies, American states, American businesses and above all American citizens will have to do so.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. adoo

adoo Member

quikkag likes this.
  11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

And his approval rating among conservatives is? Nothing matters to his base.

12. cml750

cml750 Member

Wow, who knew Mitt Romney was the spokesperson for all Republicans??? o_O I guess it is a good thing I am not a Republican because I can't stand Romney.

#12 cml750, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

If trump declared that he isnt running in 2020 would the derangement die down a notch?

14. cml750

cml750 Member

Just imagine what it will be like when he likely wins re-election in 2020. Heads may literally explode.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What's good about that? He doesn't say it's good news that Trump didn't conspire with a foreign adversary and that he didn't obstruct justice, only that we don't have enough evidence to charge him. That sounds like a worst case scenario to me -- it would be better either if he didn't conspire or even that he did and we had the goods to convict.

Good news, Mitt. Proof beyond a reasonable doubt is not necessarily the standard in an impeachment hearing. It is actually up to you to decide whether the evidence is sufficient. Bad news for the rest of us -- sounds like Mitt already decided the case before even hearing a charge from the House. Why he went out of his way to piss off Trump voters while simultaneously pissing off Trump haters I don't exactly understand.