1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Removing Driveway Oil Stains

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by thabeet, May 4, 2016.

1. thabeet

thabeet Member

Hello CF Fam,

My dad has been getting a bunch of letters from HoA to remove oil stains from the driveway. We've tried powerwashing it a few times but haven't been able to remove it all.

They're still sending letters and have retained a law firm threatening my dad with fines if he doesn't get it cleaned up. But we really don't know what else to do. Given his old age, he's worried about what happens if he doesn't comply.

Any tips? I mean, there has to be a way to get it removed. Commercial grade power washers? Can you guys recommend anyone?

tl;dr: need oil stains removed due to HoA

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Quick google search.....might have some good info...

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sHlEIedvU1c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

^^LMAO I was just about to post that!

4. thabeet

thabeet Member

yeah, we tried that - bought a power washer with soap and chemicals but couldn't get it completely removed.

i figured there has to be a commercial business that has the industrial tools to do this.

5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've had success using cat litter, but that was in the garage where the surface is much smoother than the driveway. Just pour it on the stain and let it sit for a few days. Couldn't hurt to try, since it's so cheap.

7. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I would ask the HOA. Likely isn't the first time they've reached out to someone about it, so they might know who to contact and/or how to deal with it.

We have a gas lamp in front of our house and have to keep it running 24/7 otherwise the HOA fines us something ridiculous like $200/day. Had an issue with it a few years ago that was beyond my modest skills and they helped me out.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

We had some smaller ones and we were able to use Cascade dishwasher soap and water to remove them. I don't know if it'll work on really big stains.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Depends how old they are. Old stains tend to fade after treatment and comeback later. Try the stuff Baumer posted.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Is paint strong enough to cover up oil stain?

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]

try these man

13. body slam

body slam Member

We use floor sweep at work which is the same thing as kitty litter when we have oil mess. Put it kind of thick over the stained area. Twist your foot and grind the floor sweep into the stain. Take a large push broom move the floor sweep around and twist your foot and grind the floor sweep in to the stain. Keep repeating.

You might also try some brake clean. Spray the bad area and give it a hard scrub with a brush before before the brake clean evaporates.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure this will work on a stain that has been left untreated for a long time.

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

A cheap option to try is acetone (1qt runs ~$5 at walmart)

Make a poultice by mixing acetone with any absorber (talc, diatomaceous earth, baking powder, molding plaster, etc) until it has goopy consistency.

Spread the paste on the stain and cover it with plastic wrap. Seal the edges with tape

Leave for at least 24 hours

Remove plastic and allow poultice to dry out

Cleanup and dispose of the poultice

-------

This definitely works for oil stains on granite, but i'd imagine the same principle applies since these are old oil stains that have penetrated deeply

Make sure you purchase the acetone in the "home improvement" section. The stuff in the beauty dept is more expensive and isn't suited for this task.

-----

As an aside, I used acetone (with some paper towels) on a dry erase board that hadn't been cleaned in at least 3 years. Ridiculously easy and effective.

16. ling ling

ling ling Member

This works great, cheap and fast.

[​IMG]

17. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

http://www.vtmobilepressurewash.com/

It's my brother's business. He also owns a carpet cleaning company of the same name. Best in Houston, and I'm not saying that just because he's my brother. Dude will hook you up.

18. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Absorball, which is like kitty litter, then caustic some and scrub. Good luck finding caustic soap though, I used to get it from my job. **** cleans anything.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

We just used this on our driveway. It completely eradicated 4 spots, biggest spot being 2'x 2'

[​IMG]

20. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

We hired this company before:
    http://www.blastinclean.com/

They were cheap and came out quickly. On our driveway, sidewalk, and patio they didn't use a regular pressure washer. It was a machine more like a big vacuum that had a brush and high pressure water at the same time + cleaning agent that they add.