1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RedNation] Top Rival Teams of Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by s3ts, Jan 28, 2016.

1. s3ts

s3ts Member

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

InB4 somebody says, "Spurs aren't a rival".

3. CCapps

CCapps Contributing Member

Well I mean...I respect them more than say, the Clippers. So my personal list would be the exact same just replace spurs with the clips. Don't know about about everybody else though!

EDIT: spurs can be sixth on my list. Just because they are in Texas:p

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

This is something that can change over time. The Sloan-Malone-Stockton j*zz are #1, but Cuban and the Mavs are #1 now that those above guys are out of the league in every way. Cuban will stick around long after Dirk retires. The Mavs weren't even a concern back in the 90s as far as basketball. It was Jazz, Spurs, Sonics, Suns. I suppose the constant is the fans, but i hate fans of every team, hell, even a lot of Rockets fans make me cringe. I don't ever even think of the Jazz anymore ever since Sloan was done. Even if they become good again, it might be an entertaining team with respectful rivalry against us. Who knows?

I personally never hated the Suns and Sonics, i enjoyed their teams and the rivalry. The Jazz were dirty. The Mavs and Spurs have the Texas rivalry but Cuban is a whiny, **** talking b****, so of course i hate the Mavs more than anything and Houston vs Dallas is bigger than just basketball where as San Antonio is nothing outside of the Spurs. Lakers i think we hate because we know most of their fans are fake and they are so cocky and talk non stop noise about their history which is mostly purchased and not earned. Thunder-Texas vs Oklahoma rivalry goes beyond basketball. For a minute there, i thought the Blazers would be our new rivals, but that is just how it goes with any battles in the post season. You hate the opponents fans first and then the players after they start throwing verbal jabs here and there.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Lakers/Clippers are just phony fans to me. It's the same thing. It's Los Angeles. It may be two different organizations, but they share fans. **** LA fans.

6. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

But dem LARams doe

7. ibm

ibm Member

all time, this sounds about right.

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Spurs are not a rival anymore. They have surpassed our organization. We are back as the laughing stock of the NBA in Texas. Our rivals now are just the mediocre teams playoff teams. Utah could still be considered a rival because as terrible as they are we still have issues playing against them. Thanks Morey.

9. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I hated Boozer, Okur, AK 47 and Deron j*zz more than Malone and Stockton.

And I'm not sure why, but I always like the Dallas Pony. Yeah Cuban is a b**** and I still dislike JET even thou he is in our team now. But Dirk and Kidd are always class act for me.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Watching the OP's video now.... Rockets are undefeated vs the Spurs in the playoffs :eek:

3-0

Never knew that!!

I already KNOW one series was without HCA ('95) and probably another one ('81).

Undefeated.... new bullet when talking to SA fans :cool:

How long has this been your opinion, 99er?

It's arguable the Spurs "surpassed" the Rockets in '03. They equaled Houstun's championship tally, plus SA has always boasted a muuuch better franchise winning%. Spurs have been up there with (maybe better than) the Lakers and Celtics (the Two Undisputed Greatest NBA Franchises) in franchise winning% for over a decade.

Now, I'm not saying nor do I believe the Spurs "surpassed" the Rockets in '03 due to other factors -- just using this poster's logic on "surpassing" equaling "not a rival".

How long have the Spurs not been a rival, sir?

#10 Houstunna, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  11. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I hate them all, but have a special place in the darkest reaches of my soul for Utah Jazz & more recently, the Mavs.

The Spurs Rivalry goes way back 90's & has become a decent Rivarly.

I hate Curry & GSW, for the same reason I couldn't stand Jordan...both masters of their art, but over saturated media hyped to nauseous level untouchables.

Go Rockets.

12. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

I'm with you on gsw. I've hated them since they intentionally fouled us to prevent us from getting the 3pt record.

While the spurs are a phenomenal organization, their implementation of hacking is bush league and complete cowardice. Just play the game, play basketball... If youre so good then let it show. It's cowardice, so yeah I don't like them anymore.

For me,
    Mavs
    Gsw
    Spurs
    Thunder
    Lakers
    Jazz

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

For me, Spurs are not rivals. They are a tier above and we are no competition to them. Same with GSW. A nice little rivalry was developing when both teams had **** coaches in Mark Jackson (horrible) and Kevin McFail (worst) but then GSW just hired Kerr and pulled away.

So Rockets rivals for me would be those on the same tier and same playing field.

1. Mavs - Cuban, Parsons, Captain Jackass, I-45, just the whole thing
    2. Clippers - Cp3 and Blake have the potential to be the Stockton-Malone rivalry of the 90's
    3. J!zz because of our history

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

:confused::confused:

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

15. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

That is exactly how I would have ranked them.

The Clippers are beneath our notice, frankly. They're an easy team to hate but there's no history there and there's nothing that would hold the rivalry together once Paul and Griffin split up in a couple years.

16. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I can agree with Dirk, but Kidd is really a piece of ****.

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I wonder where we rank on other teams lists...

I know most Mavs fans hate SA more because of the early 2000's. Everyone calls the Lakers a rival, but not sure who the lakers would consider rivals (other than Boston). OKC probably still hates us over the harden deal, but that was a long time ago and tensions have sort of died down I think.

18. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

LAC is becoming our new rival but we kick their ass so it may never fully blossom

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Our rival are the 76ers.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You kinda answered this yourself. They've been the better team and title contenders since 98/99 now, winning 5 championships during that time span, while Rockets have been in the mediocrity treadmill in all but last season and winning absolutely nothing.

At one point during those years you clearly have to admit that they made a giant leap ahead of us and that we're not rivals anymore. Spurs at this point are what our front office can only dream of achieving.