1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebounds and Rockets Risky D

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 3, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

these are all legit points

and I agree we won with heart and determination

And the Bucks were idiots for not just low posting Lopez every posession.

And Gianis is an idiot too, he's still the CENTER who thinks it's cool to be a guard.

Kareem , Shaq, Hakeem, would just shoot over shorter players in the paint.

This is why Harden is smarter than him! He knows his advantages and uses them so well.

@dc rock

2. SORF

SORF Member

I agree. The one thing I admired about the Warriors and Spurs :)mad:) were they knew how to close out fourth quarters...especially in series clutching games. The last two games, I saw the Rockets closing out 4th quarters...it was exciting to watch. This a big step to becoming a championship team.

3. dmoneybangbang

I'm more optimistic now, because those were two matchups with very skilled big players. It may not be sustainable but the blue print looks better.

D-rock likes this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

When it comes to inventing basketball strategy, its an innovation when it succeeds and just bad basketball when it doesn't.

cmlmel77 and Nook like this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

Post #50

6. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets do not care if teams with a larger line up decide to shoot from the post or not. If they decide to pass out of the post the size difference is largely neutralized. If a tall player decides to avoid the post to shoot outside, then the height advantage is largely gone meaning the rebounding advantage is gone.

YOLO, Patience and D-rock like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's depending on what the other team does and I don't know why at the end of the 4th the Bucks quit going to what appeared to be working for them. Maybe it was that Lopez was gassed and maybe it was that Giannis just doesn't want to play a traditional big man role.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read it and it pretty much agrees with what I said. The Rockets make it work which is great but it is risky. From the piece:
    "Is it sustainable across four seven-game series? That's unknowable at this point. This excellent performance came on the heels of a terrible one. Consistency has been a problem for Houston defensively all season. Defending bigger players in the post that often is likely exhausting for Tucker, Covington and Harden. There is no telling what seven games against Davis or Antetokounmpo would do to them physically. There's no telling what strategic adjustments those teams will make across a series. When analytics go out the window in crunch time, these mismatches become more dangerous. "

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Yeah, I don't know if every match-up against a good team is going to be a close game from now on, or if their style just decreases the chances of a blowout, no matter what. But this style is really risky and volatile. If it doesn't work in the Playoffs, what then?

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets do not win with healthy Capela instead of RoCo, fact.

And Bucks were much more exhausted than Rockets, that is why they could only generate 4 pts in 3 mins vs 16 from Rockets.

Hell Bucks still tired from that game, Giannis rested entire 2nd half vs Nets today. And Bucks lost.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not sure if you are serious or just this ignorant.

The Bucks lost vs. Rockets, do you think they are going to change their system, their #1 defense????

The Mavs are #1 offense in NBA history, do you think they change their offense with consecutive losses to Rockets and Suns????

If your aunt leaves your uncle, what then????

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Our defense is so risky that another team was able to use it to defeat the best team in NBA, after getting tips on it the day before.

Perhaps our strategy and system is not as risky as fans think.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets defense is not risky, it is a thing of beauty!

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Forcing turnovers is not luck.

DVauthrin likes this.
  18. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

The difference is that this is the Bucks' first loss to the Rockets since 2018, and they're the #1 defense and #1 seed in the league. I think it's cute that Rockets fans are proclaiming this team the scariest after one regular season game, but you have to get back to reality and analyze the weaknesses and the really low margin for error at some point.

19. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Well it looking like it doesn’t matter with these Ref’s tonight. They can ONLY SEE HOUSTON FOULS Unreal

jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  20. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

It is impossible to win a championship with this style of play. Houston can win any game but can also lose to anyone. Inconsistency, that is the word that defines this team.