1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Newt Gingrich weighs in with an article at Newsweek. He believes that Kamala Harris is the most likely to be the nominee. His reasoning is along the same lines as what I opened this thread with, where I projected Kamala Harris as my best guess of who the nominee would be 22 months out.

It is a long and thorough article and Gingrich's reasoning is impeccable, in my opinion. He breaks down the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats to all the top candidates in pretty good detail.

As he says in the article, this does not mean somebody else cannot win. But that based on the factors that are in place to influence and shape this process, Kamala Harris is the most likely winner. Here are a few lines, with more at the link:

Kamala Harris Will Be the 2020 Democratic Nominee. Here is Why.

The key factors for the Democratic nomination in 2020 are very straightforward.

All the energy, drive, and passion are on the left. This may be the most aggressively left-wing cycle for Democrats since Senator George McGovern was nominated in 1972. The most electable left-winger might be nominated, but an electable centrist will be destroyed.

There is an enormous premium in 2020 to nominate someone younger to contrast with President Trump. The fascination with Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Mayor Pete Buttigieg reflects this hunger for the new and the young. The news media, in particular, is going to be heavily biased toward younger, new faces. If you are young, the news media will overlook stunning ignorance of facts. If you are older, your knowledge will not help you. This bodes very badly for Vice President Joe Biden and for Senator Sanders.

There will also be an enormous advantage for female candidates. If you watched the State of the Union, you saw the lengths to which the Democratic Party went to highlight the newly elected, younger, Democratic women. The news media wants this to be the year of the woman candidate and they will have a bias toward covering female candidates above all others.

The Democratic Party's nominating process is heavily weighted toward minorities in general, and African-Americans in particular. The simple mathematics of the share of the Democratic primary vote that comes from the African-American community in many states indicates there will be a huge advantage for those who can appeal directly to African-Americans. It is the power of this community, combined with a rabid left-wing radicalism, that accounts for the elevation of both Stacey Abrams in Georgia and Andrew Gillum in Florida as national figures in the Democratic Party—even though they both lost.

{Quite a bit more at the link}​

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Earlier I predicted that Kamala Harris would quintuple down on the race card, "Identity politics" and "Political correctness" as the central pillar of her campaign. Well, here is another iteration of that on display:

Kamala Harris announces $100B plan for black homeownership, tackling racial wealth gap

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., announced Saturday that she would invest $100 billion of federal money into housing assistance for black families as part of an effort to close the racial wealth gap in the United States if elected president.

"After generations of discrimination, it’s time to give Black families a real shot at homeownership," Harris tweeted on Saturday.

While appearing at Essence's Global Black Economic Forum, she emphasized the role of homeownership in driving the growth of wealth in the U.S. According to Harris' campaign, she would help 4 million homebuyers through down payment and closing-cost assistance -- granting up to $25,000 from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.​

Of course she could have advocated for a low income home ownership program that treated people with equality. But no, under this proposal, applicants will be discriminated either for or against based on the color of the applicant's skin.

There will be more of this to come from her. Mark it down.

BruceAndre likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I remember when you did that -- I was like WOW he has really put himself out on a limb.

biff17, Nook and Rashmon like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Good grief. Steyer had it right in January, when he announced that he was not running. Of course the more the merrier, as far as I am concerned. This is all kind of fun.

But practically speaking, Steyer brings nothing to the table that distinguishes himself as a candidate. He is very left wing. He is obsessed with impeaching Trump, climate change and all of the other leftist standards. Why should anyone want to support Steyer as opposed to say Washington state governor Jay Inslee? Or just about any of the others, for that matter. There positions are so similar, if that was the measure used, it would be pretty hard to tell them apart.

So, why does Steyer think that he is special enough to make a difference at this point? He needs to come heavy with an answer to that question, or he should probably just stay out of the race.

6. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the first of many

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/451995-swalwell-to-drop-out-of-democratic-presidential-primary

more at the link....

MojoMan likes this.
  7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

So you are suggesting additional Democrats will drop out of the race for president?

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I am going to go ahead and step out on a limb on that one and say yes. :cool:

KingCheetah likes this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

According to the latest Emerson poll, there is a three way tie for second place. Meanwhile, Joe Biden has double the support of any of the second place candidates.

Emerson
    : Biden 30, Harris 15, Sanders 15, Warren 15, Buttigieg 5, O'Rourke 4

Biden's numbers are still reflecting his superior name recognition. Perhaps others disagree, but I do not see him being able to maintain this kind of lead as we move through the Fall. Harris and Warren are looking strong here.

But Bernie should be in front of both of these two if he is going to have any real chance to win this thing. Being tied with Harris and Warren is a real show of weakness at this point for Bernie Sanders.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

We don't agree on much, but it's fun to agree on Steyer. He, like Swillwell, is from the northern-California bubble. He's basically an uglier and more naive version of the guy who just gave up. Le sigh. We disagree on "the more the merrier" but we have different ideals for the 2020 election, I'd wager.

MojoMan and Nook like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I can't stand this guy. He represents everything awful from California.

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I think you have the flags in the wrong hands.

Speaking of which, trump hates the Ambassador from England, but guess which ambassador he likes?

[​IMG]

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I believe the dotard refers to him as Ambassador Kissyoursak...

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

18. Nook

Nook Member

U.S. Constitution? LMFAO No President in at least 75 years has shat all over the Constitution like Donald Trump has...... seriously?

19. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Is there no lie that leftists will not tell? Is there no hyperbole that is too unhinged for Democrat leftists to spew out? Apparently not.

20. Nook

Nook Member

You are a sucker.....

80 years ago you would have been on this guys nuts sending him your meager earnings to support him "fighting the good fight"...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DonnyMost likes this.