1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ravens hire Gary Kubiak as OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by roxxfan, Jan 28, 2014.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

DID NOT see this coming. Didn't know where to post this. I assumed alot of us don't regularly check the NFL forum and I thought it would be very relevant to Texans' fans and people would like to know, so move if necessary.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-hired-baltimore-ravens-offensive-coordinator

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens officially announced Gary Kubiak as their offensive coordinator on Monday, pulling a reverse late in their search.

After reportedly being down to two finalists this past weekend, the Ravens changed direction and went with Kubiak, who began talking with the team only a few days ago. Kubiak becomes the Ravens' third offensive coordinator in the past 13 months and the third in coach John Harbaugh's tenure.

"It was a great process. It may have taken us back to where, in the beginning, you might assume we started," Harbaugh said at Monday's news conference. "In the end, this is the way it worked, and we have the best guy."

Kubiak was the coach of the Houston Texans for nearly eight seasons, leading them to the playoffs in 2011 and 2012. The offense ranked in the top 10 in four of the past six years.

The Texans, who finished 2-14 this season, fired Kubiak in early December.

"This is the best day I've had in two months," Kubiak said. "It gives me a chance to be part of a championship organization."

The Ravens estimated that Harbaugh spoke to 15 candidates during the two-week search. It was reported this weekend that the Ravens would choose between former Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and Ravens wide receivers coach Jim Hostler.

But Harbaugh met with Kubiak for dinner on Sunday, saying it was at that time he thought it would be a good fit.

"In your mind, you always keep list of the guys that give you the most trouble as coaches," Harbaugh said. "With this staff, what they've done offensively, has been kind of a pain in our rear."

Kubiak, 52, said there are no concerns about his health. He suffered a transient ischemic attack, or "mini-stroke," on Nov. 3 while walking off the field at halftime of a loss against Indianapolis.

According to Kubiak, he has resumed working out.

"I came out of it fine. I was my old self at the end of the season," Kubiak said. "I feel great. Looking forward to getting up very early in the morning and going to work again. My wife is tired of me being around the house."

Kubiak takes over a Ravens offense that finished 29th in the NFL in total yards, the team's worst ranking in eight years. Harbaugh called it a "fresh start" for the offense, but he doesn't want the offense's philosophy to change.

"It's not going to be Texans offense or the Broncos offense. It's going to be the Ravens," Harbaugh said. "It's going to be what we build with our players and our coaches. It's going to look like what Baltimore wants it to look. It's going to be rugged. It's going to be rough. It's going to be tough, physical, downhill, precise football. I think there is a really good fit philosophically. We see football from the same perspective."

Kubiak declined to say whether he wants to be a head coach in the league again.

"Right now, I want to be the best offensive coordinator I can be. I don't look down the road," Kubiak said. "I told John when he first called me: 'I want to have a chance to enjoy coaching, teaching and have a chance to win.' I know you would offer all of those opportunities if things worked out."

The Ravens also added Rick Dennison as their quarterbacks coach. Dennison, the Texans' offensive coordinator the past four seasons under Kubiak, has never held that title in his coaching career.

Harbaugh said there's a chance that the team will have to hire new coaches for tight ends and wide receivers in addition to the current vacancy at running backs coach.

"We have a chance to build the best offensive staff in the National Football League," Harbaugh said.

2. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Choke yourself...

3. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Grats Kubes

4. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

"It gives me a chance to be part of a championship organization."

Bull****. Throwing the Texans under the bus here, in my opinion. At the beginning of the season we were widely considered a contender, and may have been had it not been for Kubiak. Classy exit, but not classy here.

5. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

"it gives me a chance to be a part of a chamionship organization"

WTF Kubes? We had a chamionship caliber team and you screwed us over! You suck ass and will never win a championship.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

^^ textbook definition of butthurt.

Seriously, Kubiak (accurately) complimenting his new employer and expressing his happiness to be there in no way craps on the Texans.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Agreed. If he had said it FINALLY gives him a chance... sure. But he's pretty fortunate. Most successful franchises, especially those that are still reigning champs, don't often have a lot of high-profile vacancies.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Wish him well, so very, very glad he is gone. So glad.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This.

Good luck to him.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Is Kubes going to be next on the long list of former Texans who succeed in other places?

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Flacco will now become the most predicable QB.... which should help him...lol

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Long list?

Like who? Jacoby Jones and.... David Carr? Just cause they win championships doesn't mean they "succeeded" more than with the Texans. Just road the right wagons to a SB win.

13. Relentless

Relentless Member

"Grats"? Wtf is that?

Imbecile

14. Remii

Remii Member

Exactly...

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Dont forget your letterman jacket Kubes. Good riddance.

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Trindon Holiday is the obvious one.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Trindon Holliday, Chris Ogbonnaya, Roc Carmichael, Jason Babin, Tramon Williams, Chris Jones

"OMG, you're crying over those guys?! Get a life!"

Former Texans on current NFL rosters

Bears: Sherrick McManis
    Bengals: Clark Harris
    Bills: Mario Williams, Willie Jefferson
    Broncos: Joel Dreessen, Trindon Holliday
    Browns: Chris Ogbonnaya
    Bucs: David Hunter, Dan Orlovsky
    Cardinals: Orhian Johnson, Eric Winston
    Chargers: Jake Byrne, Zach Boren
    Chiefs: Quintin Demps, Dunta Robinson
    Colts: Thomas Austin
    Cowboys: Tyler Clutts
    Eagles: Connor Barwin, Roc Carmichael, James Casey, Donnie Jones, Jeff Maehl, DeMeco Ryans
    Falcons: Omar Gaither
    Jaguars: Jason Babin, Alan Ball, Justin Forsett
    Jets: Dwight Jones, Ed Reed
    Lions: Dorin Dickerson, Glover Quin
    Packers: Tramon Williams
    Patriots: Ja'Gared Davis, Chris Jones
    Raiders: Johnny Adams, Mike Brisiel, Dan Muir
    Rams: Kellen Clemens, Shelley Smith
    Ravens: Jacoby Jones, Vonta Leach, Cierre Wood
    Redskins: Rex Grossman, Davin Meggett
    Saints: Shayne Graham
    Steelers: Hebron Fangupo, Cody Wallace
    Titans: Bernard Pollard, Kevin Walter

18. mhch720

mhch720 Member

Is Philly/Houston combo the new Sac-Town/Houston? so many former players on Eagles & Sixers.

19. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Congrats to Kubiak, I'm sure he'll do well. He has organized many top tier offenses for the Texans in the past, not sure whether the drop off was due to a change in playcalling, Schaub digressing, or both.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm still waiting for the "long list".

That's 2 freakin' players.