1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fun banter only happens in the D&D amirite @tinman ?

KingCheetah and tinman like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watch that Marbury documentary on Netflix
    It’s actually hilarious cause they make lots of excuses on why he was bad in the nba

maybe that’s how the Tmac doc will
    Be

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Speaking of fun banter the movie Groundhog Day is absolutely full of it -- Bill Murray at his best... Btw does he still have a home in Palm Springs?

Os Trigonum likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I use that movie in class, students always enjoy it

5. KingCheetah

In person!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Finally saw Slingblade. Billy Bob is the man. 10/10

#8766 Clutch City1993, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that's a really good reminder, that has to go on the list

8. KingCheetah

Mmmmmmhh.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Hamilton: 10/10. That was a great story, super strong performances, high energy, innovative, and a fast three hours. It's hits almost every button perfectly with broad and intimate brushstrokes. There was uncommon intelligence behind this production.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. conquistador#11

"1917" on vumoo(w/addblock): 8.5/ 10- It was more of a survivalist thriller film, that incorporated some NBA wirecam angles to make it more artsy than it needed to be. But man, I was on the edge of my sofa! Definitely worth your time.
    I agree with the free spirit commander in the trenches, "Have they lost their fukkond minds?" Sending 2 kids on such a life and death mission? Shout out to the Rats. They scared me more than the Germans from the Great War. I find ww II Germans terrifying but ww I Germans have their own frozen pizza and Christmas songs with Snoopy.

about to watch Midway didn't know it was remade.

ryan_98 likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Enjoyed Ford vs Ferrari, which really should have been titled Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles vs Ford. The racing scenes were excellent, as was the acting. Ford came off looking bad, which they deserved.

My cousin and I were enamored with Shelby’s cars in the ‘60’s. Heck, if we saw one while driving around Houston, we’d follow it for awhile, sometimes talking to the driver at a light. Damn, those AC Cobras were unreal, as were the later Cobras from Shelby. True classics today. It was fun seeing so many of them during the film.

9/10

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

No more fun banter from me. I have enough problems without unintentionally pissing people off. Sometimes my attempts at humor don’t translate well and cross a line. I tried to fix. I am not an animal!

Back to movies, I’m going to watch some movie where Paul Rudd plays a baseball player who is also a spy. I hope it is entertaining.

Deckard, Os Trigonum and KingCheetah like this.
  13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Watched Knives Out last night. 6.5/10

After all of the hype, I was hoping this movie would blow me away. It just didn't. It felt like two distinct movies (or play acts) wrapped into one package. The first 70% was completely focused on the family. The last 30% was completely focused on Ransom. I felt like I could've watch just the last 30 minutes and would've gotten the entire story/plot/twist without the grinding through the family's squabbles.

Overall, it was enjoyable, just not primo.

deb4rockets, ryan_98 and FrontRunner like this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

7500: 6/10

Interesting that the whole thing was shot in the cockpit, creating some claustrophobia, different, but those hijackers were idiots or just bumbling morons so the tension and stakes were limited. Not much believability. ending was near ludicrous speed. Gordon did great as usual and carried the movie. I did like seeing everything from the seat of the airplane as it added some suspense. The shining moment was the creepy terrorist looking under the curtain... that was filmed like Hitchcock. Needed more of that.

15. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream House: 7/10

From 2011 with Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz, and Naomi Watts. It's a better than average psychological thriller.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I have to agree. I still gave it a 7.2/10 after a re-watching and still find it entertaining and re-watchable, it just wasnt "all that" after the initial watching. What makes it good imo is Daniel Craigs acting chops.

mikol13 and boomboom like this.
  17. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I thought Ana de Armas was fantastic as Marta. She was probably the perfect actress to play that role. Everyone else was very good also...especially Craig. The acting wasn't the problem for me. The plot and twist and how it was unraveled wasn't particularly clever. I did like the doses of clever humor that were scattered throughout.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

watched Spartacus over two nights. 7.5/10. I must have seen this movie a dozen times as a kid, but always the massively-edited two hour cut-for-television version. At three hours and 17 minutes, this thing is long. Important historically for lots of reasons, but a bit plodding. Interesting for the Stanley Kubrick angle, and also for the film restoration angle. Also, Jean Simmons was a beauty.

I am a Donut likes this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

Agree, the acting carried it a long way. Several of those performances by the supporting leads were elite. In the end, I thought it would have been more interesting if she was guilty and outwitted them all into thinking she didn't do it. There would have been more pleasure in that. The ending as it was just didn't resonate as it all just wrapped up too fast and too conveniently.

#8779 PhiSlammaJamma, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    boomboom likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agreed 100%. Just saw Hamilton twice. Also agree, 9 out of 10. Maybe even 10 of 10. Can't say musicals are my favorite genre, but this one ranks up with West Side Story. Beautiful singing, dancing, great lyrics and acting. If you are worried its "over hyped"... this is actually under hyped.

Two small things that really speak it quality of production... the staging with the rotating part of the stage and the lighting. And the writing was so clever, seeing it the second time I picked up on lots of little details I missed the first...

Phillip Hamilton "changing the line" when learning how to count from his mother at the count of seven;the end when Washington said she was telling his story; when Burr fist punched when he heard voters saying he seemed a guy you could have beers with; and just before that telling the women to have their husbands vote for Burr (women didn't have the right to vote then)

donkeypunch likes this.