1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agreed. I thought it was almost campy in parts. It was more a movie about the driver and Vigo played him as a completely cliche old-school blue-collar New Yorker, especially all the scenes of him eating (and there's more scenes of him eating than there are of Dr. Shirley playing piano, by a long shot.) Just a weird movie, with a Leave it to Beaver soundtrack on top. No wonder a bunch of elderly white academy voters loved it.

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Game Night. Nothing special - a lot of scenes feature all the characters blathering in that improv'd way you see in so many comedies today - but it had some laughs. It's nothing I would seriously recommend but it might be worth keeping on in the background while you're doing something else.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

13 Sins.

8 out of 10.

I enjoyed it.

4. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Hellboy 3/10

Its hard not to compare to the original films but I couldn't help it. This movie is loud, boring, and unfunny. It seems like they are planning sequels but not sure after this.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

the preview looked horrible plus is not directed by Del Toro. I dont know why movies change directors. The first one was a hit then keep the same director. Reminds me of Pacific rim, second one was a pos.

6. Buck Turgidson

Coriolanus - Ralph Fiennes' directed adaptation of Shakespeare's Roman tragedy. The modern setting ("A Place Called Rome", somewhere in Eastern Europe) totally works, as do the themes; visually it's excellent (same cinematographer as The Hurt Locker); and Fiennes, Brian Cox and Vanessa Redgrave are especially outstanding.

I'd put it behind Richard III with Ian McKellan as far as modern Shakepearean adaptations, but only because that's maybe the best Shakespeare movie ever made.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My wife wanted to watch On the Basis of Sex last week (about Ruth Bader Ginsburg). We both agreed it was a little slower and a bit more melodramatic than we both expected. Paid 5 bucks to rent it on amazon, would have been better to wait until it was on Prime. maybe a 6/10. An okay movie, nothing earth-shaking.

Then we watched the documentary RBG. My wife has seen it several times, has been pushing me to watch it, I just kept putting it off. Turned out to be excellent, really held my attention, and a great overview of Ginsburg's career. I'd give that one a 9/10.

Also rewatched Burn After Reading last week. Hadn't seen it in years, remember not being all that impressed by it the first time around; on rewatching it, I think it holds up better than I expected, and I actually now think it's a better movie than I originally thought. Somewhere around a 7 or 8 out of 10.

justtxyank and B-Bob like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've been 'saving' this movie and finally watched it on prime -- enjoyed it way more than I expected -- solid 8.3/ 10.

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Bumblebee was a lot of fun for those who grew up with the cartoon. Much better than the Michael Bay crap (which I stopped watching after the 2nd one)

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Finally watched The Dark Tower...1/10

CometsWin and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As I write this, I am watching a movie again. The Coen Brothers classic, Hail, Caesar!
    A brilliant cast. A script that could only make sense to a madman, or the Coen Brothers.
    I cannot recommend it enough, for I do not deserve the light it cast upon this poor soul.
    It is a tale of light ever lasting.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I could not agree more. I love most of their stuff anyway and this one didn't get a lot of love at first. I'm not sure why. It is a filmmaking masterpiece. They managed to adapt their style of filmmaking to fit the material in a way that paid homage to the era but wasn't so much of a direct copy that it wasn't still their own style. Not only did they do it, but they also did it seamlessly and in a way that didn't seem forced. It was a very enjoyable film.

#7952 FranchiseBlade, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Deckard likes this.
  13. conquistador#11

Extremely Wicked Shockingly Evil and Vile- 2/ 10. A love story woven through trial flashbacks. If I wanted to watch the Notebook, which I often do, I'd watch the notebook. They didn't make the bundy I was expecting so maybe that's why I gave it a 2. I liked the cast.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watched Dogfight with River Phoenix. one of those neglected classics. very solid. 8/10

15. cebu

cebu Member

Day of the Falcon - 8/10. Better than than GoT The Long Night episode.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Wandering Earth - Super big budget Chinese Sci-Fi movie from 2019 stealth released on Netflix without fanfare. Technically really well done. Effects were Hollywood quality. Science was facepalm, which makes it just like Hollywood. Story wasn't great. I went in expecting Chinese Interstellar, but by the end thinking Chinese Geostorm. Worth watching to see China try to take on Hollywood. 5/10.

Not a movie, but the first episode of Chernobyl on HBO was ****ing terrifying and really did 80's Soviet Union well. Nightmare fuel. 9/10 for first episode, but you need to be in the mood for something very serious and depressing.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Get Out -- wasn't feeling it... 6.4/ 10

18. Buck Turgidson

Totally agree. Looking forward to more Jared Harris, one of my favorite actors.

19. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

The destroyer. 7.5/10
    The green book. 8/10

Both great movies

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Saw "Searching" last night on Starz. 8 out of 10. Surprisingly good spin on the "dad searching for missing daughter" film but unlike Liam Neesom going out to kill all bad guys, this movie puts John Cho as a nerdy computer guy leveraging computers, cell phones, and social media. The film is mostly shot through computer screens, cell phones and apps. Clever idea and well executed.

Os Trigonum likes this.