1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

lego 2 was terrible. I tried to sleep at one point.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Captain Marvel - 8/10.

Very solid. Surprised that it was not a summer release. Should do big business.

Kruze10 likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Slow West, which is a New Zealand western on Netflix. Actually pretty good, kind of Coen Brothers-ish, kind of like Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man, and maybe a little bit Tarantino-ish. 7/10, maybe even 8/10.

4. Buck Turgidson

re-watched Panic Room - good flick; good atmosphere and cinematography, very David Fincher; got the good version of Forest Whitaker; Foster and Yoakum were great too.

Kruze10 likes this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Destination Moon, 1950.

8/10

A true classic and certainly the most realistic SF flick from the 1950's, even if it came out at the beginning of the decade. Based on a 1947 (thanks, TCM) Robert Heinlein novel (that I read a very long time ago), Rocketship Galileo, Heinlein also co-wrote the screenplay. It's even in Technicolor! I saw it several times during the '50's, it being a regular daytime Saturday movie entertainment at the Santa Rosa Theatre on Telephone Road, but hadn't seen it in years until a couple of days ago. Highly recommended for fans of early, classic SF and Space in general.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I think it's just about time I re-watch Time Bandits, given that I ran across this today:

Thor: Ragnarok filmmaker Taika Waititi is on board to direct, co-write, and executive-produce a TV show based on the 1981 fantasy film Time Bandits for Apple.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/11/taika-waititi-time-bandits-apple/

FranchiseBlade, mikol13 and GRENDEL like this.
  7. marky :)

marky :) Member

Are we allowed to rate documentaries on here?

Behind the Curve: 10/10

Documentary about the Flat Earth Society and some of its key members. The cougar lady almost became self-aware of her paradox with conspiracy theories but then :confused:. Liked that they didn't do the doc to look down on them but just to get a glimpse on their way of thinking and viewpoints. They should of just renamed themselves to the Mental Gymnastics Society.

Buys $20k gyroscope to prove that the earth is flat -> gyroscope proves earth is round -> dismiss the gyroscopes findings :confused:

B-Bob and BigM like this.
  8. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Just saw The Favourite. Way more finger banging than I expected. 8/10

FranchiseBlade and GRENDEL like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watched American Gangster, first time in years. Holds up pretty well, 9/10. Feels a bit rushed at the end after unfolding throughout at a fairly leisurely pace

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I enjoyed that one. I think the biggest takeaway is that these people have to maintain their beliefs to maintain their lifestyle and popularity. The leaders of this movement are celebrities in their world. If Mark Sargent comes out tomorrow and says the Earth is round, he’s essentially nobody.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I loved that movie, reminded me of Amadeus in certain respects.....

12. marky :)

I actually think he doesn't really believe the earth is flat for the reason you said. Also thought it was funny when he says people recognize him on the streets and know his name. Well it's kind of easy when you have your name on your shirt in giant letters.

Deckard and BigM like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

I Am Richard Pryor: 9/10

He was a genius, he had demons.

14. TheresTheDagger

Den of Thieves ~ 5 out of 10

Ever watch a film that just tries too hard? That's how I'd describe this film. It's essentially a retelling of "Heat" without the star power and an overly complicated plot that tries to be suspenseful but turns out to be rather silly. Its big "action" scene requires suspension of belief even for a Hollywood movie. And the "twist" at the end is just a bit too cheesy to take seriously.

Some decent acting done here by Gerard Butler makes the film watchable. At the same time, watching .50 cent occupy a fairly large role while simultaneously having maybe 5 lines of dialogue in the entire film seems like a complete waste.

If you can see it for free and you're bored, give it a watch. Otherwise, I'd skip this one.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Green Book 9/10. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was touching and entertaining. Vito was awesome, better than Rami Malek.

A Star is Born 7/10. Gaga was surprisingly good. Cooper did a nice drunk Eddie Vedder impression.

Jontro likes this.
  16. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Creed II

6 out of 10. Predictable through most of the movie, and the training montage did absolutely no justice to the Rocky series. I had to go back and rewatch Rocky 4 to get that motivational feeling from the training scenes.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I saw that on a plane this week. I thought Cooper's whole schtick was really odd. He spent most of the movie looking at his lap or at the floor.

[​IMG]

I mean it was constant. Supporting cast, including Chapelle, was really really solid.

daywalker02 and BigM like this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow! I am a huge fan of Time Bandits and almost everything Terry Gilliam has done. I think the concept has limitless possibilities so it might fit well into the tv series format. That being said, I'm super nervous about any type of spin-off because of how I much I love the original.

mikol13 and Deckard like this.
  19. marky :)

Netflix: Triple Frontier

7.5/10 - For a movie straight to Netflix it was a lot better than I thought it would be. Action, plot, and cinematography were good but for me the character development fell a little short. I'd say its definitely worth a watch though.

GRENDEL and Falcons Talon like this.
  20. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Fantasic beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald--3.5/10

Fantastically boring. This prequel sequel could not keep my attention. I didn't even finish the movie. The best part of this movie is the previews.