1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Buck Turgidson

I like Billy Bob (he wrote and directed and acted in it). He's my kind of weird crazy fun.

deb4rockets likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he likes doing that. Hope you like it.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Veronica

Horror film on Netflix that's getting rave reviews. I wouldn't say it's the scariest thing ever, like others have stated, but it is definitely creepy and well-made. Had me on edge throughout, and I enjoyed some of the creative camera shots they achieved. Had a nice set up that connected well to the end too.

7/10

Hidden Figures

Man what a gem this was. Loved all the performances and the characters, dialogue was engaging, and I loved how it's almost a companion piece to The Right Stuff, in that it shows some of the unsung heroes behind the scenes of the space program, who just happen to be African-American women trying to overcome gender/racial barriers at the time. Just an incredible, unmentioned part of our history.

8/10

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Death to Stalin - 8.5 / 10 - English satire / dark comedy with some great acting jobs and timely jokes. It has a simple formula and it works + you get to know a bit about the inside circle of Stalin since they're all based on real life people.

5. Buck Turgidson

The actor who plays Laverinty Beria - Simon Russel Beale - deserves some Oscar run. He was great.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I loved that movie too, especially as a NASA kid. However, just like to point out (since I'm writing a book on the early space program and have interviewed tons of people from that era) Hollywood did it's Hollywood thing with that story. Langley was not as segregated as the movie suggests. It was, strangely, one of the more integrated places in Virginia at the time. So there weren't, according to my research, big bathroom labels for someone to knock off the wall, LOL. The lunchroom was integrated, etc. And there definitely weren't a bunch of dumb white guys who couldn't do orbital mathematics, but whatever.

There were definitely women of color making important contributions and I loved that the movie celebrated them. I just wish they could have been a little less misleading on the details.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Oh yeah I went searching for the real story immediately after the movie! Sounds like it stayed as faithful as a movie adaptation can, despite the changes. And Katherine Johnson gave her stamp of approval!

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Game Night

8/10 -- A lot of people you'd recognize in this which is normally a bad sign, but it was pretty funny. Better than I expected it to be.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Finally got around to watching Wind River. Have to admit to very, VERY mild disappointment. Good movie and all, but I had such high expectations after everyone saying how great a film that I guess it was that it was bound to disappoint. I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Maybe the hype about it being a "thriller" made it a bit of a let down. Anyway, I enjoyed the film just didn't think it warranted all the hype.

donkeypunch and joeson332 like this.
  10. cebu

cebu Member

Broken Arrow. 6/10. Not sure why Travolta is famous, he acts like a soft penis.

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Wind River
    STRONG 8/10
    Pretty diverse cast, the little humor was well put, strong message at the end of the movie.

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Damn I wrote my review for that movie before I saw this lol, same rating though.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Travolta movies past Face Off is forgettable. Swordfish with the lone exception.

ramotadab likes this.
  14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Travolta killed it in OJ too...

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

17. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Broken Arrow came out before Face/Off

A United Kingdom 9/10

Fact based movie about a guy from Africa who falls in love with an English woman. He happens to be successor to the throne in his country and it becomes hugely controversial. I found his movie to be powerful and inspiring.

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Veronica was utter garbage, 2/10, do not believe the reviews and the whole "scared for your life crap"
    Was a complete waste of time, not even the cinematography or anything intrigues you.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Diner - how have i not seen this movie before? Great acting, interesting characters and no real "plot." Just a 'day in the life' kind of movie, which is right up my ally (assuming it's well done). 9/10.

Glad to see you guys are liking Darkest Hour. I LOVE a good historical drama...as long as it's actually historical. Just waiting for it and Dunkirk to come out on HBO so i can watch them both in my theater room!

20. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Yeah Veronica wasn’t good. They shouldn’t of hyped it up like they did.

5/10

The outsider: 7.5/10

I really, really enjoy the premise, Jared Leto actually has a good look for this type of movie, but his acting is just so robotic and bland.