1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Buck Turgidson

I think that was beyond helpful.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sorry!

I enjoy writing and I overdue it sometimes when I'm here. I freely admit that. I'm a frustrated, "wannabe a published author." My sister has had better luck, with a couple of dozen romance novels to her credit. She keeps bugging me about writing, too frequently saying, "You need to keep at it!" She thinks I'm better than she is, which is ludicrous, considering the success she's had, and the large garbage can filled with wadded up pages that I have produced. It's a curse. :(

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For you guys that liked Three Billboards, have you seen any other Martin McDonagh films? A friend of mine recommended one of his short films to me, which is called Six Shooter. I would recommend checking out if you liked that dark twisted humor. It's unlike any movie I have ever seen, but good in that twisted warped way. Warning though, Six Shooter definitely isn't a movie you want to watch with kids around. I haven't checked out his other old films yet, but might just do that one day. If you do, let me know how they are please.

It's only 26 minutes long.

Os Trigonum, eric.81 and Deckard like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Brendan Gleeson is a tremendous actor, so I need to check out this short. Thanks for the heads-up!

eric.81 and deb4rockets like this.
  5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

In Bruges (written and directed by McDonagh) is an amazing movie. Two hitmen (Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell) have to lay low in Bruges, Belgium after a hit gone wrong.

It's at times laugh-out-loud funny, sad, suspenseful, violent, profane... basically what you'd expect from McDonagh.

Phenomenal movie...

RocketWalta and deb4rockets like this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to have to check it out.

eric.81 likes this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Thoroughbreds - 8.5/10

Awesome movie

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Darkest Hour: 10/10
    I absolutely loved this movie and Gary Oldman was brilliant.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've seen it, twice. Both Gleeson and Farrell are amazing in the film. I particularly like the setting, Bruges, and loved that it was largely filmed there. I've been to Bruges a couple of times, once during the World Cup back in the early '80's, and had a great time drinking far out local brews and watching the games with my significant other, as well as with a bunch of cool locals. It's very much like many of the old towns in the Netherlands. Just gorgeous. Anyone thinking about going to the Low Countries just has to visit the place. It's even better when it isn't during the summer, because there isn't nearly the number of tourists. It makes a big difference. Same with Venice, although it's getting to where Venice is crowded regardless of the time of year. I spent about a week there in March of 1971, and the city was darn near empty. It was wonderful.

RocketWalta and eric.81 like this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lady Bird... ug 5.2/10 -- how did I get roped into watching this silly 'coming of age' movie...

11. Buck Turgidson

He's easily one of my favorite actors. Off the top of my head:

The General
    28 Days Later
    Tailor of Panama
    Gangs of NY
    The Guard

Any others?

It wasn't a great series, but the limited run Mr. Mercedes was damn good mostly because of him.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Just finished watching it. Exactly as you described, and with a twist just like Six Shooter. I think I liked Six Shooter even better though, just because it was so bizarre.

eric.81 likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I was disappointed in it as well. Seemed to by hyped up too much for what it was.

14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That was a pretty good flick.

15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Did anyone ever see the movie Daddy and Them? It's actually one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and I just rented it one day years ago never even hearing of it before. It is so stupid, in a Napolean Dynamite kind of way, with hilarious lines. It's got a lot of stars and Billy Bob Thornton and Laura Dern's characters are hilarious. I highly recommend it.

16. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Glad you enjoyed it!

deb4rockets likes this.
  17. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

Thirded. Kind of a waste of time for an Oscar pick.

The Florida Project (8.6/10) was a cool little engrossing indie though. Dafoe was solid and they drew out shockingly believable performances from some 10 year olds and an Instagram model. Probably my favorite of the year overall.

deb4rockets likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I did not finish it either. I typically like movies like that also. So I dunno haha

deb4rockets likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Just looked it up, looks like stupid fun to me. Will definitely check it out. Thanks!

deb4rockets likes this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I have a feeling you will either love it or hate it. I think Billy Bob Thornton wrote his and Laura Dern's characters to perfection. Great laughs!