1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2017-18

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 25, 2017.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Need to look for low hanging fruit. Vet buyout opportunities like Tyson Chandler or picks for young players on talented teams that are not winning, like Magic (Hezonja) or Bucks (Maker).

saleem, baller4life315 and skroodup25 like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I will say this, the more I watch Tarik Black play the more I have been overall disappointed in him. He is better for this team than Harrell in terms of team defense and rebounding, but I was expecting a bit more level play from Black.

To that end, if Tyson Chandler becomes available in the buy out market, I am much more keen on picking him up to take Black's minutes than I might have been a month ago.

3. Why not?

Why not? Member

I know, I know... I'm totally insane-crazy, but this was a fun one to think up.

Reading the latest power rankings and tea leaves, I caught wind that KAT and Thibs aren't getting along very well thus far. Thibs is frustrated. Everyone knows DJ is on the block and there are rumors that Thibs wants him. Minnesota is kind of treading water right now (when their front office and fan base are ready for the winning to FINALLY ensue). Mostly, it's been because their young guys haven't improved their defense with the addition of stalwarts Butler and Gibson and an overall lack of fluidity in an offense where the players' skill-sets don't compliment each other. Plus the Clips are entering tank-now mode and want to get the most out of Lou and DJ. While this trade is still a pretty ridiculous fantasy (and I'm a huge Clint fan), ALL of the trades involving stars the past year have seemed like fleeces. So give me a bit of a break!

Here's the deal:
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8joy4ql

We get:
    -Karl Anthony-Towns

Wolves get:
    -DeAndre Jordan
    -Lou Williams
    -Chinanu Onuaku
    -Houston 2018 2nd Round Pick
    -Los Angeles 2020 2nd Round Pick
    -Los Angeles 2020 2nd Round Pick (One is from Cleveland)

Clippers get:
    -Clint Capela
    -Gorgui Dieng
    -Cole Aldrich
    -Houston 2020 1st Round Pick (Top 3 protected)

Why we do it: While Clint is playing much more efficiently than KAT currently, KAT has a higher ceiling. He's a year younger (and has an extra year left on his contract) and has a much more versatile offensive game. Free throws aren't too much of an issue for Clint anymore, but KAT shoots an incredible 85% from there. KAT is also a solid threat from deep and would help open up our offense even more. Both of these guys are gonna get max contracts, but this way we get a little more room to improve this off-season before we lock in KAT. I think this is the only kind of deal Morey would move Clint for. The future 1st hurts, but it's the kind of risk Morey continues to take when the potential gain is extremely high... like it is here.

Why the Wolves do it: To get deeper. To play better defense. To win now. And because Thibs and KAT are at odds and Thibs is the dictator-type. This deal sets the Timberwolves up as an extremely deep club on the perimeter. They are relying on their starters to carry 36+ minutes a game and hemorrhaging when they sit. Lou is playing well for a team going nowhere and would be what the Wolves thought they were getting when they signed Jamal Crawford, and more. DJ is the perfect center for Thibs and his presence would allow Butler and Wiggins more freedom in the offense. They seem to force things to KAT more than maybe they should and it is hurting the entire offense. The other big advantage of this move is shedding the huge salaries of Dieng and Aldrich. Aldrich isn't even playing, but he's on the books for 7.5m per for 2 more years. Dieng will be one of the highest paid backup centers in the league after Joakim Noah and Mozgov (if Jahlil can supplant him). This move probably wouldn't be popular among the pundits for the Wolves, but it definitely improves their team this year and their cap flexibility going forward.

Why the Clippers do it: They are trying to get whatever they can for DJ's expiring contract (if he opts out) and they'll be doing the same at the deadline for Lou. This way they get a young, budding asset to replace DJ that fits next to Blake. He'll cost them this summer, but it allows them to continue with a similar foundation they seem to like. Clint is more valuable than DJ at this point. DJ's contract is much higher and he's plateauing as he nears 30, while Clint continues to improve with a similar impact to the All-Star center already at just 23 years old. Taking on Dieng and Aldrich make sense for them because of the draft asset they get back. This deal helps the Clippers lose more this year (which everyone over there already seems prepared for) to improve their own pick, while also giving them a brighter future with a extra first in 2020 and younger guys to build on right now.

#143 Why not?, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Shark44 and da_juice like this.
  4. fattz

fattz Member

KAT (top 3 big in the league on rookie pay this year & next —> never played with a superstar let alone two)
    For
    Capela (coming off rookie scale and looking for a big pay day), one of the last first round picks, the 3rd or 4th to the last pick in the entire draft, and an okayish prospect.

Where do we sign?

5. Rockets4Life13

Whenever im watching a pistons game Galloway is hitting every 3 he puts up. Would take him for a 2nd rounder. Not sure if pistons would give him away tho and if he actually would see playing time with cp,james,eric. But certainly nice to have a player coming off the bench who’s hitting his 3s and can get hot real fast

Cashmoney likes this.
  6. Rockets4Life13

While KAT might be superior to Capela, Capela is a better fit for now. Also KAT doesn’t play defense and our offense is already potent enough. I don’t see it. Also KAT is their franchise player, highly doubt they deal him

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thon Maker's option for 17-18 has been picked up. He is a valuable piece for them, especially with Parker's injuries. Hezonja may be obtainable, but for what? I don't want to give up Zhou for him.
    I think Tyson Chandler may agree to a buyout, as it seems that Phoenix may end up in the lottery. The Celtics might try to get him, but I'm encouraged by Codman's information, that Tyson is considering joining the Rockets.

RocketsTerps and D-rock like this.
  8. Why not?

Why not? Member

I don't "see it", just tried to fit it for a fun look at rumors. I really love Clint and I believe in his work ethic to be even better than KAT in the long run. But KAT's versatility is so enticing. Just saying. I know this thread is for random thoughts, so that's why I make posts like this. I'm not idiotic enough to think this is likely. :)

9. Rockets4Life13

Actually i doubt that capela will be better than KAT at any point. But we need defensive presence and KAT is a black hole on def.
    And yes i agree, if KAT could get his defense straightened up, he would be damn great on the rockets

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Don't think Magic would want Zhou, they have too many 4's & 5's as is. Maybe rights to Llull or Gentile, they need scoring upgrade from guards. Plus a 2nd? Thanks for info on Maker, guess he's not the bust he's being made out to be on here. And I hope Cod is right about Chandler too, I like Black but Tyson would be a huge upgrade for postseason run.

11. saleem

Well, neither Gentile or Llull want to come to the NBA. Let's see what Morey does next.

12. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Lue williams 35.points today

13. saleem

He won't have any role on the Rockets.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  14. eslate22

eslate22 Member

this might be the first time in the morey era that we don’t make a trade at the deadline

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. saleem

I hope that a buyout for a big who might want to join the Rockets will be seriously considered. I think Troy Williams needs a fresh opportunity, on other team. If Morey can get a future 2nd rounder for him, that would create space for a new player, moving Nanu would be good too, but I doubt if anyone will want him. We need a impact player, who can play the Josh Smith role for us.

D-rock likes this.
  16. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Morey can’t help himself. However, Tarik Black, Troy Williams and Nanu are the only ones I see us trading. Here’s hoping Detroit or Utah bottoms out and future unrestricted FA Avery Bradley or restricted FA Rodney Hood becomes available. We will sign Tyson Chandler after his buyout.

da_juice likes this.
  17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Trade harden for klay thompson

18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Banned

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

Even after winning 10 straight I am still willing to trade

Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon

For

Paul George and Patrick Patterson (kyle singler for salary purposes)

This trade will really put us in the running for a dynasty

Capela
    George
    Ariza
    Harden
    Paul

Nene
    Patterson
    Tucker
    Luc

What we lose in firepower we make up for in defense and at the end of the day defense and star power win championships

OKC is desparate and this trade will actually make them better as well

Adams
    Anderson
    Melo
    Gordon
    Westbrook

Westbrook like Harden needs shooters to spread the floor to allow him to go 1 on 1

George gives us the versatility we need and our defense will definitely be top 5

20. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

We should not do any trade to affect our chemistry. We only need to think how to trade those bench such as bobby, zhou, onaku, troy players to replace with a useful player that DAnton will use it.,

withmustard and D-rock like this.