1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rams possibly returning to LA?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

A lot of people don't realize that Anaheim is almost as close to San Diego as it is to LA. If you are in LA, getting to Anaheim is a trek.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Logistically, I just don't understand how a team in London will work. Unfair disadvantage for road teams playing in London and unfair disadvantage for London team playing road games. They'd have to do consecutive road games in the US each time and find somewhere to stay/practice between games.

Heck yeah it is. I have a cousin that lives in Culver City (actually works for the NFL there). When I'm in Anaheim for business (which is often), he will come to see me...but kind of complains about it. It's about a 1-1/2 hour drive...which is only slightly shorter than going from Anaheim to SD.

3. Major

Major Member

The logistics for the London team could work - you'd have to extend bye weeks a bit. The London team could do 4 games at home / 4 away / 4 at home / 4 away to minimize travel. The road teams could always have a bye week before or after their London game.

I think the bigger issue is competitive balance. I'm not sure if free agents would be as willing to sign there, simply because it's so far from families/friends/etc. Except for people who really want to live in London, it seems like a huge problem for that team. You see it in NBA with Toronto to some extent, and that's not even far away.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's because LA is HUGE.

Its like going from the Clear Lake area to the Woodlands (only further).

Putting a stadium in downtown LA, near the Staples/LA Live complex would be an instant success... to the point that people will wonder what the hell took so long.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The main issue is where the team would practice/live for the season.

If they're on their 4 away game stretch.... if they're choosing to practice/live in London, that's still a lot of travel for them. And if they're not choosing to practice/live in London, I'm not so sure how much of a real connection the city and the team can have.

I guess when they're on their 4 game "home" stretch, they'd have to have some sort of permanent facilities in the UK.

It would be pretty disjointed from that respect. I think a team commuting weekly out of London would be at a disadvantage.

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I live in the Clear Lake area. The Woodlands is 50 miles away. LA to Anaheim is about 35 miles. It is comparable, but it isn't further.

7. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

It is a city which lost two football teams tho.

It is a fairweather city. Most Clipper fans did not even exist 5 years ago.

Look at NY, there is a lot to do there but they have strong fanbases for 2 football teams, 2 baseball teams and 2 basketball teams

8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

With LA traffic, it feels like farther tho.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I deove from la to Anaheim like 2 weeks ago, it's not that far

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Once again, the revenue model is different now. LA, by its media market alone, could sustain a team with league-worst attendance. The Clippers are a perfect example of this. They sucked balls for 30 years and had miserable crowds, but Donald Sterling made money hand over fist regardless. LA has had really funky relationships with its NFL owners and been put in some bad situations, much like Houston was. They will get a team, possibly even 2, in the next 5 years.

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

As somebody who just got back from Anaheim and flew into LAX, I agree. I was staying in Anaheim and went into LA 3 times while I was there. Each time it was no less than 1.5 hours to get there.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I disagree on Anaheim to LA/San Diego DISTANCE

SD to Anaheim is twice the distance easily more than LA to Anaheim. (Its part how MLB Angels are Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, because its close enough in proximity)

In actual COMMUTE TIME, yes it can be closer to equal in time on road with the LA over-congested traffic. And SD having (most the time) a clearer road to and from.

(I just went from Anaheim to downtown LA a couple days ago)

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Talking about commute time.... although going from Clear Lake to Woodlands during rush hour traffic would take about the same time as going from LA to Anaheim.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Downtown LA to Anaheim, 25 mi ~ 45-90 mins, depending on traffic
    Sherman Oaks (LA) to Anaheim, 40-45 mi ~ 1-2 hrs, depending on traffic
    San Diego to Anaheim, ~100 mi, 90 min drive or 2 hr train

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I don't think a London team would commute to/from London weekly.

Major's idea makes sense. The team would have a US headquarters, more than likely share facilities with another team (for example, Giants or Jets).

The team could play 4 home, 4 away, 4 home, 4 away.

Issues:

1) Identity - Most players would not want to live and train there in the offseason. OTAs, training camp, preseason games etc. would more than likely occur here.

2) Competitive disadvantage - Not only with free agents, but could a team win a Super Bowl by having no home field advantage? The "home" games would probably feel like exhibition events.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly... and if they're playing 4 straight home games, that WOULD require a weekly commute to/from London.

There's more to having a home game besides just the crowd behind you. Its spending the whole week sleeping in your own bed. Spending time with family. Getting into routines. Enjoying certain nightlife/restaraunts. Not having to get on/off a plane (let alone a 6-8 hour plane ride). Partaking in events and being involved in the community.

The NFL can continue to put games in London... and may eventually get 8 regular season games there (which would represent the 8 "home" games). They would continue to make a lot of money and they'd continue to expand their brand overseas.

I see that as a more realistic possibility instead of having an actual "team" there.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Owner of St. Louis Rams plans to build NFL stadium in Inglewood

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Whoa, that last stadium looks wild.

Los Angeles has become the Seattle of the NFL, held hostage as leverage. I feel bad for Seattle in this regard, not so much for LA.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Finally.

Raiders or Chargers will probably piggyback onto this project.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

So, would both Farmers Field and the stadium in Inglewood be constructed if one of them breaks ground before the other?