1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Push the Panic Button?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BleedsRocketRed, Aug 9, 2017.

1. alethios

alethios Member

Keuckel was right to be upset, but they are professionals earning lots of money and they can certainly pull themselves up out of this mess they're in.

2. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

The something else is having a manager who is merely along for whatever ride the players take him on. Hinch lacks the ability to chart a course or steer the team in any particular direction.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They are 4-9 since the july 31 deadline. Obviously they are human. The dodgers, the best team in baseball get darvish, the yankees get grey and we liriano. Of course people will be disappointed. Its human nature.

4. Major

Major Member

The Yankees are 4-7 in August. Are they disappointed they only got Gray? Or are you just arbitrarily deciding that disappointment is the cause for our struggles?

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I went into the Chron comments section. Its cesspool didn't disappoint

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No one ever remembers who wins in October. It's who wins in July. Duh.

7. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Those claiming not to have been concerned about the stros lately are flat out lying. Let me translate. Those saying: "they are going to make the playoffs, and if they don't get healthy in time for a deep run, oh well" are simply trying to maintain appearances on the board. Inside they are begging DK, lance, and correa to get healthy. Everybody knows if they don't, it will be a monumental waste.

Houstunna likes this.
  8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Not sure why you're trying to translate some people's words (IMO, mine are included) for everyone else. But you're wrong--for me at least.

I haven't been overly concerned--because injuries happen, and losing streaks happen (and when they're connected, it's even easier to understand). I also haven't said "if they don't get healthy in time, oh well". Nor do I give a **** about "maintaining appearances".

I truly believe Keuchel, Correa, Springer, and Harris will be fully healthy before the playoffs--and I've believed that since before the losing streak, through the trade deadline, and through last week. McCullers, I'm still hopeful on and believe they're being more conservative on him because of the state of the division lead...risk/reward evaluation says rest him more if you can. I expect him to have at least 4-5 starts before the end of the season if at all possible to get things back in order.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

So you've been concerned, just not overly :)

Hopefully the injured guys return in time AND aren't rusty come postseason.

#169 Houstunna, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    T for 3 likes this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Am I concerned that we may not win the world series? ok
    Am I concerned that a losing streak like theirs is unusual in baseball? no.
    Am i concerned that the FO doesn't care about winning? no
    Am i concerned that our key guys wont get healthy by playoff time. DK and Correa, no. Lance, maybe.
    Am i concerned that our offense wont turn it around? no

So yea, for the most part, I am not concerned. Do I have some specific concerns, yes. I am I lying? no.

T for 3 likes this.
  11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

If you have the belief that everything is going to be fine, then we have nothing to talk about. But its the assumtion that even if there was reason to be concerned, or "panic", you shouldn't, because in the end it is out of our control...to me that is BS. The point is to invest emotionally. I know there are going to be some who rebut, and say they aren't invested in that way, but to me, if you watch and comment on every game, it is impossible not to be emotionally invested, so I don't understand why some are already taking the approach that what happens really doesn't matter. That is what I am calling a "lie".

Houstunna likes this.
  12. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

This post is hilarious. Can the few folks that are consistently negative, or critical of the team/front office help me explain where they are coming from? It almost seems like a handful of folks want the Astros/front office to fail, and are very much enjoying this lull, and using it as a huge "see, I told you not making any significant moves at the trade deadline will doom us. DOOM US I tell you!"

Or maybe you guys take offense to the few folks that appreciate the job Luhnow and company have done. Does the confidence we have in the front office bother y'all that much? I mean I am a Luhnow fan, but that doesn't mean I won't criticize them when they I feel is appropriate. But I'll basically just criticize them, and move on. I rather not spend my energy HARPING on the same criticism for weeks/months on end. For example, I was actually critical of the Josh Reddick signing. I felt like we overpaid, and that he wouldn't hit enough in order to be an asset to our team. I am glad to report that so far I have been very, very wrong. Or more recently, I really wanted Zach Britton. More than most, I'd say. From the reports I've read, it seems like our front office made a run at him, and failed in acquiring him. It was a gut punch for a solid 24-48 hours for me, but then I decided to move on, since complaining about it, or moping around about it, wasn't going to accomplish anything. I will not run over to post "see, I told you Britton should've been an Astro!?!!" every time a reliever gives up a run. But it almost seems like some folks relish in that.

Baseball would be terrible to follow if every run given up, every GIDP we hit, or every strikeout with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs, bothered me as much as it seems to bother some of my clutchfan brethren. I would be a miserable person (I'll admit that as even-keel as I try to be, there will be loses that ruin my night, and put me in a crappy mood - but I am trying to minimize that).

Baseball is a marathon, it is full of failure, and I think most people that have played it/have enough experience with it truly appreciate it. So even though you don't have to talk any of us off a cliff, it doesn't mean that we love absolutely everything our front office does. I think we tend to look more at the big picture, and understand losing streaks WILL happen, and that we just hope that we minimize long losing streaks, and and we finish the season playing good baseball, and if we are fortunate enough to make the playoffs, get hot at the right time, and win the whole damn thing one of these years, preferably sooner rather than later.

Baseball is a very different animal than basketball or football. Please don't take this post as me trying to tell anyone how they should be fans, I think we are all rooting for our Stros, but it just strikes me as a very non-optimal way to look at it.

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Agreed, just add Harris to "maybe".

Everyone should've been concerned with Keuchel up until yesterday. His good play yesterday was HUGE.

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

How do you define "consistently negative?"

I'm sure my negative post-count is <40%

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I will say that in game stuff makes me upset and I typically avoid the BBS during a bad game or after a loss. It is usually pretty quick though for a rebound.

On long term side, I'm just worried about teams health. If healthy, they are good enough to win, but it will be tough as it is for every team. If they don't get healthy, it is going to need a ton of luck.

16. kaleidosky

I don't believe "everything is going to be fine". If anyone believed that about anything in life, they'd be wrong fairly often. Things happen. Everything has variables associated with it. Baseball, and other sports (and life), require consideration of those variables when thinking about potential outcomes of single games and entire seasons.

So, I suppose I'm saying I understand the variability and react as such. And in my opinion, the risk is very tolerable right now given the Astros' current position, future likelihood of success, my opinion on how the front office/management is playing the injury recovery game, etc.

Doesn't mean I'm not invested emotionally. I get pissed at losses. I can simultaneously understand why losses happen...and it makes me feel better about some losses vs. others. For example, I can understand that Giles (or whoever) is going to blow a few games this year, so I'll still be pissed when it happens--but I won't go say he sucks or that he should be removed unless it becomes a serious pattern (not saying you do that). Just saying, logic and emotion run simultaneously. (And I'll also say that I'm not any less emotionally invested because of the way I react.)

17. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Hello fellow fan. I wasn't necessarily directing my thoughts to you in particular. I've noticed it for several seasons from several folks (probably just the nature of message boards), but I've found it fascinating that it is almost worse this year, in a year that we should be enjoying some of the best baseball this franchise has seen. If random strangers were to pop in periodically throughout the course of the season, I think they would guess that we were below .500 by 25 games as opposed to over .500 by 25 games.

But I quoted you because I interpreted your brief back and forth with kaleidosky as you almost wanting to talk him off a cliff (or perhaps join you on the cliff?). It seemed like it wasn't good enough that he was concerned, but also slightly cautiously optimistic. It's like you were really pushing for him to proclaim "the sky is falling, we suck again, see y'all in 2018." I am obviously paraphrasing and using some hyperbole, but that was just how I interpreted it. I could be very wrong, wouldn't be the first time buddy!

Let's split the series tonight, we can all agree with that.

18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I agree with everything you've said here. To be honest, my post was a reaction to some previous posts which expressed a sort of apathy towards what was going on. My response was in no way directed towards you, and it seems like we are on the same page more often than not.

kaleidosky likes this.
  19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's all about expectations. When the team is playing well, naturally the expectation is for the team to continue to play well, while making strides towards winning a championship. When fans feel that there is a divergence between potential greatness vs. actual performance, I think emotions kick in, and frustration comes out (perhaps even worse when the team really is on the verge of greatness). I agree that we should all be better about enjoying how good this team has been, but I think given the recent swoon coupled with the inactivity at the trade deadline, the angst has grown in the fanbase. I've been pretty vocal about the fact that I don't think Luhnow did a good job at the deadline, but I will never allow that to cloud my judgement on the team itself. This season has been awesome, and October baseball is right around the corner.

20. kaleidosky

For you and @T for 3 , this is how it's coming off to me (in addition to my long response above). Not trying to be a jerk--trying to illustrate that I'm concerned, but why it seems like we're on different pages.

edit: @T for 3 , was writing this before I saw your last post

[​IMG]

#180 kaleidosky, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Major likes this.