1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Puerto Rico crying for help; Trump lands in New Jersey for 2nd straight relaxing golf weekend

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

But it does change the level of federal funding they get. I understand that they want statehood now, but if they had wanted it decades ago, we'd be having a very different conversation.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't have to change the amount they get in disaster relief, unless someone treats them as if they are second class citizens.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It should though. States should be the priority and there should be a limit to how much the federal government should give a non state territory. If you want to call that making them 2nd class citizens, fine, but it's really just common sense.

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Citizens in need should be the priority. What you call 'common sense', I call immoral.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they were citizens in a state in need, it would be different. The states are simply the priority and there's nothing immoral about that. If anything it's questionable to take from the citizens of the states in order to give to territories who have different tax situations than those who are paying the bills.

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

There is something immoral about using state vs. territory to deny citizens in need. That's a ridiculous reason. There are so many spending priorities to look at that have nothing to do with statehood vs. being a United States territory.

There is nothing in the constitution or disaster relief guidelines that say certain United States citizen take priority over other United States priority. You are once again making crap up to rationalize your own strange biases.

No Worries likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, there's nothing that says it, but it's common sense. The territories don't share equal status to that of states, just how it is. You care more about a child than you would a distant relative.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I know it's really immoral, but this morning I took food out of my friends' fridge without telling them and gave it to a guy who was doing manual labor with no shade in 113 degree weather. Lock me up, how IMMORAL!!!

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

US citizens in US territories don’t have to pay the same taxes as US citizens in US states?

Good to know!

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They don't pay personal federal income tax.

No Worries likes this.
  12. No Worries

If I move to PR I can stop paying federal income tax? That sounds too good to be true.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You are talking about states and territories. I'm talking about human beings. The U.S. wouldn't have to cut off services for anyone in order to help Puerto Rico.

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's so interesting when you can tell a poster is calling Bobby out on his bullshit, even when you yourself have him on ignore. It's clear from FB's posts that he is banging his head against a morally repugnant wall that only gets stronger the more it posts smarter-than-thou takes on this BBS.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So does that mean that states that produce less tax revenue per citizen because of their shitty healthcare and education standards like Alabama and Mississippi deserve less disaster relief resources allocation?

Is that what Bobby is trying to say?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What you are doing is making an emotional appeal and ignoring logic and reason....which is pretty much where most of our friends on the left are at these days.

The "BUT THEY"RE PEOPLE!!!!" argument isn't something that will help you win your case after it was destroyed on the facts.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The people argument does win a case when talking about morality and doing the right thing. You haven't made a case at all. If the U.S. had no resources then we might have to ration them out. That isn't the case. The U.S. has more than enough resources to not deprive states of anything, and still provide aid to Puerto Rico.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

? when did trump ever help out during the Louisiana flood.

20. No Worries

I am sure that those paper towels do not throw themselves.