1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

private school for your children

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheke64, Sep 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have read most of this thread. There is plenty of good information.

I am bumping it though to inquire if anyone could give me information or their experience regarding magnet schools. I have began (attempting) to teach my 8 year old Japanese. There are only 2 middle schools in Austin that have a Japanese class. One of them being a Magnet School.

Are there requirements to attend this type of school besides your address?

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is, in no way, a smart-ass question, but have you tried asking the 2 middle schools, themselves? Since you're looking at specific schools in Austin, I think it'd be better to call the school directly and inquire, instead of waiting for an answer on here.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I planned on doing that. Only one the schools mentioned is a Magnet School.

I was curious if anyone had an opinion or more importantly experience with them in general themselves or with their children.

If that makes sense.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I forgot I created this thread 4 years ago. Reason I was looking for a private school was to get my son better teachers and a better environment. He wasn't doing great he would struggle with his classes. I decided to put him in football for many reasons I just know the importance of a sport. Fast forward to now, he's in 9th grade all honor roll with a 4.8 gpa. He wants to be a doctor. He's in the same public school but with a better circle of friends that aspire to be great.

Blake, pirc1, Haymitch and 4 others like this.
  5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I know this is a old thread but studies have shown that private is more beneficial in high school, but most people tend to send their kids to private school at early ages which is a totally poor investment.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

THAT IS FRICKING AWESOME

I maybe late but . . .. Magnet schools generally use to require you kid be exception (I use the term lightly )
    I mean an above average student
    Think of it like trying to get into college . . . .. they have *some* criteria but if your kid is studying Japanese I doubt they would have an issue
    THAT SAID the issue that there is only TWO schools teaching it maybe an issue

If you kid is ZONED to the school .. . . meaning you living in that area
    They may attend the school but that does not guarantee they will get into the Japanese classes
    The School Counselors and maybe some other Admins would have control of that
    Magnet schools alot of times put Magnet Students (their pride and joy college bound kids that are their shining stars) ahead of 'regular' students

Rocket River

cheke64 and peleincubus like this.
  7. runamok

runamok Member

I have a child in the Chinese Mandarin Immersion School (Magnet) here in Houston. Pre-AP classes, a lot of work- they challenge the student- but doing great. All types of kids from Very diverse backgrounds, good supportive environment. 2 classes are taught entirely in Chinese (Sciences and Math)- it’s amazing on how much kids can grasp a new language. Sports is not huge here, but they started a basketball team recently. - you might want to talk to some parents who go to that school as all language immersion schools may not be the same. There is a waiting list we had to get in a couple of years a go, not paying anything.

peleincubus likes this.
  8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

As long as elementary and middle schools are highly rated, your child will be fine in public schools. For high school, try to enroll him/her in a magnet hs.

That was the formula for us, and now my oldest is a freshman at Johns Hopkins. Hopefully, my youngest will follow the same path.

peleincubus likes this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

No kids yet but which are the good private schools around Heights or midtown? How much $$$ does it cost per year?

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Runamok, do you speak Mandarin? Pele, do you speak Japanese? Enough to do it regularly at home without getting tired? My experience with an immersion environment (at Awty) and language magnet in elementary school is that the kids will not learn a ton unless they learn it at home. It might give them a passing familiarity, and they may some day be able to order a beer and find the bathroom in a foreign language, but they won't exactly be winning a Pulitzer.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

No I know nothing about Japanese besides occasional anime and visiting the country a few times.

The magnet school is not an immersion school. It is only one of two middle schools in Austin that offer a Japanese language class.

No I plan is after him and deciding on Japanese is to buy materials at home. Practice over the next 3-4 years along with tutors. Then take Japanese in middle school &high school. And then again in a university. Which by that point would give him probably a 2nd or 3rd level proficiency lol

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

like 15k per year. I'm not sure its worth it. If you do it all the way through high school, you're talking like $180K plus per kid.

I would think they'll be just fine with public schools (assuming decent districts) and parents being really involved, pushing their kids. AP classes are probably a must though. And other activities (band, sports, debate, whatever, so long as their not sitting at home).

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

It depends on the type of magnet school, and a lottery may be involved. For example, a vanguard magnet school in HISD normally requires that students be GT qualified before being placed a lottery. Typically, magnet schools require that you at least live within the district.

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Honestly, if I had $10k-$15K for a private school, I'd use that money to move to a really good school district. That way your child receives a better education, AND you're investing in a better home for a larger return durn the road.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Sending your child to a GOOD private school is well worth it, and no, even the best public schools cannot compete because the top end private schools get to hand pick their student body.

Going to private schools also allow for your children to develop good networks as well.

My sister went to the best private schools in Houston and wound up graduating from Yale. She also is well adjusted and is genuinely happy.

I don't believe that private schools are for everyone. Then again I don't believe that conventional schools are for everyone either. There have been a number of extremely smart people that simply could not/would not finish traditional schooling.

16. JuanValdez

I think the plan has a chance if your kid is intrinsically motivated to learn Japanese. Or has a savant-like ability with languages. My mother is French but raised me speaking English, so I only had a cursory introduction to the language. Then from 6th to 8th grade, all my classes except 2 were in French and the last 2 English-language classes and half of my lunch period were replaced with French tutoring classes. And I did learn plenty, but I was not intrinsically motivated to learn it, I am not particularly gifted in learning language, I didn't practice regularly at home, and consequently it was a hard slog and I didn't achieve as much as you would hope given that investment. Individual outcomes may differ.

If you pay sticker price. Like with colleges, many private schools have tuition assistance.

I am thinking of returning to the private school world for my kids. As I'd described earlier in this thread, I pulled my kids out of private school and went public after a falling out. And, philosophically, I think we produce a lot of social injustice with our hybrid public-private school system. But, I also know I can get the best outcomes for my kids by getting them into a great private school. The cost I'm not worried about. They usually have financial assistance for those that need it. For money that comes out of my pocket, I cannot think of anything that has a better return than maximizing my children's education. And, if I'm flat busted by the time they get to college, I'm actually totally fine with them carrying the debt burden it takes to finance their education. If they fail, that student debt can be a financial disaster, so the trick is to never fail. No stress, kids! :p

cheke64 and Nook like this.
  17. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'm aware of the financial assistance, but I don't think we normally qualify due to our income. We're kind of in the higher middle income family where you probably could afford private school if you wanted, but don't necessarily qualify for financial assistance.

We tried private pre-k for my kid. He had a first year teacher, and a teacher's aide who didn't speak great English. And I'm thinking "I'm paying almost $1K for this?" My wife was so dead set on getting our kids a private catholic education. She also thought that we'd be shielding him from "bad" things in public schools (bullies, etc.). As it turns out, they're definitely bullies in private schools too.

I saw that just to say, just because a school is private, doesn't mean its better. From the research I've done on our local schools, they seem to be just fine. Now, if he always wants more once he gets older, I'd consider it. But I'm don't think I need to search one out necessarily, since we have good schools in the area.

My school wasn't considered a top school by any stretch (texas city ISD). I'm doing fairly well.

As parents, I feel we get way too caught up in trying to give our kids everything so they can be the absolute best thing ever. I really just want to teach my kids that they should want to be the best they can. If they're always trying that, and wanting more, I'll never say no. But don't want to force the situation. If my kids not going to be an Ivy-leaguer (and I don't think just putting them in a really good private school will automatically make them love learning), then I'm not going to make them try to be one.

DieHard Rocket likes this.
  18. JuanValdez

@K LoLo, I can respect that. I think things can get personal real quick for parents when it comes to schools. If I come off holier-than-thou on private schools, I didn't mean it. Schools have their pros and cons. I read what I wrote in this thread 4 years ago where I excoriated private schools for discrimination, and I still believe that's true, to take one example. For my kids (now, because my kid was discriminated against by a private school in the past), I think it's the best solution assuming I can get into the schools I want, to mold my kids the way I want them molded. And it'll cost me something, but I think it's worth it. I don't mean to say its better in general than public school. I don't think there is such a thing as one provider being demonstrably better for all customers, when the customers and customer needs are all different.

Btw, though I put my musings about a return to private school after my response to you, I wasn't particularly aiming it at a response to you. I just wanted to point out financial assistance. Otherwise, I was just shooting the breeze to the room.

19. cebu

cebu Member

15k will jsut go to property tax. same property type in SCR and Riverstone will have a price different of at least 100k.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously I haven’t done the research yet but it’s around the corner. Based on some conversations I’ve had with people I was expecting $15k a semester. 15 k for a year sounds like steal.