1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prime T-mac vs Prime KD

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Dec 11, 2018.

?

Prime

1. KD

55 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Tmac

48 vote(s)
    43.6%
  3. Tie

7 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Are they playing 1on1 in a playoff game? If so then we know Tmac would lose.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is a good question...KD is taller and the better shooter...T-Mac is more explosive and skilled

Orlando T-Mac is 1 of my favorite players of all time so I’ll go with him...he was so smooth and made the game look so easy

02-03 T-Mac was legendary

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What are the rules? Make it take it? No 2s, all 1s?

Regardless KD will win...just trying to figure out how big if a margin it would be

Lovemachine2000, HP3 and tinman like this.
  5. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

02-03 Tmac essentially was an outlier year. Durant is just better at too many things, this isn’t really that close. Durant’s prime is far longer while Tmac had one peak season, then some other very good, but not anything close to legendary seasons

Lovemachine2000 and tinman like this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ironic because TMac complained about not having help and KD couldn't win without the help, so he ran to it.

Two similar guys with two similar styles. Mac is at a disadvantage because people quickly forget guys who haven't played in a couple of years, especially if they had a short prime.

EDIT: see post above mine, haha.

I don't compare stats for a 1v1, I compare physical tools and play styles. KD vs Mac would be pretty even. Doesn't mean Mac is a better player than KD. There are a lot of factors that go into that.

And KD gets a pass for everything he does while Mac gets crucified for his.

I bet Terrence Williams and KJ McDaniels are great 1v1 players, too.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I guess looking at 1v1 there could be something to debate for a prime 1v1 (maybe), but overall have to go with KD

8. sage281

sage281 Member

KD 15 to 13

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

I voted thinking it was just who was better before seeing this is about 1 on 1. I'd probably go with T-Mac in a strictly 1 on 1 game. He'd just blow by KD to the basket whenever he'd want. KD would settle for his finesse face up. Get physical with him and don't give him space and eventually some of those sweet jumpers won't fall. There's not going to be any downhill pull up 3's or screens to free up mid range jumpers. T-Mac at his apex was just too damn explosive and he was actually really good man to man defense and he'd more than make up for his height deficit with his 7'2" wingspan on those KD jumpers. KD won't keep T-Mac in front of him.

In reality any NBA star can beat any NBA star in a single 1 off game of 1 on 1. You'd need a set of matches to determine anything out of it.

23 year old T-Mac though? The one that was at his physical prime which is one of the most incredible athletes the NBA has ever seen and attacked the basket relentlessly and got his shot up over anyone and could catch fire like Kobe? Not too many i'd take over that T-Mac in a strictly 1 on 1 game.

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

I still remember this game like it was yesterday. IIRC KD said T-Mac was his favorite player and wanted to play like him

Rookie KD vs already in decline T-Mac(23 year old T-mac would have slaughtered this T-mac who barely attacked and settled for inefficient deep 2s and heat check 3s and a heavy body already breaking down while Kd still plays relatively the same and physically the same other than he probably grew 2")

topfive likes this.
  11. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

T-mac. I think people forgot had not for the injuries he would've been better than kobe.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

One on one, I don't know. But put them on teams with 4 other mediocre players and I'd go with T-Mac. KD is at his best when he's got a teammate who's at least a bit of a distraction on the court .

clutchdabear likes this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Imagine if KD had even a quarter of the talent on his teams that T-Mac played with. He didn't even get to play with the Machine in his prime like T-mac got.
    [​IMG]

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

One was the best player on 2 teams with other hall of famers. The other was one of the biggest chuckers in the history of the NBA.

tinman likes this.
  15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

KD is a great player - but TMAC was magic...

Take away the injuries and the questionable heart and drive and TMAC woulda rivaled MJ...

KD ever score 13 in 33?

16. RightTooCensor

If only that magic happened in games that mattered

tinman likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. riko

riko Member

Mac in his prime could virtually do anything he wanted on the floor. He had no weakness except the lack of heart

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

KD is a better shooter but Tmac is more fun to watch

20. bmelo

bmelo Member

i give small edge to the peak tmac because of driving ability and ballhandling. +when he tried(national games vs kobe) he was better defensive player than u think