1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pressure washer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I need to buy a pressure washer, but don’t know what to look for.

I’ll be using it mainly on the siding of my house (hardiplank), sidewalk, driveway, and back porch (concrete and stone).

I don’t know how much power I will need for that. Probably the thing that would require the most power is when I have to spray mildew off the siding of the attic window (due to its position, during a certain time of year the sun doesn’t hit it enough causing one side of it to get mildew). My roof is too steep for me to climb on, so I’ll need to be able to just stand on my ladder and reach over about 10 feet (from my hand to the attic window siding, so, not counting the length of the sprayer).

Is this one on Amazon sufficient? It has plenty of great reviews and is only $200. If that one wouldn’t work for my needs, please recommend one.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm actually about to order the Generac 6596 2,800 PSI. It's $299 at Lowes but someone told me they saw it elsewhere for $250. It got good reviews and I lean more towards the Generac since a comparable troy bilt is a component assembly from different manufacturers

3. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I bought this one recently. If you scroll to the bottom, you can sign up for their email alerts and knock $10 off the price. Although this would probably do a pretty good job for what you're looking for, you may want to consider one that is at least 2000 PSI.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It's worth it to pay for more power. We've got a 1700 psi Green machine at the house that doesn't do much and a 2400 psi at the the family beach house that does.

Power washing is one of the most instantly gratifying things you can do!

5. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

So long as it's a Honda powered machine and it can do over 2000 psi and the pressure is adjustable, I'd buy any brand. My brother owns a pressure washing business and he won't touch a machine unless it's Honda powered. Every other brand he's tried fails, and he pushes around 8000 psi on average.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I second the Honda engine suggestion.

Check out the Ryobi pressure washers in the $300+ range at Home Depot. I think they may be the cheapest you can find with Honda engines.

And DEFINETLY DON'T buy an electric powered one.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

DO NOT buy an electric washer. They're cheap as hell and can't handle the PSI, and the pressure is wimpy as hell. I tried one and it developed leaks on day two.

Go for a gas-powered. You get what you pay for in this case.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Noted.

I'm guessing this will be the one I go with unless there's a reason to avoid Ryobi?

Ryobi 2800-PSI 2.3-GPM Honda Power Control Gas Pressure Washer

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-28...ontrol-Gas-Pressure-Washer-RY802800/205566052

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

No issues at all with Ryobi as a brand. Its the motor that is important... the Honda is a good one. I have a Honda-powered Craftsman mower that is starts on the first or at most second pull and and runs smoothly. Where the cheaper Craftsman deck is the weak part of my mower I'd guess there is no part of the Ryobi that is a significant compromise.

I'd buy it if I was in the market for one... in fact, after you buy it, can I borrow it? :grin:

10. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I'm thinking about buying a pressure washer but I'm wondering if I even need one. I'd use it to clean the sidewalks and patio etc. but I'm wondering how many times a year someone actually pulls their PW out to use it. Why not just hire someone with a PW to do the work?

I'd appreciate any input on this. Did you buy your washer and found you just didn't really need it all that much? Or were you glad you bought it and your house is clean and beautifully PW'd on the regular?

Deckard likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

12. Xerobull

As stated earlier in this thread, it’s immensely satisfying. You’ll find new things to clean. My wife, who is utterly addicted to pressure washing, just cleaned off some old cookie sheets, then our metal shed. Both look almost new now.

You’re going to pay someone $200+ to do your concrete. A decent pressure washer is $300/400. It pays for itself. And make sure it’s a Honda engine.

Deckard likes this.
  13. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

This is just what I was looking for! To be honest, I get so bored sitting in the house with my wonderful and beautiful miracles the wife and kids I think I will likely spend a lot of time with the pressure washer. I've learned that pulling weeds while listening to Cannibal Corpse is immensely satisfying so I suspect an afternoon listening to Tool while using my tool will bring me one step closer to understanding why my dad spent my entire childhood working in the garage during my childhood! Much thanks.

Deckard and Xerobull like this.
  14. Exiled

Exiled Member

Baking soda & vinegar with pressurized manual sprayer, I don't see the need to the cause tear in plastic sheeting underneath the siding or weaken fastners /seals with strong pressure washer

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Xerobull likes this.
  16. PhiSlammaJamma

Pre sure was her. Says d'em hose.

backwardhead likes this.
  17. Xerobull

18. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I would consider not buying one and renting a heavy duty one every few years. We rent one with the disk and knock out everything at our house in about 5 hours in a day. The concrete is so easy and fast when using the disk.

19. Buck Turgidson

I would also say that if you're going to buy a cordless battery thing, make sure you keep buying that same brand of cordless thing. Multiple batteries and multiple chargers, etc...

Ryobi is low pricewise, but I do not like their products, or I should say I did not like the one thing I bought from them 12 years ago. Total POS.

Pick a good brand (Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, etc...) and buy the stuff (drill, sawzall, grinder, circular saw, etc...) as you need it, it'll save you money in the end. When the sales go on they'll sell multi-tool packages for reasonably cheap.

#19 Buck Turgidson, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Speaking of which, Amazon has a 15" disc cleaner by karcher on sale for $40 right now.