1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Gm 2] Patriots @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 19, 2017.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Can't believe people complained about that 4th down run in the first quarter. Do you idiots realize it's pre-season? Would you have been happier with them practicing their close in field goals? I mean, obviously if it was a real game they would have kicked it. I assumed this was obvious to most. Good lord.

Fullcourt and macho GRANDE like this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

People are up in arms about white supremacists....

...meanwhile we got a black inferiorist on our hands. I hope you find peace man. That's some ****.

mick fry likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

We were angry because it was a worthless play. If it was a trick play, or a red zone passing play, or anything helpful for the future, nobody would have cared. It was a draw to no where.

#383 DreamShook, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Deserve its own thread

donkeypunch likes this.
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

The play call is what it was. Ellington was hot that drive. Had 3 catches for like 53 yards or something. Why not throw a fade to see what he can do instead of a run on 4th and 6?

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Shut up dude. This is a place that loves Hakeem, Harden and Moon.

If Watson can't hit the broadside of a barn that's on him.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't either, doesn't make sense. Some of the play calling reminds me of last year, not good.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

My post may have been a little harsh, lol.

macho GRANDE and DreamShook like this.
  9. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Do we need affirmative action to make up for the unfairness of it all? When a black quarterback throws it within 10 feet of the receiver but it isn't caught, should it be ruled a "catch" anyway? Please let us know, Reverend Al.

mick fry likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-houston-texans-27-new-england-patriots-23/

TOP 5 GRADES:
    Edge Ufomba Kamalu, 89.8 overall grade

Edge Tony Washington Jr., 85.4 overall grade

CB Denzel Rice, 82.1 overall grade

DI Matthew Godin, 81.4 overall grade

LB Brian Peters, 81.3 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
    WR Bruce Ellington, 76.8 overall grade
    Making the start despite being signed by the team just last week, Ellington had a nice debut in a Texans uniform. Texans quarterbacks had a 118.8 passer rating when targeting Ellington Saturday night, as he hauled in four of five targets for 93 yards; Ellington caught both of his targets for a total of 48 yards — including a superb catch along the sidelines — when he was being covered by Malcolm Butler.

QB Tom Savage, 72.0 overall grade
    Savage once again moved the ball effectively with the first-team offense as he connected on eight of his nine pass attempts. Savage was a perfect 3-for-3 when blitzed on Saturday night for a total of 20 yards and a touchdown.

Edge Ufomba Kamalu, 89.8 overall grade
    The game-ball selection for the game went to Kamalu after scoring a sack, three additional QB pressures, and a mighty healthy 12.5 pass-rushing productivity over 26 pass-rushing snaps. Kamalu would also collect three tackles (zero missed) in run defense that enabled him to cruise to the second-highest run-stop percentage (20.0) of preseason Week 3 at his position.

Edge Tony Washington Jr., 85.4 overall grade
    Washington didn’t quite match the overall grading of Kamalu, but made a valiant effort nonetheless. Washington did his damage on pass-rush snaps from the left edge, resulting in a sack, a QB hit and an additional pressure. For his efforts, Washington scored a 9.6 pass-rushing productivity that ranked him with the 20th-best such output from preseason Week 3 among 3-4 outside linebackers.

GAME BALL: UFOMBU KAMALU, EDGE, 89.8 OVERALL GRADE
    [​IMG]

*Grades subject to change upon review​

#390 J.R., Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    RasaqBoi and TheFreak like this.
  11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Watching first drive on nfl net, Ellington looks like a beast, Savage looks good and playcalling atrocious.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Savage against the Blitz is a good sign.

mick fry likes this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Yeah, seems like not much has changed there eh?

You know, I've said a couple times...kubiaks offense got so predictable but the structure and concept of it wasn't a secret. It just fell apart when the execution of it went south. Maybe that was a problem, fans sitting in the stands knew what was coming so would pro ballers...anyhow, the structure of this offense (of "our offense" as the eye roll inducing phrase O'Brien uses often goes) is so scattered I honestly can't tell what's going on. The concepts...I'm not sure what they are. It really is a hodgepodge under the guise of versatility. They run power games with a small OL that lacks nasty demeanors and a primary back who is best in space. TEs down the seam, like New England runs are rare. Quick outs and slants, New England runs like a subset of the running game. Using lineups to exploit matchups, we just don't do it and it seems like when there is a potential flaw to exploit the offense sits on the ball for the defense to adjust first. It's versatility somehow without variety. I dont know, I just find the scheme, the playcall as essentially flawed. Lacking.

There was a play where our new LB 51 Cole I think came up gimpy but stayed in the game, they went right after him two plays in a row. I was like damn, 2nd week of the preseason and Belichicks team is going ruthless mode on a backup rookie. And you know what? It worked.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

O'Brien has a few games to figure it out or Romeo may have no choice but to replace him.;)

Dankstronaut and Mr. Clutch like this.
  15. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s preseason - we play them during the season.. what type of playcalling do you want? Even OB said it was a 3rd practice together. My biggest worry is we need someone who can stop their backs out the backfield ... they kill us every year with that and we still haven’t addressed it.

Fullcourt likes this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

See, that's really more what I'm meaning... New England kills everyone with backs and slippery little white guys. It's not a secret. It's a scheme and it works and everyone knows it but nobody can stop it anyway. They run pick routes every play. They run quick slants like it's the running game, little 5 yard hitters that make life easier on everyone.

What do we do like that? Run deliriously ineffective draw plays half the time?

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  17. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are NE , the refs let them get away with pick / run plays it’s annoying ... we try and run them but you got to have the personal ... but until Texans get a fast safety or a really fast LB to spy on RBs and can actually run with them ...NE gonna burn us for 14 points a game just off that

18. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

I only come here to see if Bobby is trying to push his anti-watson agenda some more.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, is that what you think I'm doing by giving a fair and accurate analysis of both QB's?

20. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Ellington was huge.