1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Post here] Fantasy Football draft strategy - 'think tank'

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by what, Jul 21, 2012.

1. what

what Member

So, I'd like to start out with a few impressions leading up to draft day. This is by no means a manifesto, just a quick impressions of my knee jerk reactions.

Anybody that followed what I did last year knows that I am a proponent of "old school" drafting, that is that you should draft running backs early and often and should have at least 3 backs in the first 7 picks.

Last year, I did just that when I selected Shady McCoy and Ryan Mathews in rounds 1 & 3 and capped it off with Jonathan Stewart in round 7.

This year, I am still planning to take a running back in the 1st round, but unlike last year I am not so high on McCoy as I was last year. I think McCoy is going to go way too high and I also think that he is going to have a down year. Actually, I really don't see ANY BACK as being worthy of a HIGH top 3 draft pick.

I am not enamored with Foster, Rice, MJD (especially the fact that 2 out of the 3 are injury prone) and rice coming off 2 seasons of extensive carriers.

So I am inclined to actually propose that possibly the best position for the kind of draft I like is to take the last position in your draft's first round. Especially if you draft in a league that utilizes 3RR which means that 1-12, 12-1, 12-1.

And with those picks select say (RYAN MATHEWS 1st round) and 2 other high level bakcs (Jamal Charles, Mcfadden, Frank gore).

My strategy is not based on finding the workhorse back, but having a collection of #2s that you can interchange based on matchups.

I also think that Hulu needs to be taken pretty early your draft (maybe even as high as the 4th round)

2. what

what Member

What are some of you planning to do come draft day?

3. what

what Member

As draft day approaches, one thing you might want to consider are guys that for one reason or another did not perform up to their previous years drafting hype. One guy that comes to mind is Felix Jones. Last year he was being taken as high as round 3 & 4 on draft boards. This year if he slides to the middle of the 5th round you are getting value despite the emergence of Demarco Murray.

Last year Felix Jones had 3 100 yard games and 3 games of 5 catches or more. The year before when he notched 800 yards and 48 recps (450 yards) he only had 1 100 yard game and 2 games of 5 or more catches.

So while his totals were down, he was actually a more consistent performer when he was in the game last year. Just something to stew over.

Demarco Murray, by comparison, isn't nearly the pass-catching back Jones is and despite the hoopla about him his last 4 games he notched no 100 yard games in his last 4 games two of which where games that he had over 20 carries.

If you can get Felix Jones around 70ish to 80ish in the draft you stole a back that could be a solid #2.

4. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

5. what

what Member