1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Your outlook on gun violence in the US of A.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B-Bob, Oct 8, 2017.

?

Which one or more of the following describe(s) your position on next steps wrt gun violence?

1. Not much can be done. This is the price of true freedom in a country with violent tendencies.

2. Not much can be done. The solution is obvious but we'll never have the political will.

3. I think we should focus on handgun restrictions, despite scary mass shootings.

4. I'm for minor steps: better background checks, closing a few loopholes.

5. Major changes needed: Take the best-fit idea from another country and try it here.

6. I think we should focus on mental health in this country, and that would help a little.

7. Even if we made lots of new gun laws, they would not make much difference; bad people are bad.

8. False flags, I tell you. Fake dead people, black helicopters, and the deep state.

9. Other (explained in post below).

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Sure, California has lots of stupid and often meaningless restrictions on firearms. For example, you cannot have a centerfire rifle with a detachable magazine and any one of a list of other features including:
    (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    (B) A thumbhole stock.
    (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
    (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    (E) A flash suppressor.
    (F) A forward pistol grip.
    Does a forward pistol grip radically alter the use or purpose of a rifle? Does a thumbhole stock? Of course not. The idiot legislators looked at pictures of what they considered scary guns and then wrote down the features they saw on them. .50 BMG ammo was outlawed, but no other specific ammunition, including .300 WinMag, .338 Lupua, 12.7x108 NSA, etc. They don't know how to regulate based on capability, so they do it off of looks or whatever specific item they have heard about. AR-15s are not illegal (unless they run afoul of the above list) but those from certain manufacturers are. There is a roster of allowable handguns, but other nearly identical handguns are not allowed. Those are some of the particularly stupid things we could do away with for starters. Ultimately, I don't think we need much in the way of particular restrictions for law abiding citizens. Laws that make possession illegal for felons and the like are fine, but I am okay with generally a free for all beyond that. If you want a machine gun, go for it. One area that crosses over with cars that I wouldn't have much problem with is requiring liability insurance to use guns, the same as we do with cars.
    When was the last time you had a background check and a waiting period to buy alcohol? Cars yes, alcohol no. Interestingly, a good bit of the regulation of cars is about tax money, not safety though.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I can't tell you how often I, a California resident, have pined for a... grenade launcher. But nooooo. Stupid government regulations in my way.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

B-Bob likes this.