1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Your outlook on gun violence in the US of A.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B-Bob, Oct 8, 2017.

?

Which one or more of the following describe(s) your position on next steps wrt gun violence?

1. Not much can be done. This is the price of true freedom in a country with violent tendencies.

2. Not much can be done. The solution is obvious but we'll never have the political will.

3. I think we should focus on handgun restrictions, despite scary mass shootings.

4. I'm for minor steps: better background checks, closing a few loopholes.

5. Major changes needed: Take the best-fit idea from another country and try it here.

6. I think we should focus on mental health in this country, and that would help a little.

7. Even if we made lots of new gun laws, they would not make much difference; bad people are bad.

8. False flags, I tell you. Fake dead people, black helicopters, and the deep state.

9. Other (explained in post below).

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nigel Thornberry

Lame

London'sBurning likes this.
  2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

This is the only way we could really solve the issue, or at least severely reduce it...as long as firearms are legal there will always be a work around to get whatever and however much firepower someone wants to get their hands on. Sadly this won’t happen in our lifetime, hell, probably several lifetimes. Sucks.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i take issue with your poll choices so as of know i refuse to vote. specifically, "False flags, I tell you. Fake dead people, black helicopters, and the deep state." A False Flag has nothing to do with fake dead people and False Flags can have very real dead people. The falseness is the alleged perpetrators being those that did not actually plan or execute the event.

Reichstag Fire, very real execution and arrests for many. Iran Coup, hundreds of deaths. Operation Northwoods would have had very real victims.

Fix your poll and I will participate.

4. AvocadosToast

AvocadosToast Member

Yeah 100% ban on every ****ing firearm...

Next thing you know you people will be clamoring for a ban on avocados. What an f-ing joke.

London'sBurning and ipaman like this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm someone else who wishes to to add to, or change, some of the poll options, B-Bob. It would be nice if something along the lines of, "I'm for significant changes in the nations gun laws," without adding the word "major," which could be debatable. I thought my suggestions were "major," but others would probably say they don't go far enough. And "taking the best fit from another country and applying it here," is a non-starter in the States. Knowing this country, my opinion is we'll never pass gun laws that simply apply another country's gun laws wholesale. It isn't the "American way!" ;)

6. AvocadosToast

AvocadosToast Member

Hawt take.

7. ipaman

Hmm... Joined Wednesday and the hangout thread. @Nigel Thornberry is that you or is this a Russian hacker?

idk..., i smell a stinky sock.

8. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

Pun intended?!

B-Bob and Nigel Thornberry like this.
  9. Nigel Thornberry

Dude wtf, don’t accuse me of being someone else.

10. AvocadosToast

AvocadosToast Member

Not even sure what you mean...? Alright

[​IMG]

ipaman and London'sBurning like this.
  11. ipaman

i said you OR the russians so don't get your panties in a bunch. unless you're russian?

12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

How about a tax on transfers that funds the free mental health option in a Medicare for All scheme (which would also cover anyone that gets injured). I don't think you'll get a major change in status quo on firearm laws in the US, but for all of those Republican legislators that consider mass shooting a mental health issue -- give them an opportunity to put their (taxpayers') money where their mouth is.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The US is 94th in homicide rate worldwide, at less than 5 per 100,000 per year. A large percentage of those homicides are criminals killing other criminals. The gun laws are too restrictive as is, and huge mass shooting events, while tragic, account for a tiny percentage of overall murders so they should not form the basis of policy changes. Mandating ignition interlock devices on all vehicles (and thus virtually eliminating drunk driving) would probably save more lives than any gun control laws that will be passed. In fact, there are more alcohol related traffic fatalities than gun homicides in the US each year.

FranchiseBlade and AvocadosToast like this.
  14. ipaman

I vote for don't let bad guys get guns. I think that would work don't you think?

15. Granville

Granville Member

More funding for mental health has been lacking for some time. Ask any parent of an Autistic child how much insurance and government programs offer for their loved ones.

I agree with the points that you have made. The time for the NRA ****-blocking every attempt to pass gun control legislation needs to end because it leads to devices like bump stocks popping up. The manufacturer and distributors of those devices damn well know they are used to circumvent current laws.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The media gives what the public wants. And with a mass shooting like this, the public wants to know badly. People are going to find out simply as part of the investigation. If the media doesn't identify the suspect instead you will have rampant rumors and misinformation. It's simply not possible to keep these people from getting the fame they so desire outside of making it harder for them to do the deed in the first place.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm curious but could you elaborate on why you think gun laws are too restrictive as is? What restrictions would you like to see lifted?

As far alcohol related traffic fatalities as has been pointed out many times we regulate alcohol and automobiles far more than we do firearms.

Deckard likes this.
  18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Well, we banned illegal drugs and that really solved the problem of illegal drug usage in America. Am I doing this right?

There are over 300 million guns in America. They aren't going anywhere and it's impossible to get rid of them.

Mental health + stop the media coverage would be a good start. Those bump stock things shouldn't be legal, either.

cml750 and ApolloRLB like this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Guns cause tremendous negative externalities on society.

Use economics and the magic of markets. We like to talk a good game about markets but we are terrible about using them.

Require gun owners to carry insurance to support their hobby.

They should bear the costs that the rest of us otherwise bear in their stead.

We can do this. It's not hard. Tax and regulate guns to allocate their true cost on parties who ate willing to bear them.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

just LOL. You literally can't make this up. When presented with a tough challenge, a good liberal's response is: MORE TAXES!

Just dumb.

cml750 and Space Ghost like this.