1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Poll: Do you like the Clint Capela-Robert Covington trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Feb 5, 2020.

?

Are you a fan of this trade?

1. Yes

341 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. No

253 vote(s)
    42.6%
  1. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Roco statistics seems dropping, He should score 10 plus point per game

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's clearly not confident from 3 these days, he better lock that up before the playoffs.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I miss an above the rim threat and rebound monster. Harden excels even more with that type of player next to him. Jeff Green is nice, but cmon.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Predictably forgot how to shoot. :D
    31%

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tell that to BMac and Jeff Green. They are both shooting way over their career averages.

Same with Rivers.

Harden, PJ and RoCo will bounce back.

Batman Jones likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If only Covington was 25.

You have to balance out the team in terms of age.

Some time very soon.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Why?

Harden does not need youth, he needs vets - players that can play right now.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

While I was a Capela fan, especially during Harden-CP3 heyday, it looks like he was being shopped way before the Covington trade.

Clint was part of package to acquire Jimmy Butler and then later when Morey wanted trade him for FRP so he could draft Brandon Clarke.

Clarke is essentially a younger Green clone.

This was waaaaaaay before MDA decided to maximize Russ as small ball 5.

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'd still do it every day of the week. I loved having Capela but it didn't maximize Westbook's abilities, which is needed in the short term. And Capela made it impossible for Morey/D'Antoni to once again to reinvent the way the game is played, making the Rockets the most interesting team in the league and one that a lot of teams, including ones with traditional big men, don't want to face.

RoCo will recover. Some players have thrived in the bubble, and the time off, and some are still adjusting.

Let's not forget that early small ball success owed a lot to RoCo's insane blocks, all-around defense, and yes being a shooting threat. And also to opening the floor for Westbrook, among the most valuable results of the trade.

I understand that it's common here for posters to swing wildly in their estimation of a player from one game to the next, but this is only reactionary to RoCo's shot being off after a 4-month layoff and Russ being hurt. Those are extra-normal circumstances: anyone can get injured and anyone can go cold from 3, especially after so much time off.

I was for the trade initially and my approval of it has only grown since he got here. ushering in the new age of small ball.

11. Batman Jones

But to take the other side of it...

It was a trade made to maximize a short window in which Harden/Westbrook are still able to play at a very high level.

It favored now over later, so it doesn't look so great when we have a hurt Westbrook and a Covington that's in a shooting slump.

To win this year, Westbrook needs to get healthy and, yes, Covington needs to shoot better. I have faith the second thing will happen if the first doesn't. But since RoCo is there to open the lane for Westbrook, who's having his best year in so many ways as a result of small ball, we kind of need both things to happen.

We've been unlucky wrt Russ and RoCo in the bubble and we're going to need a little luck in each area to be competitive this year.

D-rock and fckbandwagons like this.
  12. Batman Jones

Let us not forget how great Covington has been for us when he's been on his game.

https://www.totalprosports.com/2020...-averaging-3-75-blocks-over-the-past-4-games/

Which other player has been drug tested for having too many blocks? Or for performing extremely well under any circumstances? I'm not saying it hasn't happened, only that I can't remember the last time it has.

This sounded like an Onion article when I first read it. It sounded like a joke, but it wasn't. The idea it was a "random" drug test was the real joke. He played so well for us that the league thought his play must have been drug-induced. That's a big-ass wow that fans here have forgotten all too soon.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Cp3's 20 pts def helped OKC tonight LMAO. The point is volume DOES matter. Efficiency also matters a lot, but there has to be a balance between efficiency and volume esp when you are making 40M a year.

WB's efficiency when he stops taking 3s isnt that bad. It's not amazing but its not horrible when you consider his volume. If he isnt there then that workload he takes off comes back to Harden. WB being there to score 25-30 pts is more relevant than Cp3's 20 ppg. You saw this tonight clear as day.

Your argument that Harden works harder now isnt due to Cp3, its due to missing Capela. If the Rockets get a 3 pt shooting C like Brook Lopez or Christian Wood then guess what, no more intense workload on D.

#333 roslolian, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

You can bet hes not happy, rather be right than win.

Smh

roslolian likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Capela is injured, you guys can talk about Rocos stats dropping but guess what it doesnt matter cuz at least RoCo can play.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

This is funny af. Dude is trying to come out the wood works after game 1. Time is the trophy presentation.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

I’m pretty happy. especially when I cashed in on the pick em but keep doing you

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Being me is great. Being wrong and negative is YOUR gig.

LOL

But feel free to gather your friends again to try your BS online intimidation. Hell, start another poll.

LOL

roslolian likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

As long as I’m rolling in money. I’m good af

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Capela has plantar fascitis. That's a chronic condition and pretty ominous for a player with 0 range and totally dependent on dunks and layups.

Young put up monster stats but he did it in the East. There are only 4 good teams in the East rest are trash Orlando is the freaking 8th seed for crying out loud so apart from those 4 teams Young gets to pump up his stats on weak ass teams 3x a season, you can see this cuz despite all his stats Atl is still a doormat. Curry put up his stats in the West big difference between the two. Another diff is Curry actually has some height for thr pg spot so while he was below average on D he isnt abysmal like Young. Just the fact that Atl couldve had Doncic but actually let him go for Young makes this move a stinker.

13 pts in the East as a top 4 pick is a bust. Atl traded up for him they took a bad contract, down graded their 2019 2nd round pick and traded 3 first rounders for him (8, 15, 2020 1st). You consider what Atl gave up and what they got Hunter is def a bust. If there was a redraft would Hunter even make the lotto? I dont think so.

D-rock likes this.