1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Points per possession

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ross84, Feb 27, 2010.

1. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Field goal percentage IMO is misleading. For example, if you look at Kevin Martin’s FG%, he seems inefficient in scoring. His fouls drawn make up for the missed shots. I came up with a very basic formula to calculate points per position. Yes there are many holes to the formula but I’m not a Google badass so I couldn’t find some stats of what I needed. Please feel free to correct it and add input. Maybe we can all come up with something that really makes sense. How cool would it be to have our very own effective clutch fans formula!!

Here is my explanation of the formula.

Points/position possession = Total points scored/(shots +TO – steals – charges – Blocks*(% of blocks leading to turnovers)-offensive rebounds).

I’m neglecting defensive rebounds (not a true possession added since this should be achieved by default).

Also, there is no way of factoring in good defense. (shots that were changed or misses because of defensive pressure). But I think that at least the trend between players will be the same since typically the more blocked shots the better the defense is for that player.

I’m also neglecting charges just because of the fact that I couldn’t find any 2009-2010 data for these stats. But if anyone can find it, it will make the equation much better.

For blocked shots, I had no stat for blocked shots leading to an opponent turn over. I estimated that a blocked shot will lead to a turnover 1/3 of the time. I did this since many blocked shots lead to an out of bounds. But if this is a baseless assumption please put your input.

Also, if a rockets player gets his shot blocked and this leads to a turnover, is this included in the TO stat?

So basically shots and turnovers are possessions used and steals, charges, offensive rebounds, and blocked shots leading to an opponent’s turnover are possessions gained to the rockets.

The following is what I got for points per position.

Player Pts/Poss.
    Jared Jeffries 3.34
    Chuck Hayes 1.95
    Kyle Lowry 1.84
    Shane Battier 1.49
    Chase Budinger 1.36
    Luis Scola 1.31
    Kevin Martin 1.22
    David Andersen 1.22
    Trevor Ariza 1.17
    Aaron Brooks 1.12

As the season goes on, I'm sure that the new players' stats will change significantly. If you guys like me to, I could update this as the season goes on.

1 person likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

3. YaosDirtyStache

First flaw I see there is that JJ is almost double the PpP than anyone else that alone should be an indicator something is wrong!

4. ross84

I think that is points per possession used for the entire team. That doesn't say much. It is heavily dominated by how many shots a player takes. It is completely misleading in regards to player efficiency.

5. durvasa

If you are referring to my post, you are incorrect.

6. ross84

Well, he has only played 4 games (small sample). Don't just say its a flaw by the results. Use some critical thinking and tell me why by the equation...

7. ross84

How did they get their numbers? I'm a little curious.

8. durvasa

It is somewhat complicated, and I don't have the book that explains it all with me. Here is a high level summary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offensive_rating

9. ross84

For players, the formula is: Offensive Rating = (Points Produced / Individual Possessions) x 100

Points can be produced through field goals, free throws, assists, and offensive rebounds. Individual possessions are the sum of a player's scoring possessions (field goals, free throws, plus partial credit for assists), missed field goals and free throws that the defense rebounds, and turnovers.

Thats interesting. They gave the player points produced with offensive rebounds. I gave the player a possession earned. But I failed to include assists since there is no real way of knowing how many points to include. Maybe a trend between team assists per game and team points per game will give a correlation between the two and a value can be deduced by that?? But I have to disagree on how they used Offensive rebounds and them not including blocked shots.

10. durvasa

Regarding your formula, I have a few comments:

"Efficiency" at the team level is straightforward to express -- points scored per team possessions. At the individual level, a player can contribute to points scored in ways other than just putting the ball in the basket. And what does a "player possession" mean? Suppose we have 5 players on the floor that collectively participate in 100 offensive possessions. It stands to reason that a "player possession" should be defined in such a way that the sum of each of the 5 player's possessions add up to 100. I don't think that happens with your formula.

Also, stats for charges can be found at hoopdata.com.

11. ross84

Actually my formula would add up to total ADDED possessions are equal to the sum of other ADDED positions. If I included defensive rebounds then the TOTAL=THE SUME. The offensive rating the you linked to me does not. Just by the fact that the offensive rebounds are not included in total possession and added points. How else can you get a possesion other than OR, blocks, Steals, Charges or lose by TO?

12. durvasa

When you say "add possessions", what does that really mean?

A charge or blocked shot or steal can contribute to a defensive stop. Just as a missed shot and defensive rebound contributes to a defensive stop.

Possessions aren't really "added"; they simply end and switch to the other team. Now, there is some offensive value in getting a stop, but it is more of a secondary effect (e.g. getting a steal will give your team a better transition opportunity).

Offensive rebounds have value because they create additional scoring opportunities by extending the possession.

Taking a closer look at your formula, what would happen if a player scored 10 points on 5 shots, and he had 6 steals?

It would come to: 10 / (5-6) = -10.

Not sure how to interpret that as an efficiency stat.

13. ross84

By that missed shot the rockets would have received a possession by giving away a possession, regardless if the other team made it or not. By them not giving them a shot, that is an extra possession that the rockets received by taking it away from the other team.

I like the way you think. I also had that in mind when I made this thread. IMO that means that his points came from his added position and not the team position. This would mean that he made 10 pts and added an extra possession to the team that otherwise would never of gotten if he didn't make those 6 steals. Where is that player, I'm sure morey would love to sign him!!

14. ross84

For sure charges a rockets player has taken and a correlation for assists can be added. Even maybe fouls that a rocket player has committed can be some how added to a possession? HTown57 had some interesting statistics. It could be somewhere around like line of (average pts per possession w/foul)-average pts per position w/o foul)*(average number of fouls a player makes per game). And this could be subtracted from the players average points per game.

15. durvasa

I don't really follow that. The Rockets are going to get the ball back in any case. Where is an extra possession being generated?

It sounds like you're saying a defensive stop should be treated as effectively an extra possession. Maybe what you are looking for is an efficiency stat that takes into account both offensive efficiency (points produced given the portion of the team possessions used) and defensive efficiency (points allowed given the portion of defensive team possessions responsible for). For something like that, maybe ORTG - DRTG is what you're after. For the Rockets, I get the following:

Player              MP      ORtg    DRtg   NetEff
    Carl Landry         1415    120     107    +13
    Kyle Lowry          1186    114     107    +7
    Shane Battier       1889    113     107    +6
    Pops Mensah-Bonsu   13      98      95     +3
    Luis Scola          1724    107     105    +2
    Chuck Hayes         1209    103     103     0
    Chase Budinger      982     107     108    -1
    Jared Jeffries      59      105     106    -1
    Joey Dorsey         54      101     102    -1
    Aaron Brooks        2048    107     111    -4
    David Andersen      815     103     107    -4
    Kevin Martin        145     103     108    -5
    Tracy McGrady       46      102     109    -7
    Trevor Ariza        1997    97      106    -9
    Jermaine Taylor     105     97      111    -14
    Garrett Temple      82      80      106    -26
    Hilton Armstrong    7       75      110    -35
    Brian Cook          44      72      107    -35
    Mike Harris         12      64      107    -43
    Will Conroy         20      49      112    -63
    Jordan Hill         2       0       115    -115

16. ross84

17. durvasa

Or they could have hit more threes or freethrows.

How are you defining a possession?

18. ross84

My point exactly. Those freethrowns and three's are included in the points. Even if a player misses but gets fouled and hits his free throws then he made 2 pts per that possession that he used (Field Goald Attempt).

I'm defining position as a shot (Field goal attempt) or a turnover (that that individual player has made), simple as that. I am defining a possession added as a steal, block shot*(1/3), charge, or an offensive rebound.

19. blink

blink Contributing Member

Seems like a statistical way of being in denial about kmarts poor shooting. You can make any player look great if you mess around with variables/numbers enough.

20. ross84

No dude, its comman sense. If a player shoots 10 times and makes none of them but gets fouled every time, that is efficient. Especially if he's 80% shooting. Thats a total of 16 points in 10 shots. Thats exactly the same as making 8 of 10 two points shots. Both lead to 16 pts...