1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff tie/go ahead shots in last 24 sec taken by MVP’s in last 20 years...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 19, 2020.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Probably a game which we won in OT

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

jordan is probably good no matter what, but it is definitely hilarious that he just happens to have 2 shots right at the 25 second cut-off. also, sort those games by date from your link. in the last 9 games on the list, NEITHER TEAM scores 90 points in any of the games. that is almost impossible, even for the late 90's. it may not even necessarily be efficiency. the games were just so unbelievably slow-paced.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I know.

Actually watching those Bulls Jazz brickmanji fests live was torture. Maybe even tortious.

That's why it used to burn me up that the Rockets Knicks 94 was treated as the NBAs stylistic nadir.

I mean those games sucked compared to today but....it was about to get way way worse.

I forget the poster but I remember having spirited arguments here about how the jazz bulls 80 point eye gougers were better than any Rockets games because of the "awesome picking of Jeff Hornacek". I mean for ****s sake.

My conception of the Jazz was that the 94 and 95 jazz that lost to the Rockets were way more fearsome than the older 98 variant. But could be just homerism.

4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

You clearly are not a fan of Harden or the Rockets in general, which is fine...

Look man, let me try and help you out. First of all this reasoning is completely illegitimate. If you have the stats to back you up, then please do it. I would try and explain that even if you moved it out to 30 seconds that not every player would have the same amount of attempts (so the stats wouldn't even be remotely equalized), but then I realized I don't teach advanced calculus to kindergartners.

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i swear i think i remember those too. i think the average score for rockets/knicks was like 88-88 and one of the bulls/jazz series was 88-80. granted, that's because the jazz scored an incomprehensible 54 or 56 points in one game, but give or take that bad game, they weren't playing beautiful basketball.

what's crazy is how far down it actually went into the early 2000's. someone on twitter posted a hilarious 78-56 box score from a detroit/new jersey playoff game.

when tayshaun prince blocked reggie miller, the score of that game was 69-67. granted, it might be the greatest defensive game of all-time (at least how i remember it), but that is a crazy score for a game with at least some reasonable offensive talent.

6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Part of Harden's (and Westbrook's) problem is that they tend to force unreal shots late in games. Neither are especially clutch, but they are fantastic, and I'm quite happy to have them.

7. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The pippen continuation bucket against pacers Antonio Davis with under two minutes left in game 7 in 1998 ecf.

The pippen layup against Antonio Davis was huge because got the bucket and free throw, and Antonio Davis fouled out of the game.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why 24 seconds?

9. Red Nation RGV

Probably has to do with 24 second shot clock and final possession situations

10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

This is why sample sizes matter kids.

You're talking about 12 shots... Most of which are years old (I think the SA game six was a turning point for Harden). And more importantly, friggin seven of them were from the same damn Portland series in 2014, which was all around probably Harden's worst playoff series as a Rocket.

francis 4 prez likes this.