1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Playing a game in Cowboy stadium?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Knightrogen, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Is NBA ever going to host neutral games within US?

If Lakers, Heat, Knicks and Rockets are going to play in a tournament games against each other on New Year's eve, can Cowboy stadium host such an event?

So a 3 team schedule can allow big market fans to travel. If Rockets is indeed playing such an event, heck, I will travel from Alaska.

2. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Not in one day, but for a duration of 4 days or something.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't understand.

NBA teams don't play mini tournaments mid-season.

4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Yeah, what mini-tournament? Why would the NBA do that? That's what the Playoffs are for.

Besides, I wouldn't go to Dallas for anything. If they host it at the Astrodome, I'm all lin.

5. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Not just mini tournament but neutral games in US

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Make sure you wear a mask so you don't breathe that crap in the dome

7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

If they're playing a neutral game they obviously wouldn't play it in an NBA city. The Boston Celtics played certain games in the 80s in Connecticut, that's a neutral venue. Atlanta, also in the 80s, played a couple of games in New Orleans (before the Hornets/Pelics of course). Even Houston played a few games in San Antonio before the Spurs moved there.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

personally, i HATE when basketball games are played in football stadiums. I've gone for NCAA games...it just doesnt make sense. The court is too small, so you really dont get that good of a view.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I proposed this awhile ago, I thought it was a unique idea but word is, the home teams would be giving up a full game of revenue!

I thought that all of the home teams could split the revenue in such an event but they said it doesn't work that way.

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I thought it would be good for XMAS weekend. With the draw of the top 8 teams, i.e Heat vs Pacers, Rockets vs Spurs, GSW vs. Lakers, and Knicks vs. Boston or Brooklyn. It would be like All-Star weekend

12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

That's why we have all star weekend.

13. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I think what he's trying to say is several teams coming to one place to play all in one venue, kid of like what the NBA did in the Astrodome back in the late 60s when we didn't have our beloved Rockets yet (oddly enough one of those teams playing here were the San Diego Rockets, but maybe not so oddly enough because the Big E was on the team).

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Do you mean mini tournaments like the ones they have in soccer?

That'd be interesting but the players play 82 games in a season, it's a lot. It'd be easier if the rest world's leagues wouldn't completely suck.