1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Player Development

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is it possible for the Rockets to simply improve the players they have?
    What is needed to make that happen?

I thinke Clark and Harty have some upside
    and
    Capela can improve.

Any reason they cannot?

Rocket River

2. tc0330

tc0330 Member

itd be one thing if our core was in their early or mid 20s but theyre not. theyre already in their 30s. play development is pretty much out the window.

Riz likes this.
  3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Loan 'em out to the Spurs for a year and see what happens.

dkim1984, Riz, snowconeman22 and 4 others like this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I mean, i just hope Mike starts playing them more next season, assuming they'll still be here.

whiskeyred likes this.
  5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Might be way they’re bringing in new assistants. Try something new.

Capela is only 25, Harty is young, Clark is young...they can all get better. Love for Harty to be a viable backup at the 5 next year and for Clark to turn into another PJ Tucker.

6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Need a new coach and or owner...

PeterKingX likes this.
  7. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

If Capela can guard GSW's p&r like Gasol was guarding it in Game 1, I'd be all for it. But I doubt that.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't know if the Rockets or the fans have the patience for that when you read every publication and TV show saying the window is closed for the Rockets and Harden and CP3 are getting older. Plus, you got MDA who is allergic to young players.

It would be nice to see some player development. Just play Hart, Clark, that one dude that was just signed from the Vipers, and House* until they get guud.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. BreakYoSelfFool

I have given up on Capela improvement. It seems like he may be at or very near his peak. He has solid starter production and could have a long and productive career but I don't think he will get pass solid starting big man level. He hasn't shown many skills or basketball IQ improvements in his career. Of all the things he has needed to work on since he came in the league (finishing strong at the rim, free throws, boxing out, rebounding, defensive positioning and rotations, passing, ball handling, jump shooting, free throws, creating his own shot, ball handling, strength, moving without the ball, and pick and roll awareness) only his strength and free throw shooting seem to have improved.
    He still seems to be lost at times on offense and defense. His 2 man game with Harden basically relies on Harden force feeding him buckets and not him being able to read and take advantage of defenses. He does not have any go to move in 5 years.

I brought up many of the same questions and more not too long ago; my thoughts on the issue below:

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

@Rocket River I appreciate your positive thinking and I hope your vision comes true. Clark has the body type to be a super effective defender and spot up shooter. It'd be nice to see that happen.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Which one of our drafted players are in their 30's? Capela is the oldest in his mid-20's isn't he?

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't see why they cant improve …. Clark has potential thru the roof as a 3/D guy. He just needs to get in the gym and shoot 3's all day every day. Defensively he's pretty good and can be better just playing.

Hartenstein …. there's a lot to like too , would like to see him be …. nasty.

Capela probably has the least growth left of the group but he can get better too - its the little details he needs to work on in the film room.

Rocket River likes this.
  13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I repeat people....yall wasting time on Isiah.

Dude wont ever be anything in the NBA. Just too soft n plays like A chicken with his head cut off...very demo-ish. Dont like him he a 7 footer that plays so.small. I hate his stance hunched over...yikes. my pet pev is big men who dont even know how to use thier size. What a waste of genes

14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Player Development?

MDA doesnt know what it is, same as timeout.

15. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

N I'm just not high on Clark either. He just doesn't stick out. Not super lanky, not quick, cant shot elite. Slow feet I just dont see it...his ceiling is battier maybe...but even that us asking alot cause it took time from Shane to be the player he was. Man had super super high IQ to over come his physical liabilities.

PeterKingX likes this.
  16. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Really clint is the only one I see that can get better to a point to where it matters.

Just the ability to post up a small just on switches would be big

The ability to catch at the top of the key and get to the rim or make the right pass(ala Draymond green) would be big. I really want flintCto study Draymond n take what he does...Draymond cant shot but changes th3 game. I believe Clint could learn that

Those are reasonable thing that if Clint added those ,he would be a allstar

17. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

I’d like to see Hart get some more post up opps. Not many highlights, but the guy looks like he’s a decent passer. Maybe he could be a post option with dimes in his pocket to rely less on iso ball. This would require him to establish a post game, and idk what he’s got going on there really.

I would also like to see him play twin towers with Cap. Keep Cap on the low block, and have Hart on the other for a high-low situation.

18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I dont blame Clint for his pnr defense. That's on scheme. Gasol has what 3 other guys with length on his team to cover. When Clint had ariza a tall guy. Defense was elite. Clint the only guy over 6 6 lmao. We asking too much

19. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

People said Capela was the best fit center for us in Capela contract year, because he was quick enough to defend Warriors.

After watching Marc Gasol in finals, I know that is completely BS.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think we need an Extra staff just for Players Development.