1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Planning to see "Watcher"?................Don't.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Gascon, Sep 11, 2000.

1. Gascon

Gascon Member

What tripe.

Keanu was as lifeless as you might expect. This, in itself, is not surprising. Casting him as a deranged, brilliant serial killer is going to have all of the problems that you might anticipate. However, Spader's performance as the burned out, drug-addicted agent unwillingly tied up in the whole affair is surprisingly lifeless as well. Tomei is appallingly bad as the psychiatrist who falls for Spader and unwittingly puts herself into the middle of the "dramatic conflict." This script, overall, lacks a certain amount of fire...although the movie, to a laughable extreme, certainly doesn't...and ends in a pathetically anti-climactic farce that leaves you wondering why you thought it might, at least, be good for a chuckle.

------------------
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.

No, wait, not me...you.

[This message has been edited by Gascon (edited September 11, 2000).]

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Geez, why do people hire Reeves to star in movies?

Okay, he fit in well in Bill and Ted, but come on! There are much better actors than him.

Duh!

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

3. dc sports

dc sports Member

I didn't think it was too bad, but it wasn't too great either.

The storyline itself was interesting -- and the best thing about the movie.

The horrible thing about this movie was the directing -- it and the camera work were just awful. The directing and flipping from scene to scene ruined an otherwise good plot.

As far as the camera work -- I'm sure they were trying to get a mysterious, dark, effect by all of the grainy scenes, crazy angles, and spinning the camera around, but it just gave me a headache. A lot of the shots were bad -- kind of like the Blair Witch Project -- but less in focus. Once or twice might have been OK -- but they just did it too much.

Spader I thought was good -- but suffered from the bad directing. I agree with Crisco Kid about Reeves -- he's just not a very good actor, and certainly not threatening. This was not a good role for him. Gascon, just so the right actress gets the credit for this train wreck -- it was Marisa Tomei (Not Sorvino). I agree, she came off badly as well.

------------------
    Stay Cool... [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited September 11, 2000).]

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

There have only been two movies that were not ruined by Keeanu Reeves inability to act, "Point Break" and "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure"

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was that he was cast in the movie "Bram Stoker's Dracula". Ever since that hideous performance I have refused to see any movie with Reeves in it. Unfortunately, I really wanted to see that new movie with Gene Hackman about the NFL scab team, but I stand by my principles and will not let myself do it.

Well, I did see "The Matrix", but that was against my will. My wife dragged me to that one. I did enjoy that movie, somewhat (It wasn't that good). But, if was definitely in spite of Reeves not due to him.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

5. dc sports

dc sports Member

DREAMer,

If it makes you feel better, Reeves doesn't really have that major a role in the Replacements -- it was actually a pretty good movie. No risk of winning any accademy awards, but it's fun and makes you feel good.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

6. outlaw

outlaw Member

Go rent "My Own Private Idaho", "River's Edge" and "Permanent Record", 3 of his earlier films. Keanu was very good in them.

I haven't seen Watcher but I know Keanu was originally only supposed to have a very minor role (he was paid scale) and the director, a former friend of his, beefed up Keanu's role without his consent. He would have backed out of it but was afraid of being sued.

7. Gascon

Gascon Member

If that's the case, than my heart goes out to Keanu. He was definitely out of his element.

I haven't seen the films you mentioned but, as I said, he is good for certain types of roles.

------------------

No, wait, not me...you.

8. Gascon

Gascon Member

Thanks for the correction, dc. I get their names mixed up constantly. Sorvino is the one that kicked ass in "Replacement Killers", Tomei is the one that sucked in "Watcher". Okay, I think I've got it now. [​IMG]

That Tomei ever won the Oscar is a joke. But, hey, if Kim Basinger and Helen Hunt can win it(in the same year, mind you!), anyone can.

Reeves is, once again, bad. He is perfect for things like Bill and Ted's, Parenthood, Speed, etc. I am constantly amazed that he finds his way into movies like "Dangerous Liasons" and "Much Ado About Nothing", in both of which he was excruciatingly dismal.

Buy, hey, he's pretty. Women love to watch him. And, to tell the absolute truth, I've heard tell that he is fun to work with and that he works very hard. That being said, I go into a Reeves movie kind of rooting for him to show signs of improvement. And I think in "Watcher" he actually did. He was still lifeless and passive, but he did achieve a certain kind of creepy quality. I agree with some of the comments about the direction in that I think they were trying to compensate for the lifeless performances by trying to give the film a "seedy" look. I've always liked Spader and usually find him interesting. Not so in this one.

------------------

No, wait, not me...you.

9. Gascon

Gascon Member

DREAMer,

I agree, he was awful in Dracula. Again, painfully bad. How he made it into that one is anyone's guess.

However, I thought he was passable in "The Matrix". Admittedly, there are a couple of moments that I have to clinch my teeth and ride out every time I watch the movie. But other than that, I don't think he necessarily detracted from the film. The movie still managed to kick ass. Hugo Weaving is the man. [​IMG]

------------------

No, wait, not me...you.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

He is as good an actor as he is a musician.

Translated: Both his acting and music stink.

Have you heard his band's record? It's a poor grunge imitation, about 9 years too late.

------------------
    I am the b*stard son of LHutz.

Huh?

Right!

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I thought Reeves was perfect in the Matrix. He had that youthful naivity needed to make the movie believable. I couldn't see a Brad Pitt (who is a better actor) play this role.

------------------
    "The road to hell is paved with Republicans." :)

12. Gascon

Gascon Member

I agree, gr8-1, he was very good for the role.

I don't know about perfect.........

------------------

No, wait, not me...you.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In the review of The Replacements it was written that (I am paraphrasing here) "...Once again, Keannu seemed surprised that he was in a movie...".

------------------

14. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Reeves is just about the worst actor in Hollywood that gets lead parts.

I wanted to puke watching the Matrix and that blank stare he always gave to the camera. "Am I the one?" I wanted to yell "Yea, you dumbass, yea!"

He sucks.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

15. Gascon

Gascon Member

Almu,

You didn't think it worked for the part at all?

Gascon

------------------

No, wait, not me...you.

16. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Keannu has been in some good movies, but his intelligence (or lack thereof) makes LHutz seem like Plato. He is the protypical surfer-dude.

I'm almost ashamed he's Canadian. [​IMG]

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.
    http://www.clutchtown.com

17. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Nope...

I went to the actual screening of the movie and I saw at least 50 percent of the audience gone by the time he finally found out he was the "one". I was absolutely SHOCKED the Matrix made the money it did. Then, after it came out on DVD, I rented it and I liked it a little more. Then, I rented it again, and I liked it even more. Thinking now on it, Reeves was average. But, to be a star that big, he really is not a good actor at all.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

18. Gascon

Gascon Member

No, Almu, he's not.

Lawrence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving made that movie. They kick ass.

------------------

No, wait, not me...you.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Oh my God, was this movie ever horrible.

Just plain stupid.

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com