1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pizza left out overnight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, Aug 9, 2020.

?

Do you leave out takeout pizza overnight?

1. Yes

37.2%
  2. No

62.8%
  1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I usually put it in the fridge if only to maintain texture. But I'll still eat it if I happened to leave it out. I've never gotten sick from food in my life.

In Italy the pizza sits out all day long and its fine.

RedRedemption likes this.
  2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Should be fine. Most people have their homes below 74 degrees so it's not super hot anyways. I've left orange juice overnight in my car outdoors and it still was good the next day. That being said, I haven't had any foodborne illness in over 15 years

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

As a note, despite all the unsafe food practices that I.. practice. The only time I've ever gotten food poisoning was from a restaurant in Colorado.

4. Buck Turgidson

You've seen a pizza by the slice place in NYC or wherever? Some of that stuff sits under a heat lamp for hours.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What works fine for some people most of the time doesn’t work for all people all of the time. These recommendations are made because people get really sick and some die.

If health recommendations made by scientist and doctors are a joke to you so be it, but personally I don’t get that.

6. Buck Turgidson

Not a joke, just overcautious and undercautious, depending. Know your food.

Again...when's the last time you double washed your lettuce? FDA says that "pre-washed" bagged greens are ok to eat without extra cleaning...yet that's exactly how multiple outbreaks have originated.

davidio840 and RedRedemption like this.
  7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Probably ate leftover pizza that was sitting out overnight 30x in college after a boozy night. Never had any issues

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Buck Turgidson

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying to not wash vegetables before consumption?

Why would you not thoroughly wash your food before eating?

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

In most cases, I think leaving out pizza will just cause diarrhea, at worst. I don't think anyone has died directly due to eating pizza left out overnight. But not even talking about death - if you can lessen the chance of even getting an upset stomach or nausea or vomiting or whatever, why wouldn't you?

Better to be safe than sorry, even if the worst-case scenario is a midnight case of the runs.

Invisible Fan and RedRedemption like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

No, I'm saying that most people do not do that, not that it's not a good idea.

I'm also saying that leaving pizza out overnight is not a big deal at all.

Since you think leaving bread and cheese out is some sort of health risk, I can understand your confusion.

eta: and again, now that I've seen your above post: germophobes amuse me. If your stomach is sensitive, then by all means do what you think is right. But what you're saying is just ridiculous as a general rule.

#32 Buck Turgidson, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Leaving pizza out overnight at room temperature is less safe than refrigerating it. That should be a no-brainer. Even if eating overnight pizza doesn't kill you, why would you not refrigerate pizza if you're able to? Or otherwise store it so that it's not sitting at room temperature for an extended period of time? It's a lot safer.

Not sure why you're labeling me a germophobe or taking shots at me when I'm simply just recommending safer food practices and habits. There's actual science behind foodborne illnesses causes by bacteria on food.

You can do whatever you want with your pizza. I just recommend not leaving out pizza overnight.

"eta" stands for estimated time of arrival, btw. I think you're looking for "edit:" or "p.s." or something. idk.

davidio840 and RedRedemption like this.
  15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Mostly out of ignorance, I'm definitely refrigerating pizza now though.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think he meant edited to add

but I am 100% on board the food safety train. Leaving food out just isn't a clean way to run your house hold. Cheese is refrigerated. I guess not the Velveeta and canned cheese some here call cheese.

RedRedemption and davidio840 like this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@SamFisher @Os Trigonum

RedRedemption and Bandwagoner like this.
  18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not ideal, but in certain situations it can happen.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I once marinated a steak in a Ziploc bag. I was going to cook it a few hours later, but was tired and got food to go, instead. So I said "I'll just eat it tomorrow". Tomorrow came and went because I forgot about it. About 3-4 days later, I remembered and didn't want to waste the steak, so I took it out of the refrigerator and cooked it. Something went terribly wrong because I was projectile vomiting within a couple of hours.

I guess I got some bad steak or something because even after 4-5 days, meat *should* be good in the fridge. Or so I thought. I'm still not sure what went wrong, but that was the worst case of whatever I've ever had. It took 2-3 days to get over it because I kept running to the toilet.

The only time I had anything that bad was when I tried some sugar-free candy. I'm guessing it was the maltitol in it. Lord Jesus, I was googling seatbelts for my toilet that day. I tend to avoid maltitol nowadays if I can help it.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

i leave it out sometimes when i forget and then throw it away the next morning, because who has time for a day old pizza? just buy a new one.