1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pitching

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ktex, Jul 28, 2020.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

That I'm not sure. I've only found info about the Rodney and De Jon signings.

But this was the league's preliminary player pool:
    https://www.sugarlandskeeters.com/news/constellation-energy-league-announces-preliminary-player-pool

Interestingly, the Skeeters were the first in the nation to form a pop-up league when the Minors and Independents shut down. The four teams are managed by former major leaguers: Pete Incaviglia (who's managed the Skeeters since '17), Dave Eliand, Greg Swindell and one Roger Clemens (along with son Koby). Now it seems other minor league teams around the country are forming pop-ups as well.

For what it's worth, which isn't much, De Jong struck out 9 over 5 shutout innings his last start. Yay?

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. awc713

awc713 Member

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its bad enough that vet after vet are falling off the map, but two of the vets left (Greinke & McCullers) both have ERA's around 5.00 and McCullers Whip is high (1.80) as well.

On the plus side, Javier and Valdez are out pitching both of them by a good bit.

What a wacky season.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Is there a better option than Presley to fill in for Osuna? I used to think James was a future closer, but my guy can't throw strikes so probably not...

I just like Presley in the set up role, don't think he fits as well as a closer.

5. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

LOL.

this is fine this is fine

Nook likes this.
  6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Click earn that damn paycheck and get us some pitching lol

7. JimmyB

JimmyB Member

Move Mcullers to the closer role

8. JimmyB

JimmyB Member

Mcullers should be the new closer.

King1 and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros need Pressly to get back in shape, and the starters to actually get stretched out. Team pitching won't be a strength, but should be okay if the veteran relievers and starters can start acting proven. I liked Bielak in the middle relief/tandem starter like role. Bullpen is really stretched if Pressly doesn't get in shape soon.

#89 Joe Joe, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    King1 likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’d give McCullers 2-3 more starts to see if he can get on track, otherwise move him to the pen permanently. With Osuna out next year they need a closer, and it looks like Javier, Bielak, and Urquidy might all be decent starters for next year’s rotation; add in Greinke (and hopefully Verlander) and they can afford to move Lance to the pen. I think a McCullers-Pressly-James/Taylor/Devenski/Scrubb back end of the bullpen would be solid.

King1 likes this.
  11. toby

toby Member

Presley = set up man, he can't close.
    McCullers = closer until other options exist (possibly Taylor)
    James = long relief
    Taylor = lefty
    draw straws for your starters - they won' be around after the 4th anyway the way the season is going.

TWS1986 and King1 like this.
  12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I agree on moving McCullers to the closer role. If Pressly isn't ready he shouldn't be pitching. No need for another injury

TWS1986 likes this.
  13. Screaming Fist

Lance's issue appears to be a loss of about 3 mph on his knuckle curve, and I'm not sure if this is intentional on his part as high velocity curve balls are about the most stressful pitch for the elbow a pitcher can throw. For instance, while his fastball velo is down slightly from 2018, the loss in velocity on his curve is much more substantial. Given how reliant Lance is on generating whiffs using his curve, I'm not sure if we're ever going to see the same productivity from him if he can't recapture that lost velocity.

Snake Diggit and TWS1986 like this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That might work as long as he works stadiums without retractable roofs.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Maybe unlikely but my hope would be moving to the pen would allow him to push a little harder over shorter outings which would make him as effective as he used to be. There’s also the chance that he’s just not fully recovered yet. But with only one more year of control left, Houston doesn’t have an incentive to invest time getting him fully healthy and back as a starter if it’s going to take awhile. Best to squeeze whatever they can out of him.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  16. Screaming Fist

Yesterday’s loss wasn’t on Sneed, but I wouldn’t mind swapping him for Conine, Dubin, or maybe even Torres if we’re throwing all our rookies out there. I just don’t see any upside at all with Sneed.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Enoli

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sneed would not be my 28th man. Though, I look forward to Conine to see if his slider is good enough.

#98 Joe Joe, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  19. Screaming Fist

It would be one thing if he had better stuff and was just inconsistent, but Sneed’s ceiling appears to be a mediocre middle reliever. What’s the point when you still have a few arms with upside that haven’t been tapped yet?

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

To be a middle reliever? Astros need guys that can pitch innings in the here and now whether or not they have perceived upside.