1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Photovoltaic Solar Panels.... anyone have some?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SmeggySmeg, Feb 22, 2009.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Looking at getting 1.5kw Sollar Panel system over the next few months, prior to rebate declining at the end of the financial year....

this should on average cover a bit of half our consumption...

also doing a few other home improvements, like solar hot water, plumbed rain water tank, new roof insulation, blinds to make our outdoor entertainment area more usual, a new fence and re-do our front yard

just wondering if anyone else out there has solar panels or just have a discussion about it

Smeg

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I have a gate that's solar operated and has a small panel, but that's it. I've thought about jumping into doing it, but the house isn't really efficient enough yet to consider major expense on such a system. Sounds like you're making your way though. I know they have gotten more efficient lately, and are probably a better bet than wind in this area, depending on your location and availability of space.

I have considered wind power, but to get enough oomph would cost 15K min or so, and so haven't gotten past the "we might not get enough wind for that to be worth it (might average 9-12 mph where I am, depending on height of tower.).

Mainly, what I hear is, making as many improvements as possible to the home to make it more efficient (which it sounds like you're doing) is the way to go about it. It was then I realized there was more to do than "buying some solar and wind power generation" than I was ready for.

3. kona-

kona- Member

How much you think it would cost on solar panels to cut your energy in half?