1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFT: Keenum could leapfrog Yates (maybe eventually Schaub)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Fantasma Negro

And the Keenum legend grows...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/10/keenum-could-leapfrog-yates-maybe-eventually-schaub/

1 person likes this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'll believe that when I see it.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I love the fire from Keenum

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

He might beat out Yates for the back up job, but Kubiak won't be playing him in front of Schaub anytime soon. I hoping to see Keenum throw some deep balls in the next few games. I also thought Yates looked pretty good, so the QB position is looking alright.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Did you see any of the preseason game last night?

I mean I know the broadcast was pretty crappy but it was pretty clear when Keenum took the reigns he was absolutely in control of the offense.

Precise passing with great mobility to avoid the rush and make a play. I know a bunch of the guys here have been harping Keenum with little to no evidence but the guy has great feel and awareness which showed last night.

Its just a preseason game I know. But that looked natural out there and I do believe he will supplant Yates as the backup and eventually Schaub as the starter in a few years if he continues to progress. Time will tell.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Given Schaub's history, we could be seeing Case or TJ sooner than we might expect. I love Case's game. Schaub is superior in NFL experience, but I like Case's mind set. I have never seen him get into "scaredy cat" mode or go "happy feet." Hard to gage how far apart their skills might be. Case fits better in the new NFL version of the spread offense via SF, Seattle, and Washington (maybe not any more since RGIII's injury). He is very innovative, thinks fast on his feet, and can pass accurately on the run. He is also very competitive, doesn't get rattled or intimidated. He keeps coming at you.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd like to see what he does against a mix of first and second string players before I start getting all hyped on him.

I liked what I saw though.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Whoooooooose house?!

Keenum's house!

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Stopped reading at: "Mike Florio"

1 person likes this.
  10. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Yep exactly. As a student at UH, I want him to succeed, but right now it's too soon to get really excited.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll be satisfied if Case allows the Texans to cut T.J. next offseason.

12. chocolatebear

chocolatebear Member

I'm hoping case gets a chance to play during the regular season, but he's probably only a little more mobile in schuab. But i guess in that case, it's a lot.

13. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Mike Florio is such a rabble rouser.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Isn't TJ a free agent after this season ?

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

No, he signed a 4 year deal so he has this season and one more. Free agent in 2015 unless we cut (or extend) him before then.

16. Rock It

Rock It Member

People knocked case out of hs they continued to knock him in college but the man is a smart player he understands the game and can adjust on the fly something I think Schaub can't do that easily. Case's throws last night were on the money if not for mahle and jean dropped a combined 3 passes that where right on the money he would have been 16 for 18 for a bit more than the 125 he did throw. I believe in time he could be a leader of a franchise I think he can run the offense better than tj can and I want to see more of it.

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Cool. I just noticed we have alot of key free agents after this season. Graham, Antonio, Cush , Tate ,wade smith, and Earl Mitchell.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

Can surely see him take over for Yates as the backup, but dont eve seeing him being the #1. The player that will succeed Schuab will be Kirk Cousins, or that is my most logical guess to replace Schaub if he falters again. The Redskins will hold on to him through this season, then if Schuab falters again Kubes and Rick Smith will work a deal out with there old friend Shanahan to get Cousins as our new starter for the 2014-2015 season. Maybe a #2 and #3 and Yates for Cousins! Making Keenum Cousins backup and giving he Skins a new backup.

20. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

Cousins along with RG3 are both scrubs who look decent because of their gimmicky wildcat system in Washington. If anything, we get someone with high potential like Pryor from Oakland, who has potential to be a rich man's cam newton.