1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pentagon will deploy US forces to the Middle East after Iranian attack on Saudi Arabia oil facilitie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Pentagon will deploy US forces to the Middle East after Iranian attack on Saudi Arabia oil facilities

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon will deploy U.S. forces to the Middle East on the heels of the Iranian attack on Saudi Arabian oil facilities, U.S. Secretary of Defense Mark Esper announced Friday.

“The president has approved the deployment of U.S. forces which will be defensive in nature and primarily focused on air and missile defense,” Esper said, adding that Saudi Arabia requested the support. “We will also work to accelerate the delivery of military equipment to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the UAE to enhance their ability to defend themselves,” he added.

Esper reiterated that the United States does not seek a conflict with Iran and called on Tehran to return to diplomatic channels. He also said that there could be additional U.S. deployments if the situation were to escalate.

On Thursday, the Pentagon called the recent strikes on the Saudi Arabian oil facilities as “sophisticated” and represented a “dramatic escalation” in tensions within the region.

“This has been a dramatic escalation of what we have seen in the past. This was a number of airborne projectiles, was very sophisticated, coordinated and it had a dramatic impact on the global markets,” Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said, adding that the strike is an international problem.

The strikes on the world’s largest crude-processing plant and oil field forced the kingdom to shut down half of its production operations. What’s more, the event triggered the largest spike in crude prices in decades and renewed concerns of a budding conflict in the Middle East. All the while, Iran maintains that it was not behind the attacks.

On Wednesday, Saudi Arabia’s defense ministry said that drone and missile debris recovered by investigators shows Iranian culpability. Saudi coalition spokesman Col. Turki al-Maliki said during a press briefing in Riyadh that all military components retrieved from the oil facilities “point to Iran.”

[​IMG]
    A picture taken on September 18, 2019 shows displayed fragments of what the Saudi defence ministry spokesman said were Iranian cruise missiles and drones recovered from the attack site that targeted Saudi Aramco’s facilities, during a press conference in Riyadh.
    Fayez Nureldine | AFP | Getty Images
    The latest confrontation follows a string of attacks in the Persian Gulf in recent months.

In June, U.S. officials said an Iranian surface-to-air missile shot down an American military surveillance drone over the Strait of Hormuz. Iran said the aircraft was over its territory. Hours later, Trump said Iran made a “very big mistake” by shooting down the spy drone. The downing came a week after the U.S. blamed Iran for attacks on two oil tankers in the Persian Gulf region and after four tankers were attacked in May.

The U.S. in June slapped new sanctions on Iranian military leaders blamed for shooting down the drone. The measures also aimed to block financial resources for Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Though Trump has threatened to bring military action or even “fire and fury” against American adversaries, he has also said he does not want to throw the U.S. into another prolonged military conflict. In a tweet Tuesday, Trump called his measured response to the strikes “a sign of strength that some people just don’t understand!”

Rocket River

2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Oh, so Saudi wants us back there now. They kicked us out in late 03-04 when we had a base there.

Guessing we move some of our guys from Qatar over and deploy a few more folks. Keep them in your thoughts...deployments aren’t easy.

dachuda86 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

What's the price tag? How much did the Saudi paid to the POTUS and his families?

dachuda86 likes this.
  4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We don't need Saudi oil. We make enough here. They are the reason for 9-11.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Smh, was this voted on or is this unconstitutional? Trump voters who liked him saying no more wars, I hope your watching.

6. Buck Turgidson

I would assume the US has a standing defense agreement with SA that allows this type of deployment for non-offensive purposes.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not doubting SA is cool with it. I'm saying this looks like the first step to war with Iran. Do you honestly believe this won't turn to offensive purposes against Iran?

And on another note, why are we sending defense help for SA? Why are we going to pay to protect SA?

8. Buck Turgidson

I was just answering your question of why this is allowed without Congressional approval. I'm assuming that approval has already been given, hence "standing agreement".

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So, the problem wasn't trump's corrupt act, but instead the problem was finding out about it...

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Excuse to build up the attack force. Bolton is angry it likely won't be a full on land invasion and will be guided bombs and stuff...

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Is @Mathloom still upset about infidel troops being on holy land?

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I agree.. the problem is if we don't send troops and "help" they will start a nuclear arms race with Iran.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

American troops entering mercenary territory. We'll fight your battles as long as you write us a fat check.

Honestly don't believe the Pentagon or the Saudis on just about anything. Talk about no credibility.

15. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Bolton? At least keep up to date with the Trump administration. I know it is hard with all of "the best people" he hires.

16. Amiga

Supporting Member

no, they will not... not if the US (under norm gov) and the rest of the world sanction their ass ... imagine them not able to export oil

(but of course, this US admin is already in hot water for transfer of nuclear tech to the Saudi)

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You live in fantasy land. How did those sanctions work stopping N Korea from getting nukes? You think Saudi Arabia would just sit and twiddle their thumbs if we pulled our support from them while their enemy in Iran is enriching uranium as we speak?

You know what India thinks of the "sanctions" against buying Iranian oil? They don't care and are still buying it. They would have no problem buying more Saudi oil either.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It sounds to me like they have discovered that Americans won't support a war to defend Saudi, and are putting them there as a target so Iran can give Trump a casus belli that Americans will buy into.

Warhawk fingers are crossed that the Iranians will pull a 1984 Lebanon Marine Barracks Bombing so they can release the Kraken on Iran.

My general impression is that, as much as Trump likes to talk a big and threaten people that is entirely bluster and ego enrichment and he really is not in favor of war under any circumstances - it would interfere with his ability to make money for himself. However, I think his narcissism and general cognitive decrepitude means it would be possible for people around him manipulate him into war without too much trouble, if they really wanted to do so.

#18 Ottomaton, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  19. Amiga

Supporting Member

Oranges and apple.

NK doesn’t have oil, is a poor country that has little of any economic value to lose from sanctions. Their survival, in their view, depends on getting nuke to deter attacks from the US. They also use their nuke programs as a negotiation bargains for economic relief and aids.

The Saudi are run by billionaires and their wealth is from oil. They got massive economic value to lose. Are they willing to sacrifice their wealth for nuke? Are they willing to do this when they know that the western powers will protect them because of their oil ? Are they willing to do this when they know the world isn’t going to allow Iran to obtain a nuke and if Iran does somehow get there, and actually use it, they have signed their death bed? I don’t think they would ... in norm time. But yes, they may now because they may see a possible path with this US admin. Under this US admin, the transfer nuclear tech has been allowed and I wouldn’t be surprise if this admin is against any sanction that the rest of the world decided to put in place if the Saudi does decide to pursuit nuke weapon.

Iran faced severe social and economic effects during sanctions of the past done through the UN, US and allies. The current US sanction isn’t that effective since the EU has nullify it, is against it and everyone else refuse to go along with issuing their own sanction.

20. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Or the Saudis will start staying at his hotels again. Give him a little bit incentive to use the military might he has at his disposal.