1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pay to play FF

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by DAROckets, Sep 14, 2015.

1. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

What's the best site to play ?

Talking about the ones with weekly games like draftkings or fanduel

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I've been playing Fanduel since it started 4 years ago, but I did switch over to Draftkings because I like their format better. I don't like having to pick a Kicker.

Made about $80 combined this week on both sites just using the little bit of money I had left over from last season.

If you're interested in signing up a new account, use my referral link and you get a free entry into the million dollar games on either FD or DK.

https://www.fanduel.com/?invitedby=findog19&cnl=da
    https://www.draftkings.com/r/findog19

3. PhiSlammaJamma

4. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I prefer DraftKings over FanDuel.

I like the format and variety of contests.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

What happens with Double headers in baseball at DraftKings? Do you get fp for both games?

6. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Just 1. You can see which game it will count for at the top of the screen, where it lists each of the games for that specific contest.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I play on DraftKings. Between MLB and NFL, I'm up about $150 since I started a month ago.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

9. PhiSlammaJamma

In my first play with Draft Kings ( my free $3), I entered against 57,000 people where you need to finish in the top 20% essentially to get paid twice your investment. Winner gets $12,000.Top 20% get paid $6.

My lineup: This was selected without research or using rotogrinder information. It was all gut.

McHugh (-1) Ugh
    Strasburg ( +48 ) Wow
    Conger ( +12 ) Wow
    Carbrera ( 0 ) Ugh
    Cano ( +4 ) eh
    Wright ( +13 ) Good
    Seager ( +8 ) Good
    Bradley ( 0 ) Ugh - 3ks apparently do not detract
    Buxton ( +10 ) Good
    Harper ( +37 ) Wow

Total Points: 132.5
    Finish: 10,703 ( 18th percentile )
    Winnings: $6

Thoughts: I had two players that essentially peaked last night with Strausburg and Harper, it doesn't get much better, which I thought was damn lucky, and I still barely finished in the money. It seems like if you want to hit a decent payday then you have to at least have three major players hit, and every other player has to at least be very good. That seems very challenging to maintain at first glance. I essentially got a free $3 lottery ticket with a pretty good play ( from my standpoint )

What I think learned: I think I must select players near top of lineup. Not at the end like Bradley. And that you need to pick a few major stars. On average you want each player to get about 12 points which is less probable than not at first glance. But we'll see how it goes.

I will try the other cash and 50/50 games and see what works best for me. But I feel like it will be tough to stay in the money if I continue to play in these GPP's or large group challenges.

Current Status:
    Draft Kings: $31 ( + $6 )
    Fan Duel: $25 ( even )

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

When you play daily baseball, you're going up against thousands of algorithmic lineups. Baseball has the largest amount of data and sample size so the models have much more information to factor in. Pitching history, ballpark average, LHP vs RHP, I imagine the baseball models are extremely more sophisticated when compared to NFL or NBA models.

In all tournament play the "stack" strategy is usually used by the top performers.

For instance on FanDuel I entered this lineup last week.

QB: S Bradford $7600 - 15.44
    RB: E Lacy $8500 - 16.9
    RB: D Murray $8500 - 16
    WR: J Matthews $6800 - 15.2
    WR: D Adams $5500 - 7.9
    WR: Julio Jones $9000 - 30.6
    TE: T Eifert $5000 - 26.9
    K: K Brindza $4500 - 2
    D Miami $4700 - 15

Total entered: $2
    Total winnings: $10

Place 1458/53281

The Eagles Stack was profitable, but only about average for salary. Julio Jones turned out to be a bargain even at his high cost, and Tyler Eifert was a gold mine pick at TE. Miami D was very solid for the price, but my downside was the below average kicker which is why I tend to avoid FanDuel.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Has anyone actually won big? Like big big?

I've only won ten bucks here and there.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Winning big is so difficult. I had some top 1% lineups this past weekend, but even that is only good enough for 2-5X initial investment.

What pisses me off is when I have a lineup hit big in a 50/50 league. My Rodgers/Cobb/Charles stack last night vaulted me up to #1 in a 50/50 with 236 points. Wish I would have played that in the tourney.

13. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I've been playing Fan Duel this year. I did a $5 tourney for the Sunday/Monday night games on Week 3. I ended up finishing #31 out of 137k and won $688. That was a nice surprise. Last week i played the same tourney and won $15.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I did well on Week 3 too. It is funny how you usually make money when games go according to plan and you lose when they don't.

15. marky :)

marky :) Member

I'm thinking of joining just to see what the fuss is about. I'm not expecting to join and win big $ like in the commercials or anything significant.

I'm more interested in the data analyzing that goes into it. Any few quick tips for a complete noob?

Gracias will rep

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Rotogrinders.com is a good place to start. You can customize projections here and optimize lineups.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

Thanks! Can't give any rep to you lol. Guess I used it all up for you in the FF advice thread.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

No worries. I don't need rep. :)