1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Passan) Verlander: MLB juicing balls for more offense

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SemisolidSnake, Jul 8, 2019.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm sure it is because we'd started veering back to a pitcher dominated league, but they've gone too far. Home Runs do make the game more exciting in that every pitch matters more and teams can come back easier, but it also takes away from the beauty of the game. Defense and base running are exciting parts to baseball.

None of it addresses baseball's biggest problem, which is walks and strikeouts. Like Verlander says, you want balls in play. Makes the game move faster and allows for more action. Personally I hate the HR barrage because of how I feel sick anytime the tying run comes to the plate.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is where I'm at. I'm fine with way ball flew in 2018, but real cure needs to be something to slow down Ks. I'd prefer mound moved back by about 4 inches.

3. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

Baseball needs new fans and the believe offense sells tickets. Verlander has 33 million reasons annually to relax. Also, he has nine guys on his team hitting the same ball for him and I like our chances. I think he is just frustrated about the impact on his stats.

Houstunna, Jake Tower and vince like this.
  4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Of course he's concerned about his stats. It was part of his statement:

"I talk about time a lot -- how do you stack up in history? If you're going to change something so dramatically, I think you need to make people aware."

He's working on his legacy now. He's arguably pitching the best he's ever pitched, and yet he's given up a full season's worth of HRs at the break. Has to be frustrating for him and many other pitchers.

5. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

I don’t blame him at all for expressing his frustration. I do believe some perspective is important, though which is why I said he has nine guys banging those same balls in the Crawford boxes off the opposing pitcher.

Jake Tower and juicystream like this.
  6. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Correa ...

HTown2017Champs and mikol13 like this.
  7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah just stay quiet CC. This dude has all world talent, but he’s really grating on my nerves.

HTown2017Champs and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The difference between the 2019 and 2018 homer per batted ball rates appears to mostly be the ball. The difference between 2019 and 2017 homer per batted ball rates appears to be mostly the batter (batter is 7% more likely to hit ball 90+ mph with LA 15-40 degrees [range in which 98% of homers are hit] than he was in 2017, and balls hit 90+ mph with LA 15-40 degrees are homers about 3% more). If Correa is using 2017 as his point of reference, he's not wrong.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh my god this guy.

Any look at Christian Yelich's stats should be proof enough. He went from just a guy to the MVP mighty quickly.

everyday eddie and mikol13 like this.
  10. mikol13

Supporting Member

Love it when he is on the field for the Astros, can’t deny his talent. I’m just soured on him as a person at the moment. Doesn’t mean I don’t like him, just don’t care for some of the recent choices he’s made.

I feel he has a ton of growing up to do. I want him to have a voice and he should have one. Just pick your spots. Coming out publicly basically against a teammate is garbage imo.

Things like this for me highlight the bs massage thing. Is it a pattern? Or is this just when he needs to learn some hard lessons?

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I'm willing to bet he gets dealt end of 2020 or during the 2021 season if he keeps this up.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah, feels like he is slipping away from the Astros culture.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. Major

Major Member

What's wrong with what Correa said? JV said it to basically say offense is out of control and that he's pitching better than it looks. By definition, that's saying that all these hitters aren't as good as they look. If I were a hitter, I'd say the same thing Correa is - you're diminishing his and all the other hitters' numbers. If JV can share his opinion, why can't Correa?

14. Major

Major Member

What does this even mean? All the hitters are using the same baseballs. If Yelich became MVP, it means he became better than other hitters that are hitting the same baseball. What does that have to do with anything?

arkoe likes this.
  15. mikol13

Supporting Member

I think he might be dealt anyway, because we can’t afford him, he’s rumored to want the Yankees, and we could probably extract a kings ransom for him.

Just hope we win another World Series before that happens.

Houstunna likes this.
  16. mikol13

Supporting Member

As I’ve stated, I think CC deserves to have a voice, it’s not that he should not be able to express himself. I think the timing of what he says is poor. Directly after JV saying what he did is just a little odd to me.

Everyone having a good time at the All Star game and he comes off a little petty. Why now? Why publicly when no other offensive player has said anything?

I feel like CC is alienating himself from the team a bit. Of course I’m not sure of that and I still feel like he will be supported no doubt. Now, I don’t mean that it will damage clubhouse chemistry, I don’t think it will. That said, if he keeps up some of this and it becomes regular I could see it hurting some. I’m not trying to overreact here, just thinking out loud a bit.

The massage thing is a lie and everyone knows it. Do the players and front office know the truth? Either way it could be a bit damaging if CC continues to make mistakes. Even little ones may become magnified. I mean do guys feel like dude you F’d up and should be on the field? Not sure.

Again, not saying all this because I feel there are for sure issues, just thinking out loud.

Hell, for all I know, it’s just me projecting, because I’m not real happy with him right now.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Well there a few with a shot to hit 60, and several to hit in the 50's, and a **** ton to hit in the 40's. I've never expected Bregman to be a 40 HR guy, but this is the way the ball is now.

Also, think Correa may be a little jealous he can't get healthy enough to take advantage and will only hit a pedestrian 20ish.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The ball favors different hitters and pitchers differently. Guys with moderate power that hit the ball hard in air often are more likely to have their homer totals positively affected more than raw power superstars by juiced balls. That said, Yelich's power surge was between 2017 and 2018 when the ball went from incredibly juiced in 2017 to moderately juiced in 2018. Yelich is a prime example of a hitter that has improved his stroke to be more geared for power.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't understand this take. Correa is basically saying batters like Bregman are responsible for their improvement and not the ball. Bregman specifically (much like Yelich) upped his homers by over 50% when the ball went from incredibly juiced to moderately juiced. Batters are getting better at driving the ball. Ball is juiced. Both happening at the same time has compounded homer issue.