1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pallilo back soon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CometsWin, May 10, 2017.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Snowflakes everywhere

2. Buck Turgidson

Pure guess on my part, but I bet he's been in Houston longer than he was in NY.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

To be fair, I don't listen often at all but it seems like Adam is a really big Rockets fan.

Charlie coming back is fantastic news. Best baseball talk we have.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure. Adam also works for the Rockets now.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Much longer. He's been on the air here since 88.

That's almost longer than that Anus guy has been alive.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

My issue has always been he's huge to place an Asterisk. When I called him out on the '95 series (where Jordan was #2 in scoring behind Olajuwon) he whined and cut me off.

Think about this: Chicago was gift-wrapped San Antonio's best player for Crap Center parts when SA had arguably the best Center in the league. And, how bo dah,San Antonio gets Tim Duncan and becomes an NBA Juggernaut for over a decade.

But, no... David Stern didn't make Jordan a superstar...

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Awesome news!!

8. Buck Turgidson

I'm sure David Stern's Master Plan was to let the media metropolis of San Antonio tank so they could get a generational talent like Duncan.

"The beauty of this is it's simplicity..."

9. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

"Chop chop, gimme the ringer, Let's take that hill!!!"

10. conquistador#11

Waiting...waiting...
    Dorks on 790 talking UTAH lifestyle. I swear astros played last night.

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

anybody know what times he's on?

12. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

Is Charlie back yet? Sorry, I just moved to Missouri, and would love to get CP back on the radio.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Too lazy to find another radio thread, but damn morning radio sucks. Been giving 610 a shot, but it's just not working. Seth tries too hard to be angry and ****. I hate how every segment needs to have a theme. It feels too forced. Also, I hate Texans all access. That's basically your programming all day already, except it's hosted by Marc Vandermeer. I used to tolerate him, now it's just annoying.

LAM, marks0223 and MadMax like this.
  14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dang, Seth and Mike are a great listen, imo. They have good knowledge and can make it seem like its just a couple dudes at a bar talking sports. Dont think you can get much better than that.

BigM likes this.
  15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I tried to give Anus a shot but I got insanely sick of him turning every topic into some kind of race issue trying to be funny. Today I started listening to Howard Stern again for the first time in 2 years. Very boring but better than that **** and the 40 commercials an hour. The only good AM show left is Matt Thomas and I rarely even remember to tune in.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

So what station is Palilo on now?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Agreed. I listened to Lance Z's podcast this morning.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Charlie-Pallilo-returning-Houston-sportstalk-radio-11437306.php

Pallilo, 51, will work from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays on KGOW with weekly guest appearances on Gow Media's KFNC (97.5 FM), said David Gow, the company's president. He also will contribute to Gow Media's CultureMap website and its SportsMap site scheduled to launch this year and will at some point contribute in some fashion to the company's SB Nation Radio Network.

"I've been trying to hire Charlie for years, but he wasn't available until his departure from 790," Gow said. "We've been looking for the right fit and spot in our lineup for him.

"We think he is one of the top sports talk hosts in the city. He is really thoughtful and insightful and has a great rapport with his listeners. His analysis and his ability to talk about the details of sports and why things are taking place is unparalleled, and I know people will enjoy listening to him on our airwaves."

Pallilo had refrained from comment on his departure since being let go but said Wednesday it was iHeart Media's prerogative to take the station in a different direction in the afternoon drive time slot.

"It doesn't break my heart that it didn't go gangbusters, but if they felt economically and with the type of product that they wanted to put out that they wanted to shift from X to Y, that was their call," he said. "It wasn't a joyful experience, but if it had happened when I was 30 it would have been more challenging and, I presume, traumatic."

Pallilo said he never considered leaving Houston and does not intend to change his more cerebral style of talk radio in his new role on KGOW.

"There will be a difference of working middays as opposed to afternoon drive, but as a solo host I will always want the interaction with callers," he said.

"I will not be modernizing to do a show around phallic references or any similar sub-knuckle-dragging, lowest common denominator material."

While he had refrained from comment, Pallilo said he appreciated the support from those who were upset by his departure.

"It was flattering. Comforting, I suppose, is a reasonable word," he said. "I was aware of the blowback. I didn't engage with it. No one is going to appeal to everybody, but I wanted to be a worthwhile show for a worthwhile audience.

"So for those who swore off 790 and were banging the 'Where is Charlie?' drum, on the personal level it was worth a lot."

In addition to his 1560 AM show, Pallilo will appear from 1 to 1:30 p.m. Mondays and Fridays on KFNC's Joel Blank-Barry Laminack show and will appear from 10-10:30 a.m. Wednesdays with John Granato and Raheel Ramzanali.​

TMac'n likes this.