1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Outdoor grills advice: pellet vs. gas vs. charcoal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, May 23, 2020.

?

Which type of grill do you prefer

1. pellet

23.2%
  2. gas

21.7%
  3. charcoal

55.1%
  1. Buck Turgidson

Depends. How big? What's 'affordable'? Saw this on a quick search, it's a good website for various things so I'd trust them a bit (I don't know anything about any of these grills personally): https://www.thespruceeats.com/top-grills-between-250-and-500-334937

I've kept a $300ish one going for 15 years with cleaning, burner replacements and not leaving it out in the weather (under cover with a cover on it).

Here's Consumer Reports grill buying guide (their ratings are under paywall): https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/grills/buying-guide/index.htm

also this: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gas-grill/

#21 Buck Turgidson, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just fyi @Outlier if you don't need it right away, the #1 recommended grill on that wirecutter site goes on clearance sales at least a couple times a year. Regularly $500, I got one for $220 at Target when they were clearancing them out. That's actually the cheapest I've ever seen it (monitored for a couple years before pulling the trigger) but you see them for $300 or $350 every once in a while. Target, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc always clearance out their stock when the end of grilling season is approaching.

Just create an account on slickdeals and set a deal alert for "Weber Spirit"

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

From my experience in 2008, craigslist is fine, especially if you broaden your search and willing to travel.

Obviously, the great deals go fast. You have to be ready to jump, and search each day, if not multiple times/day. (Maybe set an alert.) You will be competing with pro/amateur Liquidators (who had same idea as me), but are looking to buy then resell.

To see market price drops, could also follow some eBay auctions, and see what ppl are actually bidding vs the original ask.

4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I had a Weber Spirit propane last uncovered for 13 years. Had to replace the ignition and a few other bits but it was still working (albeit beat up) when I finally replaced it with another Weber.

I’ve only used Weber’s but have had no issues and they have a nice warranty and are good value when they go on sale. Can’t comment on other brands

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If you go propane, highly recommend one with a side burner. Have used it just as much as the grill itself.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

What is a side burner and what is it used for

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It’s like a stovetop burner that you can use to grill sides and stuff in a pan

Outlier likes this.
  8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Wish i could find a sale on the weber spirit e310 but home depot doesnt have one right now. Slickdeals website looks kinda suspect with all the ymmv statements ...

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Thanks all for the responses. Still not sure why I want lol.

I’m not doing anything crazy... however had grown to like/love more of the charcoal flavor, especially as the last few years I cooked a lot with wood planks so I got decent at doing a quick smoke to just add flavor.

part of my view on propane has always been .... I have a gas grill inside. Other than the fact that cooking outside can be more fun, isn’t that duplicative?

my quick read on the wood pellets seems like it’s a bit of the best of both worlds? I won’t get any crazy smoke but will get some of that flavor and some of the speed/precision of a propane. But it doesn’t seem to be the most preferred here???!

10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

It really just depends on preference and what is suitable for you personally. I always use charcoal and wood for grilling or smoking. I have a 14 month old and then another on the way in 6 months so my all night smoking days are more limited but I find time to do it so I don’t lose the touch.

Pellet grills are really nice if you get a good one like a Traeger or similar. Some people (I know a few) think wood pellet grills are for p*****s that don’t know what they’re doing. I disagree with that sentiment but I understand their thought process on it because there’s a great feeling when you nail a badass brisket using wood vs using some compressed pellets, pressing a button, setting a timer and forgetting about it. But hey, whatever is best for you is what you want to do. You probably won’t find any BBQ joints using a pellet grill.

Think of it like this, do you want to press a button and cook or do you want to set up charcoal/wood and cook? Then think of the flavor differences that come with it. It’s all a preference and hard for someone to really point you in a good direction without knowing your budget, time you want to spend cooking, what type of cooking, etc.

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Go lump charcoal or wood. Im a bit obsessive about grilling. Ill eat food from propane/pellet but would never want one for my oersonal use. IMO it just yields a better flavor.

Company called "The Good One" Is where I got my most recent grill it is The Open Range model. Burly steel, not too deep and a bad ass smoking compartment. It was $1100 iirc but we use 2-4 times a week year round. Ive also owned The Green Egg but found it challenging sometimes. Still both are great.

I have 4 16 oz Tajima Wagyu coming next weekend.

Blatz and davidio840 like this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I have had Weber charcoal, then a Charbroil Infrared, and back to a Weber Genesis (connected to a gas line that I had added to the house when built). Breeze to use, never need to get propane tanks swapped or refilled. I have used the side burner once.

Looking at getting a Masterbuilt electric smoker... any experience or advice? I'm lazy, thinking I can monitor using my cellphone, so interested in one with BT.

13. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Weber kettle with chimney starter and a few grate accessories. It’s what I use for anything quick. Charcoal is ready in less than 10 minutes

Blatz likes this.
  14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

How does a Weber charcoal kettle break? Just curious because they are built to last forever.

15. JayZ750

Yeah so if I really think about it I’m not super crazy about true smoker BBQ really slow and low cooks. I’d like the option to do it but I have lots of kids too so not crazy free time on a weekly basis.

I myself might have had some of that “really” on pellet grill perspective ... but as I was researching it, just seems similar to charcoal to me, just more controlled.

Obviously real wood is the “realest” but again I won’t be doing real amazing BBQ all the time.

I am more likely to do a quick hour cook if burgers, meat, fish and veggies 70% of the time .... But also want some smoke capabilities and flavor.

the pellets look pretty interesting as the new ones allow for both smoking and searing with flames

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  16. CCorn

CCorn Member

Pellet is the most diverse. If you’re a snob go for charcoal.

17. JayZ750

it lasted about a decade.

the I got careless about leaving it out uncovered in rain too often and then some rats started living in it. So there’s that.

we’ve solved the rat problem a while back - we have a rat snake somewhere around we’ve seen twice over the last 2 years and then we have an owl box and we get eastern screech owls in it like 6 months of the year. The last two years we’ve had a pair with kids. This year they had 3 babies. But in either case.... no rats! Lol.

it was only $165ish when I bought it so definitely their lowest end one.

I’m currently leaning towards pellet but still researching....

18. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Chimney starters are the best. The quickest, easiest way to start charcoal. If you don't have a lot of time, but still prefer a charcoal grill, you have to get one of these.

JumpMan likes this.
  19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So less broken and more you have converted it into a wildlife habitat? That's pretty cool.

20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does gas taste as good as charcoal? Specifically for hamburgers.