1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Out of our cotton pick'n minds

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Apr 13, 2018.

?

What is your opinion of this story?

1. This phrase offends me

2.9%
  2. ESPN is way too liberal/progressive

38.2%
  3. This phrase doesn't offend me but shouldn't be used anymore

35.3%
  4. Fire the announcer

11.8%
  5. Astrodome is a cuck

11.8%
  1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I have also heard "cotton-picking hands".

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Especially you.

This thread is a great example of what is wrong in America. People are confused why a picking cotton reference directed at a black man is offensuve. Seriously.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I think we are confused because we are constantly beat over the head to 'not see color' and then in the next sentence, we are being crucified for not being sensitive to a certain group.

Which is it? Should we look at people, see all their differences, and go through a mental check list on how we could offend this person?

We are not confused why the term could be offensive (to the ignorant).

What we are confused about is why everyone else is being offended for him.

This is a great example why America can not get past this racial anvil. People like yourself look for every opportunity to get offended.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would argue that most realize that it's not offensive, but there's always the select few morons who will try to spin non-stories like this.

If the announcer had called Westbrook a "cotton picker", then that would be offensive, that didn't happen so calm your t***.

mick fry likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is an area where a little information could help solve this whole issue. The statement was never meant as derogatory towards any race or people who pick cotton. If anything it is sympathetic to the hard monotonous work of picking cotton. It was something that people of any race who grew up around the cultivation of cotton would understand. So since it wasn't intended to be directed at or used to lump people of any race into any category that knowledge would hopefully keep people from using it as a racial attack and also keep people from feeling attacked at a racial level.

It is understandable that people might mistakenly think it was an insult towards a race. Our nation's history is rife with examples of that kind of thing. So it makes sense.

I think understanding why some might take it as an insult would also help alleviate some of the problems.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

he wasn't trying to be racist.

DudeWah and Astrodome like this.
  7. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Any person working in a professional team-oriented environment in any field needs to have good social and cultural awareness, including a solid understanding of what's currently acceptable and unacceptable in social discourse. You have to know when to play it safe and when you can get away with being cruder with your communication and language.

This is especially true for anyone working in a public-facing position (such as a broadcaster).

I don't think Brian Davis is a racist and I don't think he intended to harm or offend, but what he said was definitely inappropriate and an unwise choice of words. Davis's apology and a brief suspension were necessary. Learn from it and move on. To be extra safe, maybe consider attending a sensitivity training class, similar to what Yuli Gurriel did this past MLB offseason.

That said, some of the outrage in response to it was ridiculous and over-the-top (e.g. people stupidly yelling for him to be fired and his life ruined). I strongly dislike this "outrage culture" and "triggering" that's infecting our society lately.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

I don't think there was a malicious intent behind it, but if someone finds it offensive who am I to say it isn't.
    i've never heard the saying. does picking cotton make you insane that you would use it like that in a sentence?

Making top hats in the 17th century that led to insanity as hat makers endured mercury poisoning. many many many people don't know that.
    Can you believe there are some Millennials that are wearing fedora hats and no 3 piece suit?
    Westbrook should not have won mvp last season! disgraceful. Western media lies lies LIES! Forever big yao!

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I always thought out of your cotton picking mind came from heat stroke victims who had been cotton picking.

Seems like a crazy thing to go after someone for. If players were offended they should just tell him to stop it, people are being way too sensitive on this one.

cml750 and Astrodome like this.
  10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The apology was enough. There was no ill intent with his words, but he acknowledged that it could be mistaken that way. The faux outrage is enough to avoid using that phrase again.

The suspension was excessive punishment. No need to financially hurt the guy for a silly mistake that harmed nobody.

11. CometsWin

I laughed.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My great-grandfather had 400 acres in East Texas and grew cotton for a time, as well has owning a store in a small town up there, and I remember my grandfather talking about picking cotton when he was a teenager. He said everyone pitched in. The family lost it all during the Depression. As for the phrase, I heard it often enough growing up.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are confused.

It's not complicated. Don't discriminate. That's what it means to not see color - don't see it when it comes to how you interact with someone.

As for offensive words...you can say whatever you want honestly. But don't be upset if you upset someone. I mean you are complaining about someone complaining about what you may say. Do you realize how petty you sound?

If you accidentally offend someone you can claim ignorance or you can not care. It's your choice whether you want to be sensitive and respectful of other people. You may think someone shouldn't be offended by what you say and I agree, but it still doesn't hurt to stop being a prick and stand in other people's shoes on occasion.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

WTH? Common sense coming from the Sweet Lou camp? Are you still trolling?

cml750 and Space Ghost like this.
  15. CometsWin

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

17. CometsWin

5 years x 365 days x 24 hours = 43,800 hours
    43,534 posts

bobrek was right, you are nearly at 1 post per hour every day for 5+ years and a sociopath to boot. You are a special kind of special.

bobrek likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah so you can't counter what I said so you didn't even try. Brilliant job Tariq.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I don't think someone should be punished for being a stupid racist idiot. What they should do is make him explain why he thought this was funny to a bunch of black students and then have him listen to them tell him why it's not funny.

Then everyone can let it go.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that that is offensive and racist. I just want to point out that "out of our cotton picking minds" isn't really a reference to black people picking cotton.

Like I've said before I understand about giving a wide berth when referencing cotton picking and if it offends someone by all means stay clear.

CometsWin and Duncan McDonuts like this.