1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Great allies the despotic Saudis kill a Washington Post Journalist.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Oct 12, 2018.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Let him grasp at straws.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It really is though. Khashoggi was a part of an anti-Saudi government group that sought to overthrow the government. He provided money and support for people inside Saudi Arabia so that they could coordinate plans without having their communications traced or intercepted. Al-Qaeda sought to attack the US and others, the groups Khashoggi was involved with and helping fund were just against the Saudi government and seeking to attack them.

Again, you can say that you approve of him being a traitor and seeking revolution in Saudi, but you can't say that isn't what he was or that the US would have treated him any differently if he was going against them instead of going against Saudi Arabia.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope. The two are not even close there isn't an equivalence. It isn't accurate to make the claim that they are.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree. You see an enemy of the US as different than an enemy of the Saudis, I get why you see it that way, but when it comes to the state ordering the execution of one of their citizens for being an enemy of the state, it's the same.

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Killing a journalist in a foreign soil consulate is absolutely not same.

Smh. Wow.

Exiled and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I see someone who is in leadership of a group that has declared war on the United States carried out an attack on the United States killing 3k civilians and brought down the World Trade Center buildings as different than someone who wrote critical pieces of the Saudi government. Yes. I do.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He did more than just write pieces critical of the Saudi government, he was actively organizing, funding, and aiding groups that sought to overthrow the Saudi government...essentially declaring war on them. Odd that people continue to ignore that and harp on the "journalist" narrative instead.

Again, we're just going to disagree on this one. You see a traitor and enemy of the US government as inherently worse than a traitor and enemy of a different nation and there's just nothing that can bridge that fundamental disagreement.

So if Awlaki had called himself a journalist, it would have changed things? I mean, I agree that it's not the same, using drone strikes to kill your own citizens and their innocent children is much different than killing one person in a foreign consulate.....I just disagree which of those is worse.

How about if I told you that a second American citizen named Samir Khan was killed in the same drone strike as Awlaki who was a magazine editor? Would that change things? Does he not count because he wasn't a "journalist", just a publisher and editor?

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Al Qaeda didn't "essentially declare war" They did. He hasn't been reliably tied to terrorist groups despite the attempt to do so. They tried to say he was a part of the Muslim Brotherhood which is false. Khashoggi was not equivalent in any way with the head of Al Qaeda propaganda that the U.S. killed (not murdered) in a military action.

So yes, we will have to agree to disagree.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a former member of a terrorist group (Muslim Brotherhood, which is completely accurate) that he remained sympathetic to and he was directly tied to revolutionary groups seeking to overthrow the Saudi government. That makes him a traitor and enemy of that state. He was actively attempting to help them carry out operations inside of Saudi Arabia without the planning being detected by the government.....I mean, there's just no way of spinning it.

You are okay with the US murdering our own citizens when they are traitors and enemies of the state, but you aren't okay with Saudi Arabia doing the same. It's okay to think that, but we're just not going to agree.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

Are serious?
    Also you are comparing a terrorist to a journalist? LOL. You are a riot and cannot be serious..

I can make any qualifier and throw "if" in front of it.. double wow because you just cant kill journalist in foreign soil consulates. You just cant. Not sure what your allegiance is to saudi but all I gotta say is creepy and I hope you are getting paid well.

Why do you want to erode freedom of press?

Weird part here is even the saudis are trying to play make up and execute 5 of the guys.

So here we are where you are defending saudi arabia when they themselves are saying it wasnt cool. So like literally the whole world is against your opinion LOL. Its uncanny and it seems you wouldnt want it any other way. Its contrarian weaksauce and i dont know you from adam but I dont suspect you will apologize for support of erosion of freedom of press.

its creepy af like not in a cute way at all. You just cant kill journalists in foreign soil consulates. You cant. You also cannot compare freedom to terrorists. You just cant. Eroding freedom of press shame on you!

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Do you seriously believe that a terrorist can't call themselves a journalist or work as a journalist?

Clearly that is factually inaccurate.

Fun strawman, but anyone paying attention knows I never suggested anything of the sort....again, was that what the US did when they murdered a US citizen who was an editor of a magazine with a drone strike in Yemen?

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

You are saying that a journalist that works for the washington post is a terrorist? LOL
    You are nuts because you attribute on some level being a journalist with being a terrorist? The wow quotient again is through roof. He was a journalist how hard is that to accept? He worked for the washington post. Not sure why you hate freedom of press.

strawman and you bring up yemen? You are crazy what are you talking about? Khassoggi was not a terrorist no matter how hard you wish it to be. Keep saying it. Its strange man.
    Im giving you every chance to walk it back and you wont. Its sick.
    Comparing a journalist to terrorist is a weird place to be. I dont get the saudi arabian love to be frank so semantics of murder being accepted is gross in of itself. journalists.
    yawn.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, I'm saying that a person can be a "journalist" and a terrorist at the same time.

When it comes to your Washington Post "journalist" he was a former member of a terrorist organization that he remained sympathetic to and he was a Saudi citizen actively working to overthrow the Saudi government....pretty much makes him an enemy of the state wouldn't you agree? The fact that someone gets a job as a "journalist" doesn't change any of that.

Yes, what you said was a strawman. So answer my question, does the editor who was a US citizen that was murdered by the US via drone strike not count because he was just an editor and not a "journalist"?

As to Khashoggi, I never said he was a terrorist, I said he was a former member of a terrorist organization who remained sympathetic to them and their goals if not their motives. He was someone who spoke glowingly of Osama Bin Laden earlier in his career. He was also someone who was a Saudi citizen and enemy of the state due to his association with, support for, and funding of a group seeking to overthrow the monarchy.

When you are engaged in treasonous acts against your country, your country might kill you for it. That's not a new thing.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Where is the link to a credible source that the journalist is a terroist?

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

just because someone posted this garbage claims on Twitter, it doesn't become relevent to the truth

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

well, clearly, it is to some

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I was wondering where this story that Khashoggi is a terrorist originated from.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/orde...oggi-the-muslim-brotherhood-and-saudi-arabia/

In recent days, stories have appeared highlighting Jamal Khashoggi’s ties to the Muslim Brotherhood and arguing, as one put it, that “in truth, Khashoggi never had much time for western-style pluralistic democracy…for Khashoggi, secularism was the enemy.” Amplified by pro-Saudi social media and echoed by right-wing commentators in the United States, the subtext of these stories seems to be that the United States should be cautious in championing Khashoggi’s cause, because he was less of a liberal voice than he seemed. At the more extreme edge of this media campaign, there’s the implication that Khashoggi was an extremist and that those who condemn his apparent murder are serving an Iranian agenda to break up the U.S.-Saudi alliance.

I won’t address such conspiracy theories, but a few points can shed some light and context on this rumor mill

FranchiseBlade and Exiled like this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hitler was person of the year too. It’s never been about how a person is nice. It’s about influence

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but it is true. He was a radical Islamist. His main beef with Saudi Arabia was that they were going against a group he was once an admitted member of, the Muslim Brotherhood which is a terrorist organization. One of his direct quotes on the matter was "Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman should get rid of his complex against the Muslim Brotherhood and stop treating them as the enemy or a threat to Saudi Arabia". I mean, he may not have been a member anymore, but he still felt the need to speak out on their behalf.

He was upset that Saudi Arabia refused to embrace "political Islam" and was turning their back on extremists by reforming....and even worse, by having relations with Israel instead of attacking them. The guy was a childhood friend of Osama Bin Laden and they even joined the Muslim Brotherhood at the same time and shared dreams of creating an Islamic State. They believed that if they did so the first one "would lead to another, and that would have a domino effect which could reverse the history of mankind.". He never really gave up the goal of creating an Islamic State, even after ISIS beat him to the punch and failed. He was hoping to turn Saudi Arabia into the next Islamic State, wanting to overthrow the monarchy because they were rejecting extremism.

This guy was an extremist. He was dangerous. He was deemed a traitor and an enemy of the Saudi state. Sorry, but these things are pretty much undeniable.