1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opening Day Ticket Prices

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by texans1095, Feb 26, 2018.

1. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Maybe this doesn't deserve a thread of it's own, but I thought a lot of people would be interested in this. Last season the wife and I went to Opening Day and paid about $45-$50 per ticket. We sat in the first row of the upper deck. Perfectly fine view of the field. Didn't break the bank at all.

This year? No cheaper than $99 per ticket for nosebleed seats. Several hundred dollars if you want to sit anywhere near the dugout.

I understand raising the prices because it's Opening Day the season after the WS victory, but I'm a little surprised at how much they are.

FYI, this person has early access to single game tickets because they are a season ticket holder.

CrushCity likes this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im with you, it ridiculous but you could go to the 2nd game of the home opening series for a significant price reduction. Thats the night they reveal rings as well. Thats what Im gonna do.

texans1095 likes this.
  3. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

It doesn't bother me. Simple supply and demand. I'd rather pay that much to the organization than someone on the secondary market.

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Trust The Process (this is all for Altuve / Correa contracts) haha.

I'm sure someone is selling his opening day ticket for 8 future season game (3rd base tickets) ?

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Opening day is clearly a game of greater interest and demand than a normal ticket, particularly given it's their first home game as champs.

Doesn't really bother me all that much, or at all for that matter.

6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Doesn't really bother me either. I understand it. They'll sell out the game despite the prices and they'll make a ton of money off of it. Just found it interesting how much higher they are compared to last year. I won't be going to Opening Day but we'll see how the second home game looks.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This is how you profit from a World Series title. It's not imaginary numbers. Merchandise is just one aspect.....ticket prices the following season are another. Like someone else, if we want to keep Altuve and Correa here, this is the way that happens.

CrushCity likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, of course the price is higher than last year. No banner to unfurl. No rings to give out (although I think they're doing that the 2nd game).

I have a feeling the first 2 weeks are going to be jam packed... especially the weekend series. Then? You'll start seeing some openings and dynamic pricing in its favorable state.

I'd be very surprised if they failed to draw 3 million fans this year... which hasn't happened since 2007, but did happen 4 times after the park opened in 2000, including the year after they went to the WS.

That alone, combined with dynamic pricing, is going to make some fans unhappy at the sticker shock... every game that featured an increase in price before (Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers weekend game) is going to go up by an additional factor for this year's team.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Sure, it's kind of crappy of the Astros to price gouge THIS must but but we are the CHAMPS. Nothing can upset me right now, lol.

10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I have early access too. Logged in to get the tickets, saw that nosebleeds were in the 100's, logged back out.

CrushCity likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Fans want the Astros to spend money and keep the stars around...fans gotta pay.

The Beard likes this.
  12. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Ticket prices for the second home game are waaaaaay cheaper. Around $25-$30 for nosebleeds.

13. texans1095

texans1095 Member

They tweeted out an early access link. Access code is NEVERSETTLE

14. Poloshirtbandit

I love the Astros, but yeeeaaah I'll watch from home.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I was that way until my wife asked if I wanted her to get tickets for Opening Day today.

16. Poloshirtbandit

Similar story when my wife asked if I wanted her to buy tickets to game 2 of ALCS.

Joe Joe likes this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Added bonus: Itll also be dollar dog night. Rejoice!

texans1095 likes this.
  18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Somewhat related: does anybody know when the gold-tinged merchandise that they'll be wearing for the first game goes on sale? I'm not a jersey guy, but I'm looking to grab one of the hats.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

After dishing out $1200 for G5 tickets (still worth it), that'll be a pass for me, Crane. I'll buy nosebleeds when the A's are in town on a Tuesday.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member