1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Once upon a time Beard was a 4th quarter ASSASSIN, Right?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Oct 26, 2017.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where did that guy go? I barely knew ya!

The year we went to the WCF to play the Warriors, I had so much faith when James had the ball in the final minutes of a tight game. He was closing for us all year long, and it was almost a given that we would win If it was relatively close. He was clearly the MVP that year, even more so than last. I remember when we acquired him, one of the biggest selling points for me was that he was leading the Thunder in 4th quarter scoring, whilst coming OFF THE BENCH.

The last few years, that has all changed. I get a mounting feeling of dread when we bring James in at the 7 minute mark. I get worried and anxious, because I just know the top of the key isolation's are coming. The stagnant movement and lack of rhythm is imminent. Game 6 against the Spurs gives me nightmares, but we all could see it coming for multiple years. At the end of games, James huffing and puffing, running at 62% on both ends of the floor, his handles getting progressively shaky, refs let some extra physicality go, and BOOM, James is on the ground collapsed and the other team is sprinting down the floor for dunks. Maybe I'm insane, but doesn't that happen every single time we lose nowadays?

Now tell me, Is this a product of me watching WAY too much James Harden, and overreacting to every little detail?
    Or does he seem, somehow, different to you guys too? (Here is to hoping CP3 steps in and fixes this issue)

Mazulis, napalm06 and cheke64 like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

he seems far more willing to settle for an off the dribble three after draining most of the shot clock these days, and his 3 point shooting is regressing

14-15 was the best version of Harden...better jump shot, tighter handle, quicker, more athletic, better shot selection

Mazulis, kevtse, alethios and 9 others like this.
  3. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

14/15 Harden was otherworldly. I think he had 7 game winners that year.

I agree to a majority of things you've said but if I recall correctly, James took way more mid range shots that year.

His shot selection has been groomed even more so the past couple seasons to shoot a three, take a layup or pass to someone who can do the aforementioned things.

I think that's a big difference between James now and then. Also, he's been out of shape a bit here and there and has lost a step athletically.

However, James still has a killer instinct and more often than not will make the right decision. (See last nights game.

Mazulis, alethios, Ozzy and 2 others like this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

100% agreed. I'd also add that his defense overall was better, or maybe just more consistent.

Reeko likes this.
  5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely agree that 14-15 Harden was the best, especially in late game situations. He single handedly pulled so many wins out of his ass it was ridiculous. Just in attack mode all the time, relentless. Didn't shoot nearly as many 3s that year.

I'm fine with his play so far this year. He had one really bad close against Memphis, but otherwise he's been good. He made a great decision to pass off to Gordon on that last play last night. I think having CP3 back will help him close game as well.

Ozzy and RudyTBag like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, it's further proof ESPN is brainwashing the fans

And this is knote32, who watches WAY too much Harden.Think of the other fans who only read ESPN's game recap last night that didn't mention Harden, instead of the game.

1:42 Ben Simmons bad pass (James Harden steals) 96 - 104
    1:13 JJ Redick misses 25-foot three point jumper 97 - 104
    1:03 Clint Capela makes alley oop layup (James Harden assists) 99 - 104
    0:38 JJ Redick misses 26-foot three point jumper 99 - 104
    0:30 James Harden makes driving layup 101 - 104
    0:30 Joel Embiid defensive goaltending violation 101 - 104
    0:30 JJ Redick shooting foul 101 - 104
    0:30 James Harden makes free throw 1 of 1 102 - 104
    0:06 shot clock turnover 102 - 104
    0:05 James Harden blocks Jerryd Bayless 's 12-foot jumper 102 - 104
    0:01 Eric Gordon makes 24-foot three point jumper (James Harden assists) 105 - 104

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

You know what’s crazy? Go look at espns replay of Gordon’s game winner. It’s literally only comments about how harden fouled Embiid or wasn’t man enough to take the shot. The hate is so real.

Realistically, a foul could’ve and probably should’ve been called on each of the 3 defenders that came into contact with Harden. But alas, all he did was all he does. Play extremely efficient basketball, setup his teammate for the win and celebrated in his success.

**** anyone who doesn’t think that’s what’s happened because that’s what happened. His initial defender is holding him, the 2nd hacks him and pushes him towards Embiid and Embiid is blocking. Go watch it again. 3 fouls but people just see harden and let the lies roll.

Oh and by the way, great shot Eric.

glenadyll, slothy420, RCPM and 8 others like this.
  8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Harden was getting anally raped last night by the refs. Defenders were hanging onto his arms all night and the refs made him a target. They decided before the game to not call any fouls for James Harden. That is what my eyes saw and it F'ing pisses me off like you wouldn't believe.

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

You are spot on, I figured it was partly conditioning and thus tired at the end, but it’s mental and our strategy. Finally someone who truly acknowledges how Harden indeed used the midrange way more.

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i honestly haven't seen harden in better shape and more committed to defense than so far this season.

go figure

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This. He is DEFINITELY in better shape and is far more attentive on defense. The problem is we are still learning how to play smart with the strategy of 3s and layups. That's a recipe to tilt a team's favor in the win column overall for the course of an entire game, but inside of the last 5 minutes of a close game when every point counts, there aren't enough possessions left for that strategy to be successful. It makes sense if we are down by a lot(increase variance), but if we are up or in a close game with limited possessions left to win, you have to be willing to abandon the strategy and take the best available shot. That's the difference between the well coached Golden States and San Antonios of the world and Houston(not that D'Antoni is a scrub, but he isn't Pops). 3s and layups is a long term strategy which is why we struggle in close games when we need short term results. That sounds silly after we just won a game on a last second 3 but that happened to be a good look for Gordon that happened to go in.

mathor, jayydela, RyanB and 2 others like this.
  13. OTMax

OTMax Member

No, it’s not. That’s one game. Harden has not been the closer he was in 14-15. Last 2 years he has seemed more tentative, settle for shots and not performing well under pressure, though Game 6 of Clippers series was pretty bad. Still there’s a clear difference. This year, let’s hope last night is the Harden we will see in the 4th all the time.

RudyTBag likes this.
  14. Mr Chuck Norris

Harden saved McHale's ass and Lin to a lesser extent so much that year smh....Yeah 14 harden was unconsciously clutch. Hard to replicate that. Mostly off jumpers too. He does need to get back to his Mid range jumper as it was his bread and butter. He used to take and make so much but this offense got him away form that.

RyanB, cheke64 and RudyTBag like this.
  15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

That's one game, in a season where 5 games have been played... Are we also forgetting the big shots that he has taken to close the lead against the warriors in the 4th this season?

Here are just a few from last season.

I can put money that in the next 2 close games that the Rockets play, that Harden will be making some big plays down the stretch (under 2 minutes to play). As heypartner says, stop looking at what ESPN feeds you and actually watch the games. Is there a big difference between hitting the very last shot of the game to win the game, or hitting the 2-3 consecutive shots in crunch time to seal the game? Was James Harden's And-1 shot against Embiid yesterday any less valuable than Gordon's game winner?

#15 flamingdts, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    RCPM, dlite316, Ozzy and 1 other person like this.
  16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I have watched Harden since he was at Artesia, and I don't think it is ESPN that is brainwashing me as you guys proclaim. He constantly makes plays, because he is used in every single play and he is a truly great player.

That said, something has just seemed off the last couple years.

whathappened likes this.
  17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

If there is any comfort, the official "clutch time stats" of Harden and Westbrook last season (who many would proclaim was incredibly clutch last season) have them both sharing practically the same TS%, with Westbrook slightly ahead by a difference of 1 TS%.

RyanB likes this.
  18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

A couple points.

• In okc whilst off the bench, he wasnt the defenses focus. Thus he was able to attack lesser defenders because Durant and Westbrook drew the priority.
      • Side note about this, Miami decided to focus on Harden in the finals and lock him down. Not Durant, not Westbrook, but harden. Shutting harden down is the reason I believe okc lost.
    • That 14-15 year, he had one of the most clutch seasons of ALL TIME. A lot of it had to due with his new fancy mid-range step back (sup @OTMax ). He was otherworldly and phenomenal that year, especially with that go to move
      • I will admit, I'm all for 3s and layups and not a fan of midrange unless your elite and that's all the defense gives you. That being said, I have always held steadfast in the belief; that at end of game situations of a tightly scored contest, mid range and it's higher 'probability' of going in is more important than points per shot efficiency, aka the contested 3 (hello e-god from last night)
    • Being tired and worn out at end of games and sloppy play, absolutely is a direct correlation from constant defensive focus and hacking he faces all game long and all season long, imo. Tell me another player other than lebron who constantly drives drives drives drawing as much contact as he does, while being the primary focus on defense all game while constantly being trapped and double teamed. It's difficult, and he gets sloppy and tired and lazy but if he didn't he would be like lebron, which is ridiculous to ask for

#19 BigMaloe, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He was the king of the step back in that season. Slowly lost that shot. now he does step back threes which are inconsistent as hell