1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Once again, last day of school!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, May 23, 2019.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Finishing out another year of school today! One final exam to administer and the kiddos leave half day. Of course, we have a workday tomorrow to put away the room and get final clearances, but my room is already put away, and It will just be a matter of turning in five folders.

This will complete my 27th year teaching. Of those 27 years, this was the first year I didn't coach basketball, and as much as I loved coaching basketball, I really enjoyed the extra time and energy i gained from that decision. My head coach has approached me numerous times to come back, but I'm good with my decision.

Even though I had that torn hamstring and herniated disc back in January, everything else has made for a smooth year, especially compared to the last three years of my life.

Some big milestones I'm reaching here:
    -My youngest son graduates high school next Friday. He is already enrolled at UTRGV and has decided to follow in his mom's and my footsteps and go into education. He is going to follow his passion and wants to teach choir. He has numerous choir awards, including peforming at state, and he recently returned from a performance at Carnegie Hall with some members of his high school choir group. He is also a regional qualifier in swimming and was recruited to go to and offered partial scholarships for Colorado, North Dakota, and some others I can't recall, but in the end, he chose to stay near family and I respect that decision.

-My oldest son finished up his first year at A&M in the engineering program. Technically, he is considered a jr because he received so many AP and dual credit hours in high school that he essentially received credits for many of his basics.

-My youngest son turns eighteen within two weeks and my June paycheck will be my last child support payment. That's like an $8400 dollar raise annually. Of course, I will continue to support him, but his mamma's hands will be out of my pocket.

-I should become debt free by the end of next month. My only payment, aside from the cell, insurance, internet, stuff like that, will be my half of a boat payment. It doesn't mean I'm going to go on a crazy spending spree. That just means I'll be putting away for a rainy day, but enjoying life.

-Two and a half years until I can retire at 51....Although I may try to stretch that out to four years if the state legislature can pull their heads out of their asses and pass HB 3. Regardless, the four years will be to make sure my boys make it through college, plus the extra years improve my percentages for my retirement returns.

-Vegas in 3 weeks. I love Vegas.

Aside from all this, I plan to do plenty of fishing...I need to restock my stand alone freezer...and BBQ! I 'm going to fire up the pit and drink cold beer as much as possible.

I only wish that Dad was here to share in this with me, and that Mom's health would improve.

#1 Falcons Talon, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

love this! sounds like life is pretty good for you at the moment--congrats!

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Beach time!!!

[​IMG]

TMac'n, Amiga, sammy and 3 others like this.
  4. Falcons Talon

Thanks... it's been awhile since things have been this smooth. God willing, it will last a while.

daywalker02 and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

final exams ended for us last week and my older daughter is graduating college on Sunday. then she's off to Oakland CA for her first teaching job. it's an exciting time

Falcons Talon likes this.
  6. Falcons Talon

Ummm..just to clarify, that is not me

Uprising likes this.
  7. Falcons Talon

That's all great news!!!! Congrats to you and her!!!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Where did you find that picture of me?

daywalker02, sammy and Jontro like this.
  9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Congrats to you and all the other teachers out there.

My wife (and kids) last day is a week from tomorrow. Happy for them....but it does mean the end of my peaceful work-from-home Mondays and Wednesdays for the next couple of months.......

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

You can retire at 51?

Jontro likes this.
  11. Falcons Talon

I can retire at 51. Texas teacher retirement requires the teacher reach the magic number 80 to retire...age plus years of service.

FranchiseBlade and Rocket River like this.
  12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I wish I looked that good.

daywalker02, sammy and Jontro like this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Minimum age 55, unless I've misread.

14. Falcons Talon

https://www.trs.texas.gov/Pages/active_member_eligibilty_requirements.aspx

Normal Age Retirement
    For persons who became members of TRS prior to September 1, 2007, had at least five years of service credit on August 31, 2014, and maintain membership until retirement, the following eligibility requirements must be met to qualify for normal age retirement:

• Age 65 with five or more years of service credit, or
    • Any combination of age and service totaling 80 with at least five years of service credit.

When I turn 51, I'll have 30 years of experience.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

retiring at 51 seems kinda young. what would you do after that?

Rocket River and Falcons Talon like this.
  16. Falcons Talon

That's the whole point. I want to be able to do anything I'd like to do while I'm still young enough to really be able to do it. Fishing. Traveling. Hunting. Beach....Most of all, not have to work.

I'm so looking forward to being on the bay on a weekday when there is almost no boat traffic!

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Sounds awesome man. Enjoy.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Great work FT

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

For many career civil servants the rule of 80 permits early retirement which gives time for either a second career or returning to their original job and drawing a salary and retirement (i.e. double dipping). The state has closed the revolving door of double-dipping that used to exist but does permit some return to work retirees. I know several folks who retired from the state young enough to earn a second retirement check from a city or county job.

Jontro and Falcons Talon like this.
  20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Wow...I guess the trade off for lower salary as a teacher is you can retire really young.