1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Omnibus] Cops behaving badly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Sep 4, 2017.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Officer on leave after pulling gun on biker

King County sheriff's detective Richard Rowe did not identify himself as law enforcement until 35 seconds after approaching motorist Alex Randall.

2. likestohypeguy

I understand mistakes happen, but when it's clear they're getting physical or pulling a gun out of rage, they should either lose their job, or be reassigned to something where they don't interact with public. No gun.

Invisible Fan and KingCheetah like this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Police departments should have zero tolerance for this type of behavior and should screen their applicants better.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Drug Screens for Roids and other drugs
    and
    if they are fired they should be bannedd from law enforcement nation wide

Rocket River

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Unfortunately, like teachers, the bar to become one is way lower than it should be for the job they do. The pay as well...

7. hvic

hvic Member

people on power trips

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

And many wonder why all the protest.

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

So I guess everyone is just going to not say anything about the latest round of unarmed people being shot by the police or the fact that there has basically been a officer shot and killed every month this year.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Those two things are probably connected. The more officers shot and killed, the less likely officers will be for giving people the benefit of the doubt.

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

The last shooting lasted 17 seconds there was no benefit of the doubt in that case it was just shoot first. I know that they say that this guy may have been busting car windows but why shot him 20 times. The shooting in Greenspoint why wasn't a taser used the officer had a taser but used his gun instead.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, that's what I'm saying, the more cops get killed in the line of duty, the less likely cops will be to give people the benefit of the doubt. It's a pretty awful situation.

I watched the video of the guy shot by cops in the back yard but the body cam doesn't show much. The guy allegedly ran from them and the story is that they mistook his phone for a gun in the dark. I don't think there is anything that could come out to disprove that narrative so right or wrong, I think the cops avoid conviction, probably avoid charges. I could see them getting fired though.

I didn't see the Greenspoint thing though, so I can't really speak to that one.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Law enforcement is full of cowards.

The slightest perception of a threat...
    "SHOOT CENTER OF MASS!"

So how many officers have to die before they have a more dangerous job than a construction worker?

No one discuses about the brave men and women of our construction corps.

One of the largest barriers of having legitimate harsh criticism of our law enforcement community is the romanticization of the proffesion which is ironically perpetuated by "liberal hollywood".

#13 fchowd0311, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Surprised nobody has made a Stephon Clark thread yet.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody cares anymore, too many threads about police shootings that turned out to be completely justifiable so now all examples of police shootings are nothing more than background noise

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Yeah but we can usually count on one SJW on the left or CHUD on the right to keep the race war going.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Define "full".

The fact is that the shootings, although highly publicized, are rare. The conflicts where cops could use lethal force but choose not to are not something that the media chooses to report.

Tomstro likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm speaking of the entire method of training of shooting center of mass over the slightest of provocation. It's to a point where if you are black, brown or white and your wallet fell down onto the carpet of your vehicle you feel as if you are risking your life trying grab it even if you inform the officer.

We can speak in relative terms to other parts of the world and in those terms US law enforcement is far more trigger happy than all other law enforcement communities in first world developed nations.

Having a massive amount of peers who have entered law enforcement and understanding their mentality, a core issue with law enforcement in this country is the type of people the career attracts.

#18 fchowd0311, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Dec 2017

An exclusive analysis of data from the 50 largest local police departments in the United States shows that police shoot Americans more than twice as often as previously known.

Police shootings aren’t just undercounted — police in these departments shoot black people at a higher rate and shoot unarmed people far more often than any data has shown. Recent reform efforts have already worked to bring down police shootings, our investigation shows. Yet Attorney General Jeff Sessions is moving away from these reforms, to the dismay of advocates, experts, and some local law enforcement officials.

VICE News examined both fatal and nonfatal incidents to determine that cops in the 50 largest local departments shot at least 3,631 people from 2010 through 2016. That’s more than 500 people a year. On more than 700 other occasions, police fired at citizens and missed. Two-thirds of the people cops fired at survived.

https://news.vice.com/en_ca/article/xwvv3a/shot-by-cops

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Baton Rouge police chief has fired one of the officers in the Alton sterling case for violating use of force.

The body camera shows that sterling asked why they wanted to detain him and the cop threatened to kill his “fat ass” if he didn’t shut up.

I wonder why he was scared and struggling?

mdrowe00 and Amiga like this.