1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OKC's Westbrook ft. Paul George & Carmelo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Jeez... with no chemistry, Westbrook, PG and Melo killed it. I watched the entire game last night vs the Knicks, and damn, even though it's just the Knicks, still, without chemistry, the way they played just looked so jeezus smooth and easy.

Westbrook didn't force anything and had a triple double, with 2 super stars next to him.
    He literally was 7-12 on shooting with 10 boards, 16 assists and 21 points with a +29 on the court.

As much as I hate to say it, they are going to be damn good. Just gotta see how they play against the Warriors/Spurs/Rockets the 4 times they play during the season and just overall how the season plays out for them injury wise. But man oh man, do they look good even without chemistry. They could become scary good.

I also wonder if PG and Melo stay next year... but for now, this 2017-2018 season for OKC looks promising.

swyyyguy and Ozzy like this.
  2. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I know I will get a lot of heat. But Melo is a better basketball than Eric Gordon and would've significantly improve both our offense and defense. OKC right now is better than Houston.

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. photojoe

photojoe Member

Oh geez.... one game... against the Knicks.

Meanwhile, we beat Golden State.. at Oracle Arena.. on their ring ceremony night.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really thought the opposite. I was thrilled to see Melo chucking long twos and keeping the ball away from George and Westbrook. Plus, they have a completely doo-doo bench. The terrible Knicks were sticking with them for long stretches of time and they have literally the worst guards of all time.

4th best team in the West, IMO. Good 1st round tester for GSW.

BigMaloe and BigShasta like this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

The knicks are horrible...let see how good they look vs Golden State.

RyanB and Pen15clubber like this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yea they're gonna be good. No doubt about it. It will be very comical watching the media salivate over everything they do, though.

As we're seeing this morning, the Thunder's home win against the Knicks is being praised more than the Rockets road win against the Warriors.

Dayop, Mr. Dominant, RyanB and 3 others like this.
  8. Sadboy

Sadboy Member

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

of course they're going to be good. that shouldn't even be questioned. but the problem is they are extremely top heavy. Their supporting cast sucks. whats going to happen when all 3 guys aren't playing at a high level. that's not going to cut it against the elite teams. that's their issue. they can easily beat the sorry teams in the league that have no problem losing but its going to be a problem when you take 1 or 2 of them out of the game.

BigMaloe and RudyTBag like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

we all thought you thankfully deleted your account. you've been mighty quiet in the GARM. but we know you're just waiting for the rockets to lose for the first time this season to pop up again over there. typical

Reeko, MrButtocks and BigMaloe like this.
  11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yes, you will

No, he isn't

No, he wouldn't

No, they aren't

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's just the Knicks.

That said the fit looked very natural. Westbrook handles the ball and creates. George and Melo can both spot up and iso some.

saleem and Mr. Dominant like this.
  13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Please go root for them you pile of garbage

14. Tdugs710

Tdugs710 Member

Westbrook played well. Paul George and Carmelo Anthony? Not so much. They shot at high volume to get their points. Additionally, they played against a team that is not going to be known for defense. I'm not impressed until they play against some real competition.

Mr. Dominant, RyanB and RudyTBag like this.
  15. Tdugs710

Tdugs710 Member

You are on crack. EG has played extremely well in the first two games. He attacks the rim, he plays defense, he can shoot the three. Melo does maybe one of those things. EG has undoubtedly looked better in the first few games. Maybe in 15 games you can have an argument with statistical proof, but right now you are just spouting out feelings over fact. Write those down in your diary instead.

RyanB likes this.
  16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Let's wait until they face a real team. Then when it's down to crunch time, someone wants to play hero ball. That's the real test.

RyanB likes this.
  17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The team looked okay. When the Knicks were playing decent defense, Melo and George were struggling. For whatever reason, the Knicks D got lazy in the 2nd half, plus Hornacek screwed up having Kanter in there since that put Porzingis on Melo, which is a mismatch that favored Melo.

The negatives that I saw was that the offense was one on one and unless they were causing turnovers, the pace was pretty damn slow. It's similar to what Harden and Paul do, where they have been taking turns creating based on isolation, the difference is that Paul/Harden are willing passers and attempt to make their move quickly versus George/Melo/Westbrok don't really move the ball and take their time to make their move. Plus, Harden and Paul have been looking to throw the pass from the backcourt to frontcourt early in the shot clock, leading to open threes. I didn't see that with OKC yesterday and I definitely don't expect them to do it throughout the season, since that's not Donovan's type of system.

OKC will be good based on talent alone, but in the past Westbrook/Melo/George, have usually slowed down the pace to get their shots, which is going to make them much easier to defend them. You also have to add in that Melo and George were taking long two's which is just going to make their offense that much more inefficient. I still expect them to be 3-4 seed, but not better than the Rockets and definitely better than Golden State. They don't have the defense to compete with GS.

RyanB and RudyTBag like this.
  18. icewill36

icewill36 Member

They don't have the defense ? Did you see how they were forcing turnovers last night?
    The defense is going to be great IMO. Melo is even locked in on that end. They will turn defense to offense with the best of them. You could see last night they need work on both sides of the ball, but you could also see the amazing potential of this team.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

They were forcing players like Ron Baker to turn the ball over, I'm not impressed lol. I honestly don't believe they can compete with the warriors. Melo has never been a good defender and Westbrook is just as bad as Harden has been in the past.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member