1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ohtani out until 2020?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobrek, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Of course he's having his arm rebuilt, did anyone actually think otherwise?

He should play RF and be a badass, he'll never be a pitcher for more than 4 years or so.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His arm won't be of value to anybody if he can't stay on the mound. They babied the hell out of him as a pitcher, and he still got hurt.

An outfielder with great speed, massive power, and an elite arm is pretty f**king valuable.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  3. HTown2017Champs

Yeah, I think he has a great future as an outfielder, probably right field. And if he really wants to pitch, well he can always go back to the mound in relief during garbage innings. Given how the bullpens are evolving I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of that in the future. As things stand I believe we've already set the record for most position player pitchers in a season, and there's still a month to go.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he eventually reinjures the elbow after surgery, he can still play the OF or be converted to a full time hitter the rest of his career.

But if surgery and a year of rest get him back to being a stud pitcher, that’s far more valuable than anything else.

He’s still young. I wouldn’t F around with his recovery and try to get him to bat more just so he’s doing “something” in 2019.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because nobody ever recovers from TJS? It’s one ligament... a vital one for pitchers, but still very recoverable and not his whole “arm”.

He’s got a tremendous backup option as a hitter if none of it works out.... but it’s decidedly worth the effort given the investment and potential future he offers.

Unless you think having surgery would somehow make him a worse hitter...? Then, not sure how they can ever say swinging doesn’t affect his elbow one bit.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A lot of this reminds me of the debate/dilemma surrounding Bo Jackson’s initial desire to play both football/baseball.

Both sides said he should focus on just one.

It is somewhat amazing that he got back to playing professional baseball with a freaking artificial hip.

craigharmann likes this.
  7. Progs

Progs Member

2 years ?! dAmn

8. Buck Turgidson

Jackass math here: there's 3 days of the season he will not be playing: the day before/of/after his starts (he has said this, it's his routine). He will, liberally, given rest and DL time, start 25 games in a year. Are those 25 starts (plus games missed with rest) worth the 75 games he won't be playing all-world-level RF and batting 2 or 3 next to Trout? I'm all for him trying and I want to see him play for a long time, because he's fun as hell, there's just not a great track record of NPL pitchers lasting too long before breaking down, regardless of their workload before coming to the States. None of us now how this is gonna work out, because it's never happened before.

We're through the looking glass here, Nick.

Make him a DH/closer, blow every statgeeks mind.

#48 Buck Turgidson, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Shohei Ohtani biggest mistake was playing in the American League, if he is Pitching he is not hitting 4th in the Lineup.
    The Angels medical staff are all garbage, puncturing injection after injection since the offseason when he signed, when I first read about the Plasma Injection, I was thinking he damaged his arm. The Angels care about money not the health of Shohei. Shohei chose LA for Fame and Location. The Angels I honestly don't believe will ever win a Title. Trout and Shohei are stuck like Bryce Harper, Max Scherzer, Juan Soto. Pujols, Upton horrific contracts is unmovable.

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Soo... a glorified JD Davis?

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Regarding pitcher hitters... Rick Ankiel may come back as a pitcher...

https://deadspin.com/rick-ankiel-who-could-and-then-couldnt-might-1828089246

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I just think its presumptuous to have him give up his starting pitching career after the most common pitching injury to all pitchers. He's also younger than most Japanese imports, with less miles on that arm.

Lastly, its not like he's Babe Ruth. He's a good hitter. Is he an all-world hitter or expected to be one? That's the only way you have him give it up for good... and even then, Babe Ruth pitched a full few seasons before making that call.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nook likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

So other than 3 games we've already discussed, just what the **** are you talking about. Nick?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

?? Talking about those suggesting Ohtani just abandon trying to be a starting pitcher.

16. HTown2017Champs

Why not? Big fan of versatility myself. I love "complete" players, just do. They're fun to watch.

17. Buck Turgidson

I was just throwing out the thought exercise: is it worthwhile for him to try and do both? Or is it better to do the 1 or the other full time?

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he can pitch, he can also hit. If he can’t pitch, he can apparently still hit.

Why not try to get him back to where he can pitch? The worst that happens is he misses some potential time where he could have been hitting.

Also, this arbitray “can’t hit the day before you pitch” rule is completely made up. IF he’s that vital to their lineup, he should hit on days before he pitches. I heard he doesn’t even really throw bullpen sessions... so its not like he needs some sort of extra work the day before he pitches.

It’s also his decision... whatever he ultimately wants to do, he’ll do. I just don’t foresee him being as transcendental if he’s just a hitter.

Nook likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Made up by him, and the team he plays for, I guess by definition that is in fact "arbitrary".

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Fine then... even more evidence that he values the pitching just as much, if not more-so, than the hitting.

It’s arbitrary in the fact that there is no precedent for it, no studies or metrics that show its required or beneficial, and one cannot simply bullshit through the reasoning as to why it makes sense.... unless he gets laid twice the night before he pitches, which in that case, he has to get an early start on it.